Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,527
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Sound like a nice soft lens would be in order.
For her or for me?

07-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,266
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, a model release signed by both parties solves this. It might include a phrase that keeps the model happy, such as an image cannot be sold by the tog unless the model gives permission (read: gets fair payment), and another sought by the photographer (credit must be listed, or no alteration other than cropping).

In this day and age there's probably no excuse for not having an app like Easy Release on your phone where you've got a couple of prepared templates ready to go.
Nope. A model release only gives rights to the photographer.
The question is about usage by the model.
07-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,467
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
. . .
Remember, any legal advice you get on the internet is worth what you paid for it.

when asked by some one to give them free legal advice

I would reply

do you want a WAG [ wild ass guess ] on which you are not to rely on

or do you want to pay for my time to research the issue and give you an answer that you can rely on
07-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,207
I read advice on some forums and sometimes it seems reasonable.
The worst is on topics where I worked, eg i was in electrical game.
Some of the electrical advice given on the tech forums is straight out wrong and often dangerous, otherwise it is often funny.

So that makes me rather nervous about advice on subjects where I don't know what I am talking about!

07-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,897
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Nope. A model release only gives rights to the photographer.
The question is about usage by the model.
It's whatever the parties agree to, Wheatfield, Aslyfox would tell you that.

Try and submit a photo to Adobe without the photographer's binding signature on the document as well as the model's.

You can include whatever clauses you like.

In particular, models should be careful if they're told they're not being paid because it's a TFP arrangement, when in fact the photographer will later sell the images.
07-24-2017, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,467
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's whatever the parties agree to, Wheatfield, Aslyfox would tell you that.

Try and submit a photo to Adobe without the photographer's binding signature on the document as well as the model's.

You can include whatever clauses you like.

In particular, models should be careful if they're told they're not being paid because it's a TFP arrangement, when in fact the photographer will later sell the images.

Moi???

a " form " contract of any sort benefits one party over the other - the party who created it

often the person who created the " form " contract just chooses certain things and the items you want or need may or may not be in it

if you are a professional photographer, [ or want to be one ] don't be a cheap skate find a qualified attorney/solicitor ( barristers if I understand that system only do court cases ) talk to them ( often for free or minimum fees ), pay them for their work and get a " form "contract putting you in control.

Remember " free " advice, including this post " is often worth what you pay for it."

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-26-2017 at 07:13 AM.
07-24-2017, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,209
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if you are a professional photographer, [ or want to be one ] don't be a cheap skate find a qualified attorney/solicitor ( barristers if I understand that system only do court cases ) talk to them ( often for free or minimum fees ), pay them for their work and get a " form "contract putting you in control.
Are you saying I shouldn't just find a cheap one on Craigslist? An attorney just has to own a nice set of pens and a fancy desk right? Maybe a few shiny books?
07-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,467
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Are you saying I shouldn't just find a cheap one on Craigslist? An attorney just has to own a nice set of pens and a fancy desk right? Maybe a few shiny books?
you can pay an attorney/solicitor whatever you can get him or her to accept

my reference was not to just get a " form " standard contract which you had no input into the actual making of the terms of the contract

07-24-2017, 06:10 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,897
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Moi???

a " form " contract of any sort benefits one party over the other - the party who created it

often the person who created the " form " contract just chooses certain things and the items you want or need may or may not be in it

if you are a professional photographer, [ or want to be one ] don't be a cheap skate find a qualified attorney/solicitor ( barristers if I understand that system only do court cases ) talk to them ( often for free or minimum fees ), pay them for their work and get a " form "contract putting you in control.

Remember " free " advice, including this post " is often worth what you pay for it.
Anyone who wants to copy a model release I've used for TFP arrangements, I'm happy if you modify the one I've attached. It reassures the model by even allowing an email address for them to be contacted to discuss additional revenue from the shots.

If you earn your living from this stuff, you should definitely engage Aslyfox, Aslyfox and Aslyfox Inc (or equivalent) for professional advice relevant to where you work!

I'm used to legal sorts - I hung out with law students throughout my college days, I still play sport with them as team mates, my oldest stepson is an environmental lawyer with the federal broadband agency and my daughter in law is an IP counsel for the nation's major telco.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G920I  Photo 
07-24-2017, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,897
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Are you saying I shouldn't just find a cheap one on Craigslist? An attorney just has to own a nice set of pens and a fancy desk right? Maybe a few shiny books?
07-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,527
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Anyone who wants to copy a model release I've used for TFP arrangements, I'm happy if you modify the one I've attached. It reassures the model by even allowing an email address for them to be contacted to discuss additional revenue from the shots.
Thank you for the hint! Right now I'm dealing with responses to my ad to find models for TFP sessions. Well... the experience is priceless.

And it's a good reminder about age. One girl contacted me yesterday, and the way she texts made me suspect that she is a minor. I asked if she is 18, she told she is not, but her mom does not mind. When I told that I can offer family photoshoot with her and her mom, she sounded somehow less enthusiastic. There is no way I will take her alone to the park.
07-24-2017, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,266
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's whatever the parties agree to, Wheatfield, Aslyfox would tell you that.

Try and submit a photo to Adobe without the photographer's binding signature on the document as well as the model's.

You can include whatever clauses you like.

In particular, models should be careful if they're told they're not being paid because it's a TFP arrangement, when in fact the photographer will later sell the images.
If it crosses into giving the model rights, it's a usage release. It can be on the same document, but it would then be both a model release and a usage release.
A model release is a very simple document as a rule. Usage releases can get very complicated.
07-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member
maltfalc's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 394
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

In particular, models should be careful if they're told they're not being paid because it's a TFP arrangement, when in fact the photographer will later sell the images.
why? what does the model being paid in photos rather than cash have to do with what the photographer does with the photos afterwards? why should models "be careful" when a photographer plans to sell photos he has every right to sell?
07-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,897
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
why? what does the model being paid in photos rather than cash have to do with what the photographer does with the photos afterwards? why should models "be careful" when a photographer plans to sell photos he has every right to sell?
Well, it's everyone's right to charge according to circumstances, Maltfalc.

In a traditional TFP arrangement, no one's getting paid, you're both portfolio building: Time for print - Wikipedia

When somebody is making money directly from the shots, written contracts contain the signed agreements of expectations and limits of both parties.

A model or photographer are entirely in their rights to offer their services gratis to a charity, for instance, but not a local newspaper.

In the case of a model, once a shoot is commercial in nature rather than an art project, they maybe required by their agency for a minimum fee.

I think anyone who goes into, say, wedding photography, without a properly written up contract is nuts!
07-24-2017, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,897
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Usage releases can get very complicated.
Correct. See everything Aslyfox has written.

If you were employed professionally or even short term on a contract, you would want to examine the clauses very carefully, and delete, modify or add to them as appropriate, with both you and the boss signing.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
contract, images, model, models, photo, photographer, photography, photos, pictures, post, release, shoot, site, tfp, time, timeline, usage, watermark, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camera question/ISO question Photography91 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 01-07-2014 07:56 AM
People Uncommon Manners Rupert Post Your Photos! 7 08-14-2012 08:21 PM
An Answer to a question and a question. granitic Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 02-23-2007 09:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top