Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2017, 06:20 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote

Hello,

Not to come off in the wrong way, and please don' t take this the wrong way, but the photo linked wouldn' t make me buy the 31mm.

As far as outperforming, same boat here. Just wanted something else. The magic of the k5 can' t be relived, unfortunately.

Thanks for your time and input!

08-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
The magic of the k5 can' t be relived, unfortunately.
Don't worry ;-)
the picture wasn't intended to convince you in buying the fa31.

I was just trying to make a point about the body with which you capture only being part of the equation and the lens choice being a way to find inspiration..
08-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tested the 31 and the 77. I was `Meh` . 85mm always `turned me on` (couldn' t test it; only compared photos of the 3 from sites) , but still waiting for a new release from Pentax (which will of course be absurdly expensive) .

You could just say that my level is not really high enough for the larger formats.
Save your money till you get to a 645D. It sounds as though anything less probably won't satisfy you.

I don't think it is a "level" thing at all. It is about fit -- whether style of shooting, ergonomics or whatever. I think you could take good images with a K-1, but if you don't enjoy the experience, then you likely won't take the camera with you and the money would be wasted.
08-11-2017, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Yes and no.
Yes, I have standards, No it' s not the case here.
Problem with this set of lenses (and others, and many other Pentax branded equipment) is that people call it `Holy trinity` , sharpest of the sharp, best of the best, and all that (usually meaning the best in a small selection of competitors to none) .
Everything is oversold. I came having high hopes, that when I make a portrait, I will see so much reflection in the subject eyes, that I' ll be able to see all it' s previous lives.
But no, they were good for their class, but not `world class` (Carl Zeiss maybe) . From what I could tell, they can be called and praised (but not at the level of `Messianic` promoted by fanboys) ; they need post processing adjustments/ improvements (not minor, not heavy, normal) .

I don' t have problems with old technology.

All the best!
Every image digital or analog need processing, expecting out of camera brilliance from any equipment is unrealistic in my opinion.

The thing I find interesting about the FA limiteds in partiular though, is that to me it is all about balance and lens design and qualities that are difficult to quantify.
Personally I highly value the output from the FA43 in particular, but have also found both the 77 and 31 impressive.

Much like I adore say the nikkor 35/1.4 G and 58/1.4G, the canon 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 on paper or in objective test on an optical bench neither of these lenses seem to be cutting edge in terms of results, yet when you look at the final image in print, they have something going for them. Somthing missing from objectively perfect lenses.
The pentax105/2.4 for 67 and 165/4LS are much in the same category for me.

It is not about absolute wow factor, but much rather about how subtle differences in rendering makes a subtle but significant difference in the images that is hard to pin down, but certainly there.

It is all fluffy and hard to quantify preferences, but none the less how I feel and one of the reasons I still shoot the Pentax 67ii for protraiture work in particular.

Last edited by Duplo; 08-14-2017 at 12:59 PM.
08-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #50

Original Poster
Hello,

Don' t know if there' s a need for this post.
Seeing that I couldn' t let myself spend on another shutter, I bought myself a graphic tablet. Maybe I will edit the rest of the photos, improve my skills. It was a long due need (learning PS) , that and shooting technique. Photo hardware is not the answer (and god knows, 5k on a SH system is a lot of money- new one is non debatable) .

All the best!

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 08-14-2017 at 12:43 AM.
08-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the post; it's always good to know the conclusion to a thread such as this. Sounds like a great choice to me; you've had the benefit of thinking over different approaches to moving forward with your photography and have settled on a good one.
08-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #52
Veteran Member

a graphic tablet

Very cool--I've been eying the Wacom's myself, especially since exposure blending for landscapes is the one great advantage that DSLR's bring to the table. I'll look forward to some examples and reviews from you.

08-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #53
Pentaxian

If you cannot home develop and or scan, film can be very expensive. I prefer shooting film over digital but I got a Nikon MF scanner dirt cheap and have a full darkroom for black and white.

Because I prefer film but still want the advantages of digital I do have a Pentax digital but am more than satisfied with my K5iis and have very slowly filled out the lenses I wanted. For about 363 days a year I cannot see my photography being any better with the K1 unless I printed larger. My advice is to keep your money until you need to move up to MF or a K1.
08-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #54

Original Poster
Hello,

Bought a Wacom Intuous Pro.
Going to be a steep learning curve.
It annoys me already that I can' t set the sensitivity (like my mouse) . Tried it, still starts brushing much before I touch the tab surface. If anyone has a workaround, I am open for a good read.

So, yeah. If you have money, buy a display graphic tablet, if not, seems good but as I said, steep learning curve.

All the best!
08-21-2017, 04:40 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you still want to fiddle with film without spending much, you might also consider a TLR.

There are tons available, over a range of prices, so you could find something in nearly any budget.

Some of them are outstanding optically, and a couple have developed nearly cult followings.

And if you get a good one but decide that isn't your thing, you can likely make your money back.

My first medium format camera was a Yashica-D and I was blown away by the giant chromes it made. It also did remarkable things with black and white. Mamiya even made some with interchangeable lenses...

Just another option...

-Eric