Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's in your Zombie kit cupboard?

I have acquired an M 50mm f1.4 that I had sent for CLA but sadly it has a cloudy rear doublet, so it was not even worth cleaning off the minor fungus around the periphery. It's usable, but why would I when I have a good f1.7 example as well?. I can't sell it and it would need a donor lens with some other problem to make it fully viable again. So it sits in a zombie corner of my cupboard, along with a problem M 28 f2.8.

So I thought, I can't be the only one with this problem, then I read Boriscleto's thread and realised I'm such an amateur at this too.

I have a serious mental illness - PentaxForums.com

Are lots of you hoarding never to be used or otherwise duff stuff?

I'm not sure is this going to be confessional or disconcerting or something else.

07-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #2

I've bought at least three totally terrible zombie lenses! The first one is a Sigma 70-210mms 3.5-5.6 that has got to be one of the originals! It now holds up a model airplane in my room. The second one was a Ricoh 55mms f2- it was horrible for some reason (i think it had fungi in it). I threw it out after trying to take it apart and scratching the elements (it was $10 anyway) . Finally I bought a K 300 f4 and found that the aperture doesn't work! Good times though :-)
07-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

raises hand sheepishly

I've been bad about this for a long time. But in the last year or two have been making myself chip away at the problem slowly, starting with throwing out old parts-donor film bodies. Doesn't matter to me anymore if they JUST MIGHT have something useful still in them. If they're not worth fixing, I now think, they're not worth keeping. Some would have no buyers even if they were in perfect shape. I've even trashed a few old manual focus zoom lenses that had come in auction boxes and have no defects.
07-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Um, I'm not alone then. I bought a P30T to try out film and it came with a lens shaped object attached, made by Profile. I could not find anything on the make at all, but it was a generic design. On inspection, it would not focus at infinity and the front lens had tiny chips out of it and it weighed a ton. I disassembled it for fun and discarded it. My M 50mm f1.4 feels too valuable to discard though, and I have read other threads here on that lens with the same problem. Maybe one day I will pluck up the courage to try and salvage it.
I'm going to avoid ebay for a while, but then I have to avoid the lens clubs here as they pique my interest to look in the first place. My strategy to buy good lenses so that I won't go down this path failed somewhat...that LBA for you.

07-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a broken ZX-5N paperweight gathering dust here.
It's jammed up; the cracked nylon gear is the usual suspect.
I'd offer it up free to a member for parts but who'd want it?

Chris
07-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, you are not alone. I have a minimum of 3 old film bodies with various problems that sit in a case because, well... I did recently sell a few lenses that were non repairable. The buyer needed donor parts. But this was after I'd had them in the case far at least 7 years.

Good times!
07-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Let's see, 3 LX bodies, a black MX, a Super Program, a Program Plus, a KM, a K1000, I'm pretty sure I have some screw mount stuff somewhere. Of the 60 or so lenses I have, at least half haven't been on a camera in a decade.