Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2017, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Who needs that? I have a lot of old issues in my freezer.

06-10-2017, 03:00 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Who needs that? I have a lot of old issues in my freezer.
I used to have stack of 100 or so issues and would sometimes go back to see what was said when they first tested the original Contarex and Bronica in particular.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-10-2017 at 09:53 AM.
06-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If the film photography"comeback" continues perhaps we will see the return of some worthwhile photo magazines in print.

Chris
I don't believe film will have a comeback, and will ultimately succumb to the same fate as Popular Photography magazine. Any product needs base support to produce a profit and when that base erodes, some point is usually reached when the bottom line says "discontinue". Film is still popular and has a base but it is slowly decreasing. That's one of the reasons I bought my K-1 (there were several others including the fact that it is a ful-frame camera), but I see handwriting on the wall and expect film to be a hard to come by commodity at some point in the future.

Popular Photography had a lot to offer including tutorials on using post processing products, techniques that apply equally well to digital photography, and it was always a reference for new products and buying information that one just can't get on the internet. It was up to its publisher, but I suppose at some sales level, producing the magazine just wasn't profitable.

All that said, I will still miss it and the "added value" it provided.
06-10-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I don't believe film will have a comeback, and will ultimately succumb to the same fate as Popular Photography magazine.
I guess it depends on the definition of comeback. In 1996 I was teaching about 10 courses of film photography to roughly 200 students per year. In 2006, it was more like 100 film students and 100 digital students. By 2010, film hit an all time low with about 20 films students vs. 180 digital, but since then film has rebounded and in the last three years I've been seeing roughly 50 film students and 150 digital.

It will never return to the late 90's but unlike Popular Photographer, I do not believe it will become extinct. Popular thought that NO ONE would own or ride horses when cars replaced them; no one would buy or play acoustic musical instruments when electronic ones replicated them; no one would pay crazy money to go to the cinema with everyone owning televisions.

Magazines have evolved into youtube channels, cable programs, and a few beautiful high end publications wrapped in plastic at the Barnes & Noble magazine rack. Yes, film will never come back to pre-digital days, but Disney's Star Wars Rogue One was shot on film, and although almost all pros have gone digital, some never will and more hobbyists are rediscovering film.

In 1996, most high schools and universities in my state had dark rooms. In 2006, most of those dark rooms were shut down. Since 2010, I would estimate 20% of the schools have re-opened their dark rooms. So if a comeback means 100%, you're right. But unlike Popular Photography which will probably not come back, film has rebounded from near extinction. And as cool as those of us who are "analog native" find digital tech, there is a whole generation of digital native youth that can sense and appreciate the unique qualities of analog media.

06-10-2017, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

I don't mean to drag my own thread off topic but just to respond to Alex645, I didn't mean that film photography would dry up and hope it doesn't. It's just my fear that the medium of 35mm film may be hard to find in future years. Rochester has sold off most of its film coating equipment (or scrapped it), and if you look at what happened to printing papers, the same could happen with roll film (well it has - anyone for 127 or 620 film??). Let's hope the demand for 35mm and 120 film (and sheet film media) keeps up so those with an interest in chemical photography can continue to enjoy its merits (I'm all for that).

I agree Popular Photography has a very slim chance of coming back but it's one resource photo programs should make use of by having their students peruse old issues. There's treasure there to be found.
06-11-2017, 03:15 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you've been concentrating on the latest and greatest digital wondercameras
you may not have noticed the increased number of new films being introduced.

Chris
06-11-2017, 03:56 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no shortage of magazine stands in my neck of the woods, and no shortage of photo magazines on them. The majority fall into three camps: those confirming Nikon or Canon buyers' choices; those concentrating on reviewing gear, with a smattering of picture-taking advice; and those displaying a great variety of fine art photography. I bought Popular Photography in the early 1970s, but got tired of the classified ad-heavy content, which was the norm in most US photo magazines, then. After that, I tended to buy UK magazines, most recently Black and White, and not much else. Lately, I've not purchased much paper reading other than books. I put a bidet in the "bathroom" some years ago, so the recycling option is off the cards, too.
06-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What little I see on the newsstand lately is targeted at digital gearheads.
Not real different from what PopPhoto was, even before digital came along.
Elsewhere I mentioned I preferred Modern Photography before the merger.

I'm old fashioned. I don't like online magazines. Reading online leaves me cold.
Give me printed matter any day. Make it affordable and I might even subscribe.

Chris

06-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I don't mean to drag my own thread off topic but just to respond to Alex645, I didn't mean that film photography would dry up and hope it doesn't. It's just my fear that the medium of 35mm film may be hard to find in future years. Rochester has sold off most of its film coating equipment (or scrapped it), and if you look at what happened to printing papers, the same could happen with roll film (well it has - anyone for 127 or 620 film??). Let's hope the demand for 35mm and 120 film (and sheet film media) keeps up so those with an interest in chemical photography can continue to enjoy its merits (I'm all for that).

I'm not sure 127 & 620 are a good comparison; those were discontinued in 1995!
06-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #40
Pentaxian

What I liked about Popular Photography was its coverage of a range of photographic techniques including chemical, digital, and even outdated ones like platinum and palladium printing. Although I had little time to dabble in some of those topics, many were really interesting as was the history of photography which was included occasionally. Other current photo magazines don't include much of that and with budget restraints, probably won't. I think the number of photographers out there with interests in "dated" photo topics is falling off and with it, the readership of Popular Photography which lead to it's folding. There will always be a group that enjoys the "older stuff" but that group just isn't large enough or interested enough to support a periodical like PP when costs for publication are as high as they are today.
06-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Modern Phot was assimilated by Pop Photo in 1989. Modern had Keppler that was a legendary Pentax guy.
06-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I actually had a subscription to both at the time and remember my MP sub being folded over into the PP. I think Keppler might have been one reason I have been a near lifelong Pentax user. I know I always held Pentax in reput because of his reviews and articles and before I had a "professional" camera (SLR), I wanted to go with the brand.

My first SLR was a Practica which had the Pentax thread so I gathered a few lenses which were Pentax compatible. Before I could afford a Pentax, they switched to the K mount and my dreams were dashed (well almost). My next camera was a PZ1-p and I started with new lenses, this time Pentax brand. Again my dreams were dashed when the photography world went digital (well not really since I'm an engineer who works in that stuff and was really optimistic about it). I guess you could say I was disappointed though since I wanted a FF DSLR and nothing came from the Pentax camp with enough resolution.

That brings us to present and my purchase of the K-1. I consider it to be a Pentax camera with FF capabilities and FF resolution higher than any color film - well done Pentax-Ricoh.

Many of the PP articles along the way helped enormously with my photographic leanings, and equipment reviews in it were responsible for several of my Pentax purchases (lenses mostly). Now that Pentax (Ricoh) has introduced the K-1, I hope some photo magazine will pick up the void and start including a few articles lending to this camera and its use.

Last edited by Bob 256; 06-21-2017 at 01:16 PM.