Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2017, 03:56 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Times you regret not having your DSLR with you

Have you ever encountered awesome scenes when not carrying your main camera?
I have three examples here when I was carrying only my fairly poor compact camera or my mobile phone and encountered some very nice scenes. Would be nice if you could share your photos from times that you regret not carrying your main camera.

Usually when I go hiking I carry my dslr with one lens attached but these first two photos are from times I was for some reason too lazy to carry my dslr.
1st one is from a hike close to Vancouver, weather wasn't awesome and didn't expect too much
2nd one is from Garibaldi Lake, no idea why I didn't bring my camera..
3rd one is from a job in norhern BC. I saw most amazing landscapes during those two days. At least that time weight was a concern since had to carry rock samples and survival gear but I am sure I could have managed to carry my K5 and 16-50mm.
4th one is sunrise on my way to work in Sweden. Took this from moving car with my cell phone.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TS4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TS4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TS4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G930F  Photo 
07-09-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
dmr

First and second are excellent shots, regardless of what was used to take them! Of course they are only web resolution here, but I'm sure either would have made a print worth showing.

My current carry-everywhere camera is an old junky Kodak Easyshare digital. It meets the quality threshold and has a real viewfinder and it has come in handy several times.
07-09-2017, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I frequently kayak and take only a water-proof case for my cell phone. While such cases exist for DSLRs I don't risk it. Lots of rapids and occasional spills. Yesterday I saw a bald eagle, heron, glorious cliffs and swan. Could have used the DSLR in that case :-)

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 07-09-2017 at 05:32 AM.
07-09-2017, 05:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good shots!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
Have you ever encountered awesome scenes when not carrying your main camera?
Yea. I just go on. There are many times when you have the wrong lens, or its the wrong time of day, or its the wrong camera.. and you just have to go on. You can take a snap and make a mental note to return. I still have some spots in mind that I have to revisit, this time with camera and the right lenses.

07-09-2017, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We're onto you...making the rest of us feel inadequate since your "bad" shots are so good!

Wonderful photos! It looks like you've gotten the most out of your small sensor camera. Really what you're doing is demonstrating why it's important to have any camera with you all the time.

It looks like your "fairly poor" compact camera is the Panasonic TS4, which is a small rugged and waterproof camera. Your pictures show the value of having a tough camera that is small enough to stick in a pocket and can hold up to the elements. Sure, you could always lug around your DSLR, but that can take away from some of the fun of clambering around in the great outdoors. And then you also have to be worried about damaging or losing your expensive gear. Having a small camera can be liberating, and your pictures show that it's possible for a skilled photographer to get very good results from a modern compact.

The TS4 is getting a little long in the tooth, so when you decide to upgrade you may want to look at the Olympus Tough TG4 or TG5. They both have the latest BSI (Back Side Illuminated) sensors, and they also feature a lens that is much brighter(f/2 compared to f/3.3 for the TS4), and wider (25mm equivalent vs 28mm). And the cherry on top is that they can shoot RAW, which opens up all kinds of options for getting the most of out your captures.
07-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

it is less often now, having learned my lessons the hard way: take the camera, maybe take both....
07-09-2017, 06:11 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

This is why I have a Q. Even if not on the same level as my main gear, it's still good enough in most cases to turn out an excellent picture from an unexpected awesome scene. And it's compact enough, even with a few lenses, that I always carry it if I don't feel carrying the main gear.

The only times I'm not carrying at least the Q kit are when I'm not in the mood of taking any pictures. But even then, the Q as a unique way of lighting the spark of picture taking...

07-09-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Q is an awesome small camera, but if you want something even smaller that can slip into a pants pocket and still deliver outstanding image quality, then the Olympus XZ-1/XZ-2 is a great option. The 1/1.6" sensor combined with the fast f1.8-2.5, 28mm-112mm lens means that it's actually possible to get some bokeh if you want to. I keep my old XZ-1 in my car, and the edge-to-edge razor-sharp lens still amazes me.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-09-2017 at 07:33 AM.
07-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #9

Not really. I carry it virtually everywhere, with a long tele attached (which might mean I'm insane); worst things that tend to happen is me not being able to get it out of the bag in time (Eaurasian Honey Buzzard flying low over my street when I was just getting home from work, a few years ago) or that I don't have the right lens with me.
07-09-2017, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
We're onto you...making the rest of us feel inadequate since your "bad" shots are so good!

Wonderful photos! It looks like you've gotten the most out of your small sensor camera. Really what you're doing is demonstrating why it's important to have any camera with you all the time.

It looks like your "fairly poor" compact camera is the Panasonic TS4, which is a small rugged and waterproof camera. Your pictures show the value of having a tough camera that is small enough to stick in a pocket and can hold up to the elements. Sure, you could always lug around your DSLR, but that can take away from some of the fun of clambering around in the great outdoors. And then you also have to be worried about damaging or losing your expensive gear. Having a small camera can be liberating, and your pictures show that it's possible for a skilled photographer to get very good results from a modern compact.

The TS4 is getting a little long in the tooth, so when you decide to upgrade you may want to look at the Olympus Tough TG4 or TG5. They both have the latest BSI (Back Side Illuminated) sensors, and they also feature a lens that is much brighter(f/2 compared to f/3.3 for the TS4), and wider (25mm equivalent vs 28mm). And the cherry on top is that they can shoot RAW, which opens up all kinds of options for getting the most of out your captures.
Haha, thank you!
I got some ok shots with TS4 and those are fine printed up to 20*30cm but when I go bigger I really start wishing that I would have been carrying a dslr.
I gave my TS4 to my parents since I was never completely happy with the image quality and I will try to be better carrying my K5IIs.
Second hand GR is tempting but I would rather use that money to upgrade my main gear setup.

One more taken with TS4. Wish I would have had K5 with me...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TS4  Photo 
07-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSLRs are big, bulky, heavy, inconvenient and a real PITA to carry for everyday use.

IMO a good lightweight and truly pocketable 35mm film camera is a far better option.

Chris
07-09-2017, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

On a big trip to SE Asia last year I took my Sony RX100 as backup and used it a couple of times where my K5 ii would have been too heavy(trekking in steep terrain/very humid jungle conditions in Cambodia) and in dodgy city areas notorious for bag snatch crime. In both instances I missed the control of my DSLR but the results overall weren't too shoddy IMHO.

07-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
On a big trip to SE Asia last year I took my Sony RX100 as backup and used it a couple of times where my K5 ii would have been too heavy(trekking in steep terrain/very humid jungle conditions in Cambodia) and in dodgy city areas notorious for bag snatch crime. In both instances I missed the control of my DSLR but the results overall weren't too shoddy IMHO.
Stunning photos!
Nice that you had a compact with good sensor.
07-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some great looking shots here! Agree with most of you, and make it a point to have some kind of camera or phone cam at all times. I like to use a compact while walking the dogs. Hanging on to leashes and trying to wield a DSLR can be a tricky task. I'm in need of an upgrade, though. My beloved Fuji X10 met an early demise, so for now I'm relying on my iPhone and a couple old Canon Powershots. At web resolutions, they do OK.
By the way, there's a place to display your super-fantastic p&s images : Confessions of a Toy Camera Shooter....Confess Here! - PentaxForums.com

Canon Powershot SD1100 IS:

07-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I wish that I had brought my Panasonic Lumix LX-10 on my trip to the Florida caverns last week instead of my K1, FA31 and D FA28-105