Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Popular Photography Magazine is Dead!

Just got a notice my renewal has been canceled and the magazine is ceasing printing effective the March/April edition.

It was interesting reading to some degree and did have some informative articles in most issues. Enough that I will miss it at least a little.

Regards!

04-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that, Jim. I think many more magazines will go to the wall in the next few years. I stopped buying Amateur Photographer (the UK's longest-running magazine) maybe a year ago. Whilst I prefer reading real magazines and real books, I wasn't gaining any knowledge or information from it that I couldn't learn from the internet at zero direct cost...
04-01-2017, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sorry to hear that, Jim. I think many more magazines will go to the wall in the next few years. I stopped buying Amateur Photographer (the UK's longest-running magazine) maybe a year ago. Whilst I prefer reading real magazines and real books, I wasn't gaining any knowledge or information from it that I couldn't learn from the internet at zero direct cost...
You're right BigMack, but it is nice to sit down and go through the pages and have a look around. PopPhoto was cheap enough, and I got a few good ideas from it at times.

A reminder that we need to keep up our DONATIONS here so that we have a place where all we need stays available.

Regards!sq1 Squirrels are big believers in donations and practice what they preach!
04-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've been a long time subscriber to PP and always looked forward to getting the next months issue. I recently realized they switched the publication to bi-monthly. Seemed like the magazine was getting thinner and the print/paper quality wasn't as nice. I suppose the handwriting was on the wall, but I didn't pay attention. I still have over a year left on my subscription and awaiting from Bonnier group to see what happens next. A refund ? choose a different magazine ?

04-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You're right BigMack, but it is nice to sit down and go through the pages and have a look around. PopPhoto was cheap enough, and I got a few good ideas from it at times.
I agree, it's nice to sit down with a coffee and a real paper publication - be it a newspaper, magazine or book. I have a Kindle Paperwhite with hundreds of books on it at any one time... but I still buy the occasional paperback novel, because it's a completely different experience. When I go away for weekend breaks, I make a point of taking only paper publications with me to read. It's definitely more enjoyable.

Amateur Photographer is (and always has been) a weekly publication, and to be fair, it's a great way to keep up with photography news... but, as a member of my local library, I can access current and back issues online. It's difficult to justify a £100+ annual subscription when I can read it - albeit slightly-less-pleasurably - on my tablet...
04-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always preferred Modern Photography. Years ago when they merged
it was just like the old Popular Photography, only with Herbert Keppler.

When I come across a newsstand I check out the photo magazines.
I have seen nothing that interests me enough to purchase in years.

Chris
04-01-2017, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi BigMackCam, here are some interesting stats for you to consider regarding interacting with physical media. Postal authorities have been uncovering interesting insights with neuroscience. Did you know that when you interact with physical media....

- it requires 21% less cognitive load to process (versus reading from a screen)
- message/material recall is 70% greater for up to two weeks
- physical media drive a 20% greater motivational score to take action

While reading on the internet may be free, physical media creates deeper message imprinting because more senses are stimulated (touch, sight, even the smell of paper). Some universities have compared testing scores among students who have studied course material on digital screens versus those whom have used traditional textbooks. Guess which group consistently scored higher?

For thousands of years humans have written down things that are important; on cave walls, stone tablets, papyrus, and paper. We have thousands of years of evolution while interacting with physical media while only a couple of decades of digital. If you read to learn then physical media may be a more efficient channel. Have you read a book to relax? Does reading a screen put your body equally at rest? Just a thought to consider.

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 04-01-2017 at 05:27 PM.
04-01-2017, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I couldn't find a link for the Royal Mail/Canada Post research referred to, but an online search revealed that there's been quite a bit a other research on the topic of learning and retention using the two media. This article from 2013 in Scientific American is cited as a good summary, although it misses a later Radford study on the subject.

04-01-2017, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer hard copy of any sort over reading off a screen. Can't stand to read "news" in the internet. Pop up ads. Flashing ads to get your attention. Videos trying to load and shifting the image around. Sorry to see Popular Photography going the route of so many magazines. I remember when Wired was pushing 250 pages and more. The early computing magazines in the 1980's were pretty awesome too.
04-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a double whammy. Not only Popular Photography, but I got a notice of my last issue of Hemming's Sports and Exotic. Sad state of what's happened to print media. I really prefer to pick up the magazine than read it on line. I like being able to escape being behind a blasted computer for everything. Part of the appeal of getting back into the darkroom too.
04-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Hi BigMackCam, here are some interesting stats for you to consider regarding interacting with physical media. Postal authorities have been uncovering interesting insights with neuroscience. Did you know that when you interact with physical media....
For thousands of years humans have written down things that are important; on cave walls, stone tablets, papyrus, and paper. We have thousands of years of evolution while interacting with physical media while only a couple of decades of digital. If you read to learn then physical media may be a more efficient channel. Have you read a book to relax? Does reading a screen put your body equally at rest? Just a thought to consider.
Interesting, and for me personally, there's definitely something in it. As I mentioned, I prefer reading real paper publications, and I definitely find it easier to absorb and retain information from the printed page, and it's definitely more relaxing.

That said... I do enjoy my Kindle Paperwhite. It's somewhere between a real book and reading from my PC screen in terms of enjoyment. At times, I can almost forget I'm reading from a screen... Almost.
04-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope you'll find some adequate substitute.

I also read a photographic magazine - the specialized german FineArtPrinter. Comes every quarter of the year - so gives you time to think about it - very welcome and contrary to the permanent updating internet.

The magazine is made of thick nice paper and isnít overloaded with advertisement. It's filled with special articles about printing, presentation in general, different kinds of workshops (e.g. framing, matting, ...), sometimes offers reports about interesting cameras, not technical chart but personal driven experience, and introduction of artists and their work (portfolio). You feel the authorsí engagement. It gives me inspiration and shows me opportunities where I could go with my photography. Something really different to technical and advertisement driven standard photo magazines. Feel, read and prints in good quality - love it. Often I take older versions out of the shelf and read them.

Hope the magazine will survive with this nice quality based concept.

P.s. The newest magazine version 02/2017 contains an interesting article about using a preproduction Fuji GFX 50S. The magazine version before talked about Olympus OM-D E-M1 mkII - also interesting. Guess I should buy both cameras Ö
04-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I always preferred Modern Photography. Years ago when they merged
it was just like the old Popular Photography, only with Herbert Keppler.

When I come across a newsstand I check out the photo magazines.
I have seen nothing that interests me enough to purchase in years.

Chris
This is exactly what I was thinking.
04-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #14

This is some of my Dad's stuff. He was a photographer in the 50's.
Attached Images

04-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't renew the my subscription, so I guess I lucked out.

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I prefer hard copy of any sort over reading off a screen. Can't stand to read "news" in the internet. Pop up ads. Flashing ads to get your attention. Videos trying to load and shifting the image around. Sorry to see Popular Photography going the route of so many magazines. I remember when Wired was pushing 250 pages and more. The early computing magazines in the 1980's were pretty awesome too.
I have gotten so I use the iPad for a lot of my reading, including checking the Washington Post and Houston Chronicle daily. My magazines (except the New Yorker) come on Zinio. My photography mags include Practical Photography, Outdoor Photographer, Shutterbug, and Photography Week. What I love is that I have all my back issues right at my fingertips and it all takes up no room!

---------- Post added 04-26-17 at 11:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote

- it requires 21% less cognitive load to process (versus reading from a screen)
- message/material recall is 70% greater for up to two weeks
- physical media drive a 20% greater motivational score to take action
Very interesting numbers. It begs that there be some clarification to the age range of their study group. I mention this because I wonder if these results reflect our educational experience in that we have all been initially taught to read print on paper and continued with that paradigm through our schooling. It is only recently that education has moved toward reading on a screen. Indeed, schools are now migrating to electronic textbooks for the advantages of both cost-effectiveness and inter-activity. With children now on iPads and other electronics from the "git-go," these numbers could well reverse themselves in 20 years (or less).