Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2017, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Formula 1 shooting great results without "tracking" or 10 FPS

Here is a good example what a photographer with skill and brain can achieve, when he is not dependent on automated crutches of modern toys that so many modern amateurs seem to need:

Photographer Shoots Formula 1 With 104-Year-Old Camera, And Here?s The Result! – Into Our World

Just lovely shots. I'd say superior to most of what you see today with all the automated helpers.

Side note:
A 1" compact P&S compared to "FF" has a x2,9 crop factor.
A "FF" compared to the pro press camera used here has a x3,5 crop factor.

06-07-2017, 05:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That's just fantastic! It isn't sports photography, it's art! 😮
06-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for this link. Super set of photos.
06-07-2017, 05:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very very impressive.

06-07-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm inclined to think the Graflex and its film are a little out of their depth here. Composition seems fine (I would question a few of the shots, but art and composition are subjective), but the cars move faster than they did in the Graflex's day and it seems either his film's ASA or his shutter speed or both simply can't rise high enough to match the demands of the circumstance.

Also, the ubiquitous presence of the crash barriers in today's environment mean that he can't position himself for the sort of shots he might have got back then. Pit lane shots are pretty darn good, though; the Graflex is at far less of a disadvantage here.
06-07-2017, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I get a 503 error with that link. Site might have crashed from all the visits this thread generated.
06-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm inclined to think the Graflex and its film are a little out of their depth here. Composition seems fine (I would question a few of the shots, but art and composition are subjective), but the cars move faster than they did in the Graflex's day and it seems either his film's ASA or his shutter speed or both simply can't rise high enough to match the demands of the circumstance.

Also, the ubiquitous presence of the crash barriers in today's environment mean that he can't position himself for the sort of shots he might have got back then. Pit lane shots are pretty darn good, though; the Graflex is at far less of a disadvantage here.
I don't know, I'm seeing the blur as his artistic choice, he even mentions it as what called his attention in that 1969 Indy 500 edition that inspired him to do this. I think it really conveys the action. I don't think for a minute that he was trying to shoot it in the same way a modern photographer would.
06-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly, it was still "503" when I tried to view. I wonder if this is the same person who documented the London Olympics with a Crown Graphic?

For those of us of a certain age, the practice of documentary photography with a press camera is remembered as being common well into the 1960s. Likewise, the lack of auto-focus did not result in a poor quality or boring sports, wildlife, or action photographs. This is particularly true in regards to motor sports where the traditional approach of camping on a turn with lens pre-focused is still a good recipe for getting the shot.*

Steve

* When questioned, many successful bird photographers, even BIF, will admit to relying on manual focus for most shooting.

06-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Cool! I did not know which model camera and now that I see, I suspect that @Nesster may own the same camera and would be very interested in this thread and the link. BTW...hand held 4x5 is no small trick.

Steve
06-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool stuff - takes me back to flipping through back issues of "Sports Car Illustrated". Really captures the feel of the vintage heritage of F1.
06-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing, very inspiring, gave me goosebumps.