Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Guide to the August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse: When, Where and How to Shoot it

PhotoPills has put together a pretty good guide to shooting the eclipse, here in the US in 23 days or so.

08-02-2017, 02:56 AM   #2

Plan on driving south on Aug. 21 to find the path of totality of this rare solar eclipse over the U.S. I have a K-70 with a solar filter. Two lenses: 15-135 and a 100-300. Has anyone shot a total solar eclipse in the past using the bracketing feature on either the K-70 or the Pentax family of cameras? What worked or didn't work? Will have about two minutes of totality, site and weather permitting. Have been shooting practice shots with solar filter, a center weight with mirror locked is a must for clean images. Thanks for your help.
08-02-2017, 03:53 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if you want to see another thread ( 3 pages and counting ? ) may I suggest looking at this one as well?

So you wanna photograph the Eclipse - what you need to know in (sorta) a nutshell - PentaxForums.com

I specifically direct your attention to:

[ each link below leads to a separate reply to that thread ]

So you wanna photograph the Eclipse - what you need to know in (sorta) a nutshell - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/348524-so-you-wa...ml#post4035447

So you wanna photograph the Eclipse - what you need to know in (sorta) a nutshell - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

So you wanna photograph the Eclipse - what you need to know in (sorta) a nutshell - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

So you wanna photograph the Eclipse - what you need to know in (sorta) a nutshell - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

personally, I have chosen to enjoy the experience I will not be attempting to photograph it

SAFETY MUST BE YOUR FIRST CONCERN, NOT HOW GREAT A PHOTO YOU CAN GET

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-02-2017 at 04:01 AM.
08-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a youtube video on how to make a solar filter - using a Baader AstroSolar film material (@ 2.38 in the video)

08-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #5

Bracketing and U1, U2 and U3

I have a k-70, it's still rather new to me.

I'm traveling to view the total eclipse on Aug. 21.

Here's what I'd like to do. I'd like to program the shots I'm going to take during partial eclipse in the U1 section. I want to bracket those shots, and I need help understanding how to set up bracketing. The owner's manual is pretty sparse. I'm going to be locking the mirror and using a cable switch to shoot.

In the U2 section, I'd like to set up my shots during totality, so assuming the programming and bracketing method is similar to U1, I should be able to figure that out if somebody can offer a step-by-step on the process. Thank you if you can.