Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2017, 01:10 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Eclipse anomaly

Some of the partial eclipse pictures I took using one of those inexpensive filters turned out with double images. Does anybody have any idea what causes that? (Pentax K-S2 f/5.8 1/400 ISO-400 Manual exposure)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
08-27-2017, 01:16 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nope

but if it was me

I would claim it was intentional

great photo
08-27-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

It's definitly a reflection from the front element and the filter. (cheap coating on the filter)
I like it, great image!
08-27-2017, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
It's definitly a reflection from the front element and the filter. (cheap coating on the filter)
I like it, great image!
Wow, that's a really strong reflection, but yes, the filter would be to blame. At some angles this is unavoidable even with more expensive filters.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2017, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you had one of the Mylar filters, it could do that.

The ones I used (ThousandOaks) are reflective Mylar on the sun side and black on the camera side. I figured that was just for this reason...

But it's still pretty cool 😎

-Eric
08-27-2017, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Pretty cool how the slight differences in wavelengths passed thru gives different colors!
08-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a double solar eclipse?! the world is coming to an end.

08-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's inputs. Yes, it's a filter with Mylar on the outside and black on the inside. Apparently it's a reflection as I understand from the comments. 😃
08-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dauntless Quote
Some of the partial eclipse pictures I took using one of those inexpensive filters turned out with double images.
Just "some"???

If it was a reflection due to your filter, I would expect every shot to look like this.

If it is only some of your shots, then something else is going on. Besides, the two images are almost the same brightness. I would expect a reflection to be much fainter. Also, depending I guess on how many surfaces the reflection came from, I would expect the image to be a mirror image reflected about the center of the frame.

Did you somehow get into a multiple exposure or burst mode of some sort? How were you supporting your camera? Hand-held? Tripod?
08-27-2017, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

This is a Pacman race
08-28-2017, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You get this from a plastic filter which is thick about 4-5 mm thick. A welders glass ( the plastic ones) gives this kind of reflection. I have not liked its use. Mylar does it too but I tried using 4 layers of Mylar film and it gave better images than that thick plastic filter.
08-28-2017, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If only you had titled this thread "what is this?" and not explained, I could see it bemusing a lot of people.
Well me for sure.
08-28-2017, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You must have been beamed onto Tatooine - two moons as well as two suns.
08-28-2017, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

May be it's a reflections off of one of the lens elements. A couple of guys in my office were getting the double moon image with their cell phones.
08-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Just "some"???

If it was a reflection due to your filter, I would expect every shot to look like this.

If it is only some of your shots, then something else is going on. Besides, the two images are almost the same brightness. I would expect a reflection to be much fainter. Also, depending I guess on how many surfaces the reflection came from, I would expect the image to be a mirror image reflected about the center of the frame.

Did you somehow get into a multiple exposure or burst mode of some sort? How were you supporting your camera? Hand-held? Tripod?

Yes, just some of the pictures. I posted this one, because it looks prettier than the others. The camera was on the tripod, but I didn't use a remote.

I've been thinking about it since yesterday and maybe the reflection is not the right word. I might have moved the camera just slightly when I pressed the shutter release. I kind of remember seeing two images on the LCD when I slightly moved the camera. I initially thought the first image was the result of LCD being exposed to a bright image for an extended period of time and it wouldn't show in the actual picture, but it did apparently. I can possibly test it again by taking sun's pictures with the same filter.