Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photography clubs/societies

I've dipped in/out of various photo clubs over the years, becoming rather bored with the format - they all seem to be geared around competitions. Yes they have a few interesting presentations which are worth going to, and I'm lucky that my local club has a high profile and attracts big names. But, I'm still finding I'm not being engaged with the day-to-day events. It could of course just be me that's the problem!

The social media word is predominately focused on the likes culture - more competition. There are some more 'thoughtful' (I am aware that this might come across as a little pretentious) on-line groups that are not fixated on liking etc., and probably there are societies around Photographic Institutions that are different, but not near me.

What I'm interested in knowing is: around the globe there will be gatherings of photographers occurring that are not driven by competition, but do things differently. How are they organised ? What do they do ? What sizes are they ? Formal clubs or lose gatherings. Etc etc.

I should finish with, I do try to be gear neutral. I sell my work and I am often being asked what camera I use. I try not to respond. Camera clubs are full of folk asking these questions too and competing with each other, so this is another reason I don't enjoy many of the debates and presentations.

I'm beginning to think, as I write this, that it is probably me that's way out of sync ...

06-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I'm beginning to think, as I write this, that it is probably me that's way out of sync ...
Yeah, it is a bit. What do you care if folks less skilled than you gather in clubs to try to get better? Wouldn't you want that? The vast majority of photographers will never submit their work into anything that forces their work to be judged so they shun camera club competitions.
06-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clubs and societies

I completely agree both as to competition and equipment. I try constantly to improve my photography, but not to win contests. I have a few photos that win my own personal contests, and it is not terribly important who else may like them, although I would be pleased if others cared for them. As to equipment, I love Pentax, perhaps because that is where I started and it is what I know best and because I can have good glass at reasonable cost. However, I am acutely aware that if I were a Nikon shooter, I could use Zeiss glass natively and perhaps improve my work while depleting my checkbook! In my next life, I shall shoot full-frame Nikon cameras and have Zeiss prime lenses of ten different focal lengths!
06-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's a camera club where I live that meets at a local restaurant for breakfast once a week. I've never attended since I work for a living and generally don't have free time between 8:00 and 9:00 in the morning, but I understand they focus on sharing information and tips for improving technique. It's also fairly Nikon-centric. The biggest honor the club offers is to hang one of your prints on the wall in the restaurant.

06-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My local club was too focused on competition. I welcome critique to learn but the club is so big that the competitions are just a judge-of-the-month giving scores; there's not enough time to critique everything that's submitted.
06-11-2017, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I'm interested in knowing is: around the globe there will be gatherings of photographers occurring that are not driven by competition, but do things differently. How are they organised ? What do they do ? What sizes are they ? Formal clubs or lose gatherings. Etc etc.
I have a local club (60+members) I attend regularly and another nearby (~20 members) that I occasionally go to. Neither have competitions. Both have monthly photo themes that are submitted and shown in a slideshow at monthly meetings. The images are discussed (nothing I would call a 'critique'), information is shared, but there is no judging or winner or loser. There are occasional 'formal' speakers at both clubs, and often 10-minute 'how-to' presentations given by a member at the larger club. Both feature informal photo outings, and the occasional workshop focused on tech-things. Members of all skill, experience and equipment levels at both clubs. It's all very relaxed and friendly, though the larger club keeps growing and getting a little less fun as things need to be more structured.

azI should finish with, I do try to be gear neutral. I sell my work and I am often being asked what camera I use. I try not to respond. Camera clubs are full of folk asking these questions too and competing with each other, so this is another reason I don't enjoy many of the debates and presentations.
When I get asked what I used to take a photo, my first answer is "patience", then probably an explanation of the subject's behavior and how it let me get the photo. When pressed on camera equipment, a very brief rundown of lighting probably comes next, followed by lens & camera.

There are a few people in the clubs I go to who like to make Canon vs Nikon jokes which I just ignore, and I've had a few very odd Pentax comments over the years (ex. when seeing one on my photos, "It just goes to show you that equipment doesn't matter"). The brand snobbery is pretty rare, so it's not a big issue. But I am getting a little tired about hearing about smartphone photography in an apologetic way ("I just had my phone with me"), a photo is a photo, what it came out of is less important than the end result.
06-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some good suggestions coming in. Seems I'm not entirely alone with the antipathy towards the camera club competition - that's reassuring.

I like Brian's reply to the camera question, " ... my first answer is "patience ..." In some ways I probably say this too, but not so succinctly.

E-man's breakfast club, has a nice ring to it (or a version of it), but for me breakfast time is often out chasing the light/mist etc time. So an evening pub, might be better ...

Another thought, perhaps to get away from the gear 'problem' is to hook up with artist/painter folk, and share ideas across disciplines - "my camera is worth more than your lump of charcoal" isn't going to be well received, so gear will not be featured much I suspect ;-) There's many areas of overlap ... Starting to form some ideas ...