Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2017, 02:17 AM   #76
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
so

do you folks have your spots reserved for 2024 yet?

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html

https://www.space.com/37878-solar-eclipse-2024-path-of-totality-maps.html

according to wiki:

" Totality will be visible in a narrow strip in North America, beginning at the Pacific coast, then crossing northern Mexico through the states of Sinaloa (including Mazatlán), Durango (including Durango and Gómez Palacio) and Coahuila (including Torreón, Matamoros, Monclova, Sabinas, Ciudad Acuña and Piedras Negras).

In the United States, totality will be visible through the states of Texas (including parts of San Antonio, Austin, and Fort Worth and all of Arlington, Dallas, Killeen, Temple, Texarkana, Tyler and Waco), Oklahoma, Arkansas (including Hot Springs, Jonesboro, and Little Rock), Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana (including Bloomington, Evansville, Indianapolis, Muncie, Terre Haute, and Vincennes), a very small area of Michigan, Ohio (including Akron, Dayton, Lima, Toledo and Cleveland), Pennsylvania (including Erie), Upstate New York (including Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, the Adirondacks, Potsdam, and Plattsburgh), and northern Vermont (including Burlington), New Hampshire, and Maine with the line of totality going almost directly over the state's highest point Mount Katahdin.

The largest city entirely in the path will be Dallas, Texas. It will be the 2nd total eclipse visible from the central United States in just 7 years, coming after the August 21, 2017 eclipse. The cities of Benton, Carbondale, Chester, Harrisburg, Marion, and Metropolis in Illinois; Cape Girardeau, Farmington, and Perryville in Missouri, as well as Paducah, Kentucky, will be within the intersection of the paths of totality of both the 2017 and 2024 eclipses, therefore earning the rare distinction of being witness to two total solar eclipses in 7 years.[1]

In Canada, the path of totality will pass over parts of Southern Ontario (including Windsor, Leamington, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Kingston and Cornwall), parts of southern Quebec (including Montreal and Sherbrooke), central New Brunswick (including Fredericton and Miramichi), western Prince Edward Island (including Tignish and Summerside), and central Newfoundland Island (including Gander and Grand Falls-Windsor). Then it will vanish at the eastern Atlantic Coast of Newfoundland. (Some of the Canadian cities listed, such as Hamilton and Montreal, are on an edge of the path of totality. Ottawa and Toronto lie just north of the path of totality, and Moncton lies just south of totality.) "

Solar eclipse of April 8, 2024 - Wikipedia

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-23-2017 at 02:27 AM.
08-23-2017, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After this one, I'm warming up to the idea if I'm still around in 2024! I gave up a 2 minute location for a 1 minute location at the last minute, and was sorry I missed that extra minute but managed so good shots. Being through this eclipse, I'm of the mind that all the photographic stuff should be robotic cameras and the time should be spent actually taking in the eclipse, the surroundings, and the lighting effects around you. I have no idea of what happened outside my camera viewfinder during that 1 minute (well, I actually did take a peek at the sun).
08-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #78
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All that driving, the 3 days of waiting, the heat, the dust, the noisy neighbors so I couldn't sleep (not to mention sleeping on the ground for 3 nights), to top it all off a sunburn on the top of my feet (I forgot to put the sun screen on the top of my feet and I was wearing sandals) and all I have to show for it so far as this one photo. I think I'll take a break and see if I can come up with anything else later.

DAZ
08-23-2017, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #79
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
After this one, I'm warming up to the idea if I'm still around in 2024! I gave up a 2 minute location for a 1 minute location at the last minute, and was sorry I missed that extra minute but managed so good shots. Being through this eclipse, I'm of the mind that all the photographic stuff should be robotic cameras and the time should be spent actually taking in the eclipse, the surroundings, and the lighting effects around you. I have no idea of what happened outside my camera viewfinder during that 1 minute (well, I actually did take a peek at the sun).
now you know why I chose to forego my efforts at recording the event with a camera and lens

I used the old Mark 1 eye balls and store the data in the brain.

I was pleased with my choice.

to each his/her own, there is no single correct answer

08-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #80
Veteran Member

My eclipse trip:
Day 1: 5 hour delay on first flight. Arrived destination in the dark & got lost trying to find my friend's house.
Day 2: wasted whole day trying to get an errand done unsuccessfully. Friend's toilet backed up.
Day 3: lost in spite of map trying to get to sightseeing spot, roads blocked for eclipse festival, plus traffic
Day 4: stuck with friend in traffic jam (but did get to do some lovely sightseeing finally)
Day 5: various glitches preparing eclipse-watching gear & packing car (AND confirming location, which friend was not completely on the ball to do)
Day 6: Eclipse day: easy trip through sparse traffic, arrived safely at location, set up.... .... ....
....friend accidentally kicked tripod & broke my 300 mm lens off the camera.
Yes, really.
So I was stuck with a 105mm, & the photo which would have been spectacular isn't quite in focus.
Cloud exactly at totality; clear sky otherwise. Got to see the brightest of the ring through the cloud but not corona or stars.
Day 7: pack & prepare to go home, get overtired with last sightseeing
Day 8: Air Canada diverts to wrong airport due to fog and abandons us there to make our own way to destination. Baggage removed from plane only after passenger mutiny.
Yep, really.

Really, really tired. Insurance won't cover lens (less than deductible).
All that said, I did get to see it in spite of fates conspiring against me, and I can see why people chase around the world after eclipses. It's a little sad that that may be my only chance... who knows what 2024 will bring.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Being through this eclipse, I'm of the mind that all the photographic stuff should be robotic cameras and the time should be spent actually taking in the eclipse, the surroundings, and the lighting effects around you.
This! I ended up not taking many pictures.
08-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Oh my, that sounds like one of those trips you will remember no matter how much you try not to... Wishing you much better luck in the next one!