Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
victim of used gear seller online

I Fell Victim to a $1,500 Used Camera Lens Scam on Amazon

I am not the victim. But, wanted to share this story as many of us here buy used gear online.

08-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a nightmare!
08-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I Fell Victim to a $1,500 Used Camera Lens Scam on Amazon

I am not the victim. But, wanted to share this story as many of us here buy used gear online.
So even after the victim was able to prove that the package was delivered to the wrong address, Amazon still refused to make good on the scam. Well, my decision to close my Amazon.com account a few years ago, was the right one to make.

I hope everything quickly improves for the victim.

Thanks for posting.

TT
08-15-2017, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Attorney.
Letterhead.
Service Delivery @ Amazon HQ.

08-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

I don't know what the seller's return policy was but the buyer could have tried initiating a return (not what I paid for/thought I was buying). After all the weight was on the package as well as the tracking number. When there was no response from the seller then gotten Amazon involved.

He could try shipping the oven mitts back to the seller then show Amazon proof of delivery.

Sound like getting the US Postal Inspector involved at this point would be a good idea.
08-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Reminds me of a guy I used to work with that bought a lens on ebay from Singapore.

He purchased a lens and used paypal to pay for it. Three days later gets a message saying item shipped with a tracking number. They shipped it the cheapest and slowest way possible and when it arrived two weeks later instead of a lens it was a little golden buddha statue. He tried to get a refund from paypal but they told him the package arrived, all they cared about was a tracking number to his address. He kept that statue in his office to remind himself not to buy stuff on ebay again.
08-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As Amazon failed, the easy thing would be a charge back.

08-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shop often at Amazon, but you have to be careful with them because they have contracts with shippers who are more interested in the 'speed' the package got to it's destination, rather than weather the package got there at all. Often the carrier just drops the item by your front door without bothering to knock to see if someone is home. If they deliver it to the wrong address then it's on you. Things like this is what made me cancel my Prime account with them.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 08-15-2017 at 11:28 PM.
08-16-2017, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This kind of inattentiveness from Amazon is what facilitates scammers. That said I would never buy an item from
QuoteQuote:
The seller had one good review but didn’t appear to be selling anything else.
Seller calling himself Lana's Store. Looks too much like a bait to me.
08-16-2017, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #10

1 good review... Humm, personally I wouldn't buy something so expensive from someone without a excellent track, on the other hand... I just sold my K1 trough eBay, for a good bit more then that, and I had 0 seller history, I did my best to make sure the buyer was happy, but if I was the buyer, I wouldn't have bought it

Last edited by Nuno Almeida; 08-16-2017 at 05:18 AM.
08-16-2017, 06:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Buying with a credit card offers an extra level of protection. The credit card dispute seems likely to go in the victim's favor. Amazon was the merchant and failed to deliver the advertised product.
08-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite some time ago I had been an avid golfer. I browsed around on ebay looking for some shirts for the coming summer season. I spotted this beautiful looking shirt and the seller had placed the head of an iron across the shirt to make it even more appealing. I took the bait. When I received the item, I tried to unfold it and couldn't because there was some type of adhesive stuck on the abdomen section. I took it to our local dry cleaner to see if anything could be done. I was informed that the adhesive was Super Glue and there was no way to salvage the shirt. I wrote to the seller and didn't even bother to tell him about the adhesive. I did tell him that I hope he does not have any trouble sleeping at night, given the fact that he lied to and cheated an honest individual. In addition to add more coal to the fire, I informed him that I was not going to lodge a formal complaint and thereby not jeopardizing his business. He never responded in any way. It was only $14.00USD, so I decided to absorb my loss and then forget about it. I have also ceased doing business with ebay and had them close my account with them.

Thanks for reading,
Tonytee

Last edited by Tonytee; 08-16-2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Grammar Error.