Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice Chance to Practice your Eclipse Technique!

Lots of folks are wondering about how to photograph the eclipse in a few days.

My original post (So you wanna photograph the Eclipse - what you need to know in (sorta) a nutshell - PentaxForums.com) and references there-in (especially that of Espenak, at the end)) should get you started.

If you want to practice a bit, there is a nice batch of sunspots at the moment. See this NASA website for the latest: SDO/HMI Continuum Image . You can click on the image to enlarge it.

If you can get nice sunspot pictures - i.e. good contrast, good resolution (consistent with your camera and lens), no overexposure of the rest of the solar disk - you should have the right exposure for ALL non-totality phases of the eclipse. There is little variation in the brightness of the sun across its face, except some limb darkening near the edge - so you might want to increase your exposure a bit (I'd guess no more than one or two stops) for the few minutes just before/after totality. If you already have the central sun to the right of your histogram, I would just leave things alone and bump up the brightness in post if you feel it is necessary. There will be enough going on in those few minutes that you don't want to fool around changing settings unnecessarily!!

08-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was using the sunspot cluster as one way of judging my practice shots... I'm kinda stoked that I was able to see them at all

I have two shots here that vary only in shutter speed, but it really makes a difference in the color and saturation and "feel" of the images. I am curious what others think 'better' - the orangey 1/200s or the yellow 1/100s?

I do still have to lock my focus in place with some tape, and try the interval shooting and 2-second delay to reduce shake, but figured I better get the right exposure for this rig first...

Jim

08-22-2017, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #3

I wanted to post a quick note and thank you for this and your other thread They really helped me get some decent images and, more importantly, I had a great time at the eclipse!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
JimS_256,

You're welcome. That's a great diamond ring shot!!

(astro)Dave

08-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I echo the thanks, I was able to get some shots that turned out GREAT by my standards of what I was after. Great advice from many knowledgeable folks and many outstanding results from all over. And JimS that *is* a great ring capture!