Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Sound like a nice soft lens would be in order.
For her or for me?

07-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, a model release signed by both parties solves this. It might include a phrase that keeps the model happy, such as an image cannot be sold by the tog unless the model gives permission (read: gets fair payment), and another sought by the photographer (credit must be listed, or no alteration other than cropping).

In this day and age there's probably no excuse for not having an app like Easy Release on your phone where you've got a couple of prepared templates ready to go.
Nope. A model release only gives rights to the photographer.
The question is about usage by the model.
07-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
. . .
Remember, any legal advice you get on the internet is worth what you paid for it.

when asked by some one to give them free legal advice

I would reply

do you want a WAG [ wild ass guess ] on which you are not to rely on

or do you want to pay for my time to research the issue and give you an answer that you can rely on
07-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I read advice on some forums and sometimes it seems reasonable.
The worst is on topics where I worked, eg i was in electrical game.
Some of the electrical advice given on the tech forums is straight out wrong and often dangerous, otherwise it is often funny.

So that makes me rather nervous about advice on subjects where I don't know what I am talking about!

07-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nope. A model release only gives rights to the photographer.
The question is about usage by the model.
It's whatever the parties agree to, Wheatfield, Aslyfox would tell you that.

Try and submit a photo to Adobe without the photographer's binding signature on the document as well as the model's.

You can include whatever clauses you like.

In particular, models should be careful if they're told they're not being paid because it's a TFP arrangement, when in fact the photographer will later sell the images.
07-24-2017, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Try and submit a photo to Adobe without the photographer's binding signature on the document as well as the model's.

In particular, models should be careful if they're told they're not being paid because it's a TFP arrangement, when in fact the photographer will later sell the images.

Moi???

a " form " contract of any sort benefits one party over the other - the party who created it

often the person who created the " form " contract just chooses certain things and the items you want or need may or may not be in it

if you are a professional photographer, [ or want to be one ] don't be a cheap skate find a qualified attorney/solicitor ( barristers if I understand that system only do court cases ) talk to them ( often for free or minimum fees ), pay them for their work and get a " form "contract putting you in control.

Remember " free " advice, including this post " is often worth what you pay for it."

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-26-2017 at 07:13 AM.
07-24-2017, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if you are a professional photographer, [ or want to be one ] don't be a cheap skate find a qualified attorney/solicitor ( barristers if I understand that system only do court cases ) talk to them ( often for free or minimum fees ), pay them for their work and get a " form "contract putting you in control.
Are you saying I shouldn't just find a cheap one on Craigslist? An attorney just has to own a nice set of pens and a fancy desk right? Maybe a few shiny books?

07-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Are you saying I shouldn't just find a cheap one on Craigslist? An attorney just has to own a nice set of pens and a fancy desk right? Maybe a few shiny books?
you can pay an attorney/solicitor whatever you can get him or her to accept

my reference was not to just get a " form " standard contract which you had no input into the actual making of the terms of the contract
07-24-2017, 06:10 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Moi???

a " form " contract of any sort benefits one party over the other - the party who created it

often the person who created the " form " contract just chooses certain things and the items you want or need may or may not be in it

Remember " free " advice, including this post " is often worth what you pay for it.
Anyone who wants to copy a model release I've used for TFP arrangements, I'm happy if you modify the one I've attached. It reassures the model by even allowing an email address for them to be contacted to discuss additional revenue from the shots.

If you earn your living from this stuff, you should definitely engage Aslyfox, Aslyfox and Aslyfox Inc (or equivalent) for professional advice relevant to where you work!

I'm used to legal sorts - I hung out with law students throughout my college days, I still play sport with them as team mates, my oldest stepson is an environmental lawyer with the federal broadband agency and my daughter in law is an IP counsel for the nation's major telco.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G920I  Photo 
07-24-2017, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
07-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone who wants to copy a model release I've used for TFP arrangements, I'm happy if you modify the one I've attached. It reassures the model by even allowing an email address for them to be contacted to discuss additional revenue from the shots.
Thank you for the hint! Right now I'm dealing with responses to my ad to find models for TFP sessions. Well... the experience is priceless.

And it's a good reminder about age. One girl contacted me yesterday, and the way she texts made me suspect that she is a minor. I asked if she is 18, she told she is not, but her mom does not mind. When I told that I can offer family photoshoot with her and her mom, she sounded somehow less enthusiastic. There is no way I will take her alone to the park.
07-24-2017, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

If it crosses into giving the model rights, it's a usage release. It can be on the same document, but it would then be both a model release and a usage release.
A model release is a very simple document as a rule. Usage releases can get very complicated.
07-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

why? what does the model being paid in photos rather than cash have to do with what the photographer does with the photos afterwards? why should models "be careful" when a photographer plans to sell photos he has every right to sell?
07-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
why? what does the model being paid in photos rather than cash have to do with what the photographer does with the photos afterwards? why should models "be careful" when a photographer plans to sell photos he has every right to sell?
Well, it's everyone's right to charge according to circumstances, Maltfalc.

In a traditional TFP arrangement, no one's getting paid, you're both portfolio building: Time for print - Wikipedia

When somebody is making money directly from the shots, written contracts contain the signed agreements of expectations and limits of both parties.

A model or photographer are entirely in their rights to offer their services gratis to a charity, for instance, but not a local newspaper.

In the case of a model, once a shoot is commercial in nature rather than an art project, they maybe required by their agency for a minimum fee.

I think anyone who goes into, say, wedding photography, without a properly written up contract is nuts!
07-24-2017, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Usage releases can get very complicated.
Correct. See everything Aslyfox has written.

If you were employed professionally or even short term on a contract, you would want to examine the clauses very carefully, and delete, modify or add to them as appropriate, with both you and the boss signing.