Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Hello Polly! *Bang Bang Bang* Wake up Polly!
- "you've stunned it"
No, its just shagged out from an extended squawk.

07-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

For future arguments:
Search for a bird by entering name, description, and keywords, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Haven't tried this.
Merlin Identification Tool: Auto-Identify 400 Species of Birds | eBird
07-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
It's currently only available in the phone app. The original web application is "Down for maintenance and upgrades".
08-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
It is without a doubt in the genus Falco (falcons, merlins, kestrels, hobbies) due to the sharply contrasting, dark head cowl and huge eyes relative to head size. It's not even in the same avian order as Golden Eagle (Accipitriformes) (Falconiformes for falcons). The barring on the belly and the size of the bill suggest Peregrine (Falco peregrinus. However, the rusty colour on the undersides is very unusual except for the subspecies F. p. peregrinator (Indian subcontinent to southeast China). But even in that subspecies the upper breast and throat should be white. The same goes for Australian Hobby F. longipennis. Perhaps the colour in the photo was thrown off by ambient light or post-processing.
An educated response this is, Pete !
I have to agree that this falcon has a bit of "unusual" colours but I have settled for a peregrine ... who knows? Maybe this was taken at a zoo with different sub-species of that "same" bird ??

08-31-2017, 03:23 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
It is without a doubt in the genus Falco (falcons, merlins, kestrels, hobbies) due to the sharply contrasting, dark head cowl and huge eyes relative to head size. It's not even in the same avian order as Golden Eagle (Accipitriformes) (Falconiformes for falcons). The barring on the belly and the size of the bill suggest Peregrine (Falco peregrinus. However, the rusty colour on the undersides is very unusual except for the subspecies F. p. peregrinator (Indian subcontinent to southeast China). But even in that subspecies the upper breast and throat should be white. The same goes for Australian Hobby F. longipennis. Perhaps the colour in the photo was thrown off by ambient light or post-processing.
The throat isn't white because that's a juvenile peregrine. I'm a bit of a raptor fan, though typically more eagles and buzzards than the smaller birds.
Info and pix
09-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barbara Fu Quote
The throat isn't white because that's a juvenile peregrine. I'm a bit of a raptor fan, though typically more eagles and buzzards than the smaller birds.
Info and pix
Got it.
Thanks Barbara.
09-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
On another note, maybe it's a Millennial Falcon...
Sci-Fi space ship jokes aside, if it's still living with its parents then it's probably a millenial.