Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2017, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will miss Popular Photography Magazine

I just got back from a one-week vacation and was greeted with a postcard notification that Popular Photography magazine is folding shop, and that my subscription would be fulfilled with another magazine. I have to quit taking vacations!

I'm sorry to see this magazine go. It has been the photographer's go-to source of information, help, and ideas over the many years of its publication - a sign of the times for sure. Point-and-shoot cameras, Cell phones, and the decrease in interest for "real" photography have contributed to lowered sales and this magazine's demise.

Ranks up there in the realms of Kodachrome film.

Popular Photography will be missed.

06-06-2017, 01:04 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pop Photography was an icon and will be missed, but part of the reason they folded was that too much of their income came from ads in the back of the magazine. I donʻt get why B&H still sends me a huge paper catalog when I can go online and get the info faster, easier, and more accurately. Such a waste of trees, ink, and energy.

Magazines that are still bought or subscribed to offer some added value. For example video game mags include a DVD of freebies and teasers. I still subscribe to Outdoor Photographer because of the columnists that regularly have their spin and style on photography. I guess the main problem with Popular Photography was that the loyalists were mainly 35mm SLR advanced amateurs. Today popular photography is called an iPhone, Instagram, Pinterest, etc, and the magazine didnʻt evolve with the times.

In many ways, forums like this one and web sites like dpreview have replaced those magazines. Super8 Kodachrome has been replaced by 4K video. But.....if Kodak ever resurrected Kodachrome 64 in both 35mm and 120, I would dump my E6 stock immediately. Bye bye Velvia, thanks for the memories.
06-06-2017, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
In many ways, forums like this one and web sites like dpreview have replaced those magazines. Super8 Kodachrome has been replaced by 4K video. But.....if Kodak ever resurrected Kodachrome 64 in both 35mm and 120, I would dump my E6 stock immediately. Bye bye Velvia, thanks for the memories.
The Kodachrome infrastructure is gone. It isn't coming back.

Catalogs are still sent out because you need something to read in the bathroom...
06-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Covered here:

'Popular Photography' magazine and PopPhoto.com to close after nearly 80 years - PentaxForums.com

and here:

Popular Photography Magazine is Dead! - PentaxForums.com

06-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Pop Photography was an icon and will be missed, but part of the reason they folded was that too much of their income came from ads in the back of the magazine. I donʻt get why B&H still sends me a huge paper catalog when I can go online and get the info faster, easier, and more accurately. Such a waste of trees, ink, and energy.

Magazines that are still bought or subscribed to offer some added value. For example video game mags include a DVD of freebies and teasers. I still subscribe to Outdoor Photographer because of the columnists that regularly have their spin and style on photography. I guess the main problem with Popular Photography was that the loyalists were mainly 35mm SLR advanced amateurs. Today popular photography is called an iPhone, Instagram, Pinterest, etc, and the magazine didnʻt evolve with the times.

Is Lisl Dennis still part of the line-up(yuck)?

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2017 at 17:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I just got back from a one-week vacation and was greeted with a postcard notification that Popular Photography magazine is folding shop, and that my subscription would be fulfilled with another magazine. I have to quit taking vacations!

I'm sorry to see this magazine go. It has been the photographer's go-to source of information, help, and ideas over the many years of its publication - a sign of the times for sure. Point-and-shoot cameras, Cell phones, and the decrease in interest for "real" photography have contributed to lowered sales and this magazine's demise.

Ranks up there in the realms of Kodachrome film.

Popular Photography will be missed.
I started in 1980 and Herbert Keppler was at the helm of Modern Photography. He left, MP went down and now he was the boss at Popular.Now there is nowhere to go.

Last edited by tabl10s; 06-10-2017 at 03:21 AM.
06-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a shame. I'm a current subscriber to Pop Photo, and my dad subscribed from the 1950s until his passing in 1987. I canceled my subscription to a competing magazine (Shutterbug) several years ago, because it was wall-to-wall advertising, and had very little in the way of useful information. This is the end of an era.

John

06-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I miss being able to go to the newsstand and choose among decent photo magazines.
Come to think of it I miss being able to find a decent newsstand...

Chris

06-06-2017, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Kodachrome infrastructure is gone. It isn't coming back.

Catalogs are still sent out because you need something to read in the bathroom...
Yes, youʻre probably right, although there is always the possibility that some crazy millionaire resurrects one K-40 processor and.....yeah, probably not coming back.

Catalogs for the bathroom? If iPads and tablets havenʻt replaced them, phones are the new potty toys.
06-06-2017, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Catalogs for the bathroom? If iPads and tablets havenʻt replaced them, phones are the new potty toys.
Nope. No electronics in the bathroom...Especially touch screens
06-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

There's a guy who's been developing a replacement process for Kodachrome, and he has been talking to at least two small labs. Though that won't cause any new Kodachrome film to be made.
06-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the replacement process color isn't that good. A friend said " at least you could scan it and fix the color".
06-07-2017, 04:46 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Purchased and had subscriptions to US Camera, Modern Photography, and Popular Photography going back prior to purchasing my first 35mm, an Asahi Pentax S with f2.2 preset Takumar. There was always something amusing in the April issue. Now, of the mags I used to pour through, there is only Shutterbug, where I found an acceptable price for a used 200mm f4 SMCA macro.
06-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Yes, and there may be more than one use for this in the bathroom.......

I donʻt get why B&H still sends me a huge paper catalog when I can go online and get the info faster, easier, and more accurately. Such a waste of trees, ink, and energy.
I still get those also and I have noted the waste as well.

I have noticed that the grocery stores I go to no longer have any photo magazines. But honestly, when I did look at them I thought I could get the advertising and article information already on-line, so why bother. And, doctor's offices typically don't have photo magazines in the waiting area, so no market there.
06-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Nope. No electronics in the bathroom...Especially touch screens
Put the phone down before wiping. Wash your hands after. Problem solved.
06-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We live in hope...

If the film photography"comeback" continues perhaps we will see the return of some worthwhile photo magazines in print.

Chris