Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I once dated a woman, after my first divorce, also once divorced who said 'I have taken so many great photographs."

I said "Can I see some of them."

She said, " No, my ex took all of them, he actually took the pictures I just told him where to stand and stuff."

It was a one date relationship.
Did you at least find out if she could cook?

07-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But if I like it, it's practically guaranteed she won't. She's like an art director that lives in my house.
Now there is a term that has made many a photographer and set up person cringe.
07-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Did you at least find out if she could cook?
She looked like she was really good at cooking.
07-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

You know some things are more important than others don't you?

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-15-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
07-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I want to start a thread to get thoughts and comments on how we progress in our journeys of becoming a "photographer" of our choice
I know when I got that feeling...... The funny part is that it wasn't when I was taking a picture, but it was standing next to a printer that was printing one of my images.

It was this picture of the Belgium beach volley player I took in Antwerp. She was then one of the Belgium pro-team that played in the international tour. She trusted me to take an image, so we moved a little around to get the scene as I wanted with the background and the reflection.
https://flic.kr/p/mbVFng

A little over a full year later I was at the World Tour in The Hague. In the tent of HP, where Hewlett Packard was one of the sponsors. The photographers could print some images and I had the image online available. I already saw some amazing sportsimages and portrait from the photographers from Italy, Brazil and America. They al had some images from their countries top teams (mostly for giving as a present and sending it to homeland friends or family). So waiting on my image to come out of the printer, size was A1 or something similar...... I was nerveus, but boy was I surprised about the reactions of the other photographers. I felt elevated.
07-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Reading this in the context of the thread topic: NEED A WIDE ANGLE LENS

07-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Let me know what you think that you could have done...
I really like your shot here - great colors, even and good light, and composition. And, I concur that there is some value in capturing the main dancer from the back side, as you get the beautiful shape and the great detail of the colorful dress - you do get the feeling of having been there at the moment. I do try to ask myself what is the subject - is it just a person, or is it about the context they are in. It is often true that I look at a scene that I find interesting, photo it, and then later don't see or feel the emotion I felt with the scene at the time. Regrettably, I cannot tell what is different about capturing the essence of a scene and missing it (the timing of the photo notwithstanding). I second the comments about successfully dealing with the light, so I am paying attention to light management much more. I love having even yet full overcast day light, as it basically lets you focus on the subject better. There were comments in this post about spouse management of photography. My spouse is a phone shooter and lets me take the "good" photo. She will sometimes make a suggestion of something to shoot, and I shoot it, and it is a photo we will enjoy later. If my wife has a problem, she believes that a great photo happens in 1/1000th of a second and that if I can't make a great photo very quickly, I must be incompetent. I tell her there is way more to it than just pressing the button. In the photo in the original post, she would have become impatient with me if I had waited until the dancer had her back to me. Or walked around the scene to get a better angle. Or zoomed to get different compositions to determine the best one. Author Scott Kelby said if you want better photos, DON'T take the "walk up shot". Everyone else is taking the walk up shot and their pictures look routine because there are a lot of them. Study the scene. Walk around if possible. Look at what is interesting about the subject. Understand what it is that comprises the subject. See something about the subject that is different than other people see. I have to confess that I don't get it right much of the time. But a few times I do. My point is that I'm trying to THINK about making a better photo, and this takes time, patience, and thought. Sorry for the rant, here.

08-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

aleonx3

Well I reckon you did the right thing. A photo of one beautiful woman against a backdrop of, well I don't know what, would be a photo of one beautiful woman. Taking the photo you did shows a complex scenario filled with lot more that one beautiful woman. There is a wonderful interplay between the characters, and raises lots of questions about what was happening.

Good spot, well played. What would I have done? Well I wouldn't have done anything as good as that.