Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Doing a headshot outdoors-suggestions please

Here is my gear:
APS-C cameras, two manual flashes with remote triggers, two tripods, a 32 inch circular diffuser, a couple of small on flash diffusers, a piece of foam board and one assistant. Oh and a 50/1.8 an 90/2.8 lenses,

The shot is outdoors, cloudy to partially cloudy.

I was thinking of doing a loop lighting set-up with my assistant (wife) using the circular diffuser.

Any thoughts on this or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

07-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location, location, and location.

Check not only the light, but the direction of the natural light. This means what time of day as well as the actual light and direction of it. Sometimes bright(er) lights bouncing off of shiny things in your background will cause a problem. Likewise light blaring through leaves or openings in the tree canopy can do the same.

The main advice has nothing to do with gear. Find a good location and make note of light and direction of light and see how your camera will record that.

If needed go to your prospective location and just take various snaps at different times of day. Shoot pictures of a tree or squirrel as your subject. The idea at first will be to examine the background not the subject.
07-02-2017, 04:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input, I will be posting the show in the future after the model looks them over.