Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fstopfanatic Quote
Thanks to you all for your insight. I assumed I was on the right track considering air quality. I'll try my polarizing filter and see if it helps. Waiting for a truly clear day here may not be an option.
When you try your polarizing filter, keep in mind that the strongest polarization of the scattered light is at a right angle to the light source (probably the sun). You can actually see this on a non-cloudy day when the sun is up: while looking at the sky at a right angle (90 degrees) with respect to the sun, rotate the polarizer. You will see a strong effect (the sky gets darker = you've filtered out some of the scattered light), whereas if you repeat the experiment looking more or less towards the sun (or far away from the sun), the effect will be less (there's not as much scattered, polarized light for the filter to reject).

Also keep in mind when shooting on a hazy day, that the crud (water, dust, pollen, ...) does what is called "forward scattering." This is the scientist's term for the fact that small particles tend to forward the light along the direction from which it came - a bit of a beaming effect. So, if you are looking through the air at something sort of in the direction of the sun, the scattered light will be worse than if you are looking at something with the sun behind you.

It's all just physics!!