Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Questions about Camera Value

I have a rare Pentax I'm going to be selling on the Marketplace. I don't know how to price it and I haven't seen one listed on eBay (nor is one in the eBay historics that I have access to). No other Internet searches have been helpful, either. So I'm trying to get an idea of where to price this thing. Can I open a thread in this forum asking for price guidance without violating forum rules?

08-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You might want to give B&H (used dept.) or KEH a call. They may be able to provide some guidance.
08-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you're welcome to post such a thread as long as you're an established member (which you are ).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, Adam and LoveIsAgeless

08-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Likely fake:
Beware Fake Pentax K1000 SE cameras sold on eBay. | The KermiBlog
08-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Likely fake:
I did not buy it on eBay.
08-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I did not buy it on eBay.
eBay has nothing to do with anything. Which you would know if you had actually read the link I provided.

Unscrupulous camera dealers were selling these fake "SEs" in the 70's and 80's.

The "non-engraved" SEs are just regular K1000s with optional factory or aftermarket split-image screens installed and releathered by dealers. Originally, it would have had a fraudulent sticker saying "SE" on it.

Sorry, I know you really want this camera to be something special, but it only is in a similar, albeit less sophisticated, way to the Zorkis dressed up as "Nazi Leicas."

It's no more valuable than a regular K1000, which is to say about 100-150 bucks with the lens.
08-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
eBay has nothing to do with anything. Which you would know if you had actually read the link I provided.
I did read the article. Before my first post on the subject. And I read previous PF threads about the covering. And yes, eBay definitely does have something to do with it. It's in the title of the article and the link. Perhaps if the response to my questions hadn't been post-the-same-thing-in-two-threads-with-the-work-fake-in-the-response obnoxious we'd be in a different thread response right now. Let's look at a completely different response than "likely fake" and "fake."

"Hey, did you see this article about this subject? It's pretty authoritative." To which I could have explained that yes, I had in fact already read it and five or six others with different variations on that information as well as outright conflicting information, none of which had any citations that can demonstrate the content as something other than anecdotes or conjecture. And while, yes, I am inclined to believe the Kermit Gray piece, and have been since before posting my original thread, I wanted to do a bit of additional research and see who in the PF community might have additional details. And had I opened with 'Hey, I know that Kermit Gray said this but I have a question' the likely and logical response would have been an easy 'just trust the Kermit Gray piece' and that would not have left the door open for further discussion on the subject. So I intentionally opened with a simple question that people could take in any direction in an effort to find sources I had not yet found.

Unscrupulous camera dealers were selling these fake "SEs" in the 70's and 80's.

The "non-engraved" SEs are just regular K1000s with optional factory or aftermarket split-image screens installed and releathered by dealers. Originally, it would have had a fraudulent sticker saying "SE" on it.
Understood. It's fair to also understand that there is a lot of counter information, and mis-information, about the diamond pattern K1000 bodies, especially the MIJ bodies, being rare versions of the K1000. So it's also fair for me to want to verify.

Sorry, I know you really want this camera to be something special, but it only is in a similar, albeit less sophisticated, way to the Zorkis dressed up as "Nazi Leicas."
Of course. Who wouldn't want one of their cameras to be rare? And it is a neat camera with nice aesthetics. And the diamond-grip bodies are uncommon, regardless of their origin.

I own a bunch of legitimately rare cameras, though, and I don't need more of them. They're costly to maintain and I always worry about an earthquake destroying the collection. What I need is to have fewer cameras and use them more often.

I do not agree that this is similar to a counterfeit Leica, however. Counterfeit Leicas are using an inferior product to mimic a superior product in an attempt to dishonestly swindle someone. Assuming that the origins of these as a camera shop aftermarket modification is correct, installing a different focusing screen and covering but calling the camera the same thing, even if it sold for more, is a modification not a lie.