Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2017, 11:15 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Trip Report (Ramblings): K-1 with a bunch of lenses

I will provide some pics when I get around to processing (I am notoriously late with processing my pics. I sit at a computer 8+ hours a day at work I hate sitting in front of a screen at home).

I went to Miami for a few days and a cruise (stops at Cuba and the Bahamas).
I brought along my K-1, 15-30mm, DA 50mm, FA 77mm, and DFA* 70-200mm.
The 15-30mm was by far my most used lens. I say about 85% of my shots were with it. I took a few portraits and street scenes with the 77mm and I did an Everglades fan boat tour which i used the 70-200mm I used my 50mm for a few shots, but I could have easily left it home and not missed anything. If I didn't take the Everglades tour, I would've been plenty happy with just the 15-30mm and the 77mm.
I invested in a Think Tank Airport Express (the backpack, not the roller). It fit all my gear with plenty of room to spare, along with my kindle, and toiletries.
The backpack is nice and comfy to wear...although if I wasn't such a big guy it all would have been quite heavy to lug around.

I think my dream travel kit would be a K-1 + DFA WR 17-35mm f3.5-f5.6 + 43mm +77mm.
The 15-30mm is awesome, and I do like the fact that it goes to 15mm, which is wiiiide. But I would sacrifice some width and speed so I can get a smaller package (plus being able to use screw in filters would be nice).

But, that is a small complaint. Overall, I was very happy with the way the camera and lenses performed. Sure a smaller and lighter kit would be nice for travel, but I am completely spoiled by the wide exposure latitude that the K-1 provides.

Also a big thumbs up for the Think Tank Airport Express. Having a nice, comfortable back pack makes carrying a larger kit much more comfortable and less of a hassle. It is pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

Which brings me to something else I have learned. You get much more bang for your buck investing in nice "carrying equipment" (backpack or carrying bag, shoulder strap, wrist strap) than you do a nice lens or camera. This is because if you spend more on comfortable, well fitting "carrying equipment" you are MUCH more likely to take your camera with you and not leave it at home.

07-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

My go everywhere lenses are always the 17-70, 43, 77 and 55-300. I couldn't agree more about having a high quality bag/backpack. I didn't realize how much that could impact a trip until I purchased a Kata bag which holds everything comfortably and efficiently.
07-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
You get much more bang for your buck investing in nice "carrying equipment" (backpack or carrying bag, shoulder strap, wrist strap) than you do a nice lens or camera. This is because if you spend more on comfortable, well fitting "carrying equipment" you are MUCH more likely to take your camera with you and not leave it at home.
It the same topic as with weight and size of lenses and cameras. Forum geeks regularly downplay the fact that "portability" (carrying equipment is part of that) really increases probability of having the gear with you. No gear means no photo. No photo means an event with zero resolution, zero autofocus accuracy, zero what-have-you-measurement. So on average (and that is the only thing that counts) the measurement-numbers per image go down badly.
Put simply: Comfortable camera bag = increased average technical image quality.
07-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA WR 17-35mm f3.5-f5.6
When and if they make such a beast. In the meantime there is the old FA J 18-35. Not WR, but neither are the other lenses you named. Not stellar, but at least it currently exists. Not the most common lens on e-bay, so good luck in your search!

07-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree wholeheartedly about the choice of lenses and about the carrying tips.
I've recently started doing something that matches the lower range of your FoVs, with a 10-20mm/3.5 and the 40mm XS (on APS-C, FoVs equivalent to a 15-30 and a 60mm on FF), and they both fit in a holster-style camera bag (LowePro Adventura SH 120 II).
Very portable and conveniente.

BTW, damn awesome kit you have there...
07-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting observations. I use my 15-30 heavily also although its a brute of a lens. For portable situations like hiking, I must admit I prefer the crop sensor body (K-3) with the 12-24. Not quite as wide and image quality a bit lower but it is a good compromise for weight. The full frame goes with me on car trips and when I can use a tripod for landscapes. The K-3 with the DA 21 or even the DA 14 is a fairly light travel kit. With the 16-85 on the K-3, that is all I usually take for long trips.
07-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
He who has no camera, gets no photo. He who brings too much gear, gets strong arms.
I used to think that I was pretty good at anticipating photographic needs when traveling. Last fall, I went to Wyoming and Utah and made good use of all the kit I brought. "What a pro", I thought as I congratulated myself on my wise choices. This last April, I did a 10-day exploration through south-central Alaska with much the same kit. Bad decision. Alaska was completely overwhelming and I am still not sure about appropriate gear choice for what I found there. It is enough to say that all of my "keepers" were taken with the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) and that I used the full range of that zoom. Flickr was kind to me with the inclusion of two of those shots in "Explore".

Gotta buy a smaller bag...

Steve
07-06-2017, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which brings me to something else I have learned. You get much more bang for your buck investing in nice "carrying equipment" (backpack or carrying bag, shoulder strap, wrist strap) than you do a nice lens or camera. This is because if you spend more on comfortable, well fitting "carrying equipment" you are MUCH more likely to take your camera with you and not leave it at home.
You'll enjoy our continuing series of camera bag tests then! The Peak Design Everyday Sling and Manfrotto Off Road Hiker have been published already, stay tuned for many more to come!

07-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You'll enjoy our continuing series of camera bag tests then! The Peak Design Everyday Sling and Manfrotto Off Road Hiker have been published already, stay tuned for many more to come!
Thanks
I am always looking to drop more $$$ on this hobby (obsession)