Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Exif ?

Photos submitted to the Forum in my case always has the Exif attached. But there are a lot of Photos don't have the Exif . How come? Classified, not available, non of my Business??? Unless the submitter gives the basic exposure & hardware details we are in the dark. In most cases this is info that is very helpful for me and others to development our hobby or craft. I notice that the larger the file; the Lens used is also in the Exif but not in smaller files and I am not aware of any other limitations. The info is very basic and not as elaborate as the PP programs of course but still very useful IMO.

08-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of post processing programs strip the metadata, especially if the file is being exported for web use. I think that's the main cause.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Photos submitted to the Forum in my case always has the Exif attached. But there are a lot of Photos don't have the Exif . How come? Classified, not available, non of my Business??? Unless the submitter gives the basic exposure & hardware details we are in the dark. In most cases this is info that is very helpful for me and others to development our hobby or craft. I notice that the larger the file; the Lens used is also in the Exif but not in smaller files and I am not aware of any other limitations. The info is very basic and not as elaborate as the PP programs of course but still very useful IMO.
It happens to my images in Gimp. I use darktable to develop raws into Tiffs. These still have exif but when a tiff is processed in Gimp and saved as jpg the tiff is stripped. A known Gimp oddity. It is an easy matter to reattach the exif with an organiser like Digikam but I rarely bother.
08-10-2017, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A lot of post processing programs strip the metadata, especially if the file is being exported for web use. I think that's the main cause.
Good to know thanks Adam. I hope the members that can't export Exif fill in the basic blanks for us when they can. Would be very useful. A lot do already.

I use Picasa 3 almost exclusively for PP incl export & import ( Very Simple Effective Program) so they obviously bundle the exif with the photons. And I will be using it for the duration of my days because when I've tried other PP programs a severe pain wells up behind my eyes and on my back side. Google no longer supports Picasa but I have captured it and put it in a safe place so that I was able to load it on a new computer I just purchased. I love modern technology mostly but I do have a Tin-Foil Helmet that I do wear occasionally.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-10-2017 at 02:25 PM.
08-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Besides "classified" or "None of your business", IMO most photos are just snapshots -the photographer is making image using settings from habit or automation, - any photo with creative aperture or shutter speeds will be abundantly clear... and at that point knowing the exact shutter speed or aperture is less useful than knowing that the shutter was dragged for a particular effect or the aperture was stopped down or wide open for another effect.

Mentorship, dialogue with a local shooter or a group of shooters (I hang out with those guys), organized photowalks (Imagetech does that dont they?), and of course the mother of all teaching... trial and error.

The other part about Exif... it doesnt tell you how. Or why?

How did I get a 1 second exposure at ƒ5.6? The special sauce isn't in the Exif.

Why did I shoot that at ƒ5.6?

I'm through TB quarterly on business. If you are inclined to shoot during one of those visits just let me know how to reach you and I'll get in touch.
08-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The old glass I use on the K-1 doesn't leave many clues in the exif. The focal length is only right if I entered it correctly on the camera so all you get is shutter speed and Iso.
08-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A lot of post processing programs strip the metadata, especially if the file is being exported for web use
When I do a web export from LR the Exif does get stripped - I make a point to publish the relevant shot data when I post an image. Also the way I tag photos there is personally identifying data in the metadata, i'm not doxing myself.

08-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I love modern technology mostly but I do have a Tin-Foil Helmet that I do wear occasionally.