Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blog Recomendations?

Here's my situation.

I have a blogger blog account that I used years ago. I would use it for discussing photo techniques and my family and friends would check in to see what was going on in my world (my family and friends span the globe as I moved often when I was younger). I really enjoyed doing it, but took a hiatus from it for some time. Recently, I decided to return to it and start again. Unfortunately there were all kinds of issues. I just didn't like the interface any longer and I continually received the circle of death, to the point I would have to back up and re-load the page.

So I'm wondering, who is blogging with their photos and what are you using? What are the pros and cons of each site? I've looked at WordPress recently, but there are a lot of blog sites out there.

Any suggestions?

08-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Also interested in this issue - subscribing to this thread and looking forward to people recommendations/experiences...
08-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Unregistered User

I've used Blogger for over thirteen years, it was pretty flaky in the beginning but has been very stable for me. I am not using the "themes", I still use an old "template" that I've modifed over the years. I just could not get the new "themes" to work to my satisfaction. I usually add simple images directly through the HTML page on the post editor (not the compose mode). Google has changed adding images in the last couple of years, if you click on an image on the blog you will get an enlarged version but no other information, unlike the old Picasa, and you can't put them in groups or edit them. If I am going to interact with people over a photo (share exif info, for an example), then I'll use Flickr, which seems to be stable now since its been renovated.

I don't know what the "circle of death" is.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-30-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: more info
08-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I've used Blogger for over thirteen years, it was pretty flaky in the beginning but has been very stable for me. I am not using the "themes", I still use an old "template" that I've modifed over the years. I just could not get the new templates to work to my satisfaction. I usually add simple images directly through the HTML page on the posts, Google has changed this in the last couple of years, if you click on an image on the blog you will get an enlarged version but no other information. If I am going to interact with people over a photo (share exif info, for an example), then I'll use Flickr, which seems to be stable now since its been renovated.

I don't know what the "circle of death" is.
Lol, circle of death is when a page or program is loading and you get the circle on your screen because it's taking so long. I use and like Flickr also, and have been for many years. It may be that I just need to work with blogger a bit more to get use to the changes.

08-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Lol, circle of death is when a page or program is loading and you get the circle on your screen because it's taking so long. I use and like Flickr also, and have been for many years. It may be that I just need to work with blogger a bit more to get use to the changes.
I used to get that when I had dial-up service, years ago.
08-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep, also subscribing on this topic.
Hope to see some useful tips.
I do (very seldom, only 2 sofar) some blogs on my smugmug account, but it is far from a userfriendly setup for that. It's just not meant for that, but it works for 'seldom' 'posts.
(You can see it in my signature)
08-31-2017, 02:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am using Drupal 7 as a CMS for my blog / web site.

I used to use Wordpress, and it is day and night to Drupal in almost everything. WP is way easier to get things started and going. Back-end UI makes sense and easy to use, but a lot less flexible when I want to tweak things outside of what WP or its plugin already provided in the package. Many large corporation like NY times, Forbes, UPS, Sony are using WP. (complete list is here.) That tell how well the system is.
They got a free solution offering here. if you want to get your blog up and run fast. I think WP is one of the best CMS out there.

On the other hand, Drupal 7 was very hard for me to learn at first. Back end is overwhelming, but once I know how it works I can do so many thing on my own. I like it a lot more than WP now because it is almost limitless on what I can do to my blog. To me it is one of the most flexible opensource CMS we have.
they also have free solutions offering here. and this is a list of large businesses using Drupal.

To elaborate the diffrence between the two, to me WP is like the P mode, and Drupal is the M mode. [Edit: May be M is too little to compair to Drupal. it could be the whole program wheel with no P and green mode, I should say!]
Since both have free hosting service offered, it might be a good idea to try both and see what fit you most.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-31-2017 at 02:33 AM.
08-31-2017, 05:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I am using Drupal 7 as a CMS for my blog / web site.

I used to use Wordpress, and it is day and night to Drupal in almost everything. WP is way easier to get things started and going. Back-end UI makes sense and easy to use, but a lot less flexible when I want to tweak things outside of what WP or its plugin already provided in the package. Many large corporation like NY times, Forbes, UPS, Sony are using WP. (complete list is here.) That tell how well the system is.
They got a free solution offering here. if you want to get your blog up and run fast. I think WP is one of the best CMS out there.

On the other hand, Drupal 7 was very hard for me to learn at first. Back end is overwhelming, but once I know how it works I can do so many thing on my own. I like it a lot more than WP now because it is almost limitless on what I can do to my blog. To me it is one of the most flexible opensource CMS we have.
they also have free solutions offering here. and this is a list of large businesses using Drupal.

To elaborate the diffrence between the two, to me WP is like the P mode, and Drupal is the M mode. [Edit: May be M is too little to compair to Drupal. it could be the whole program wheel with no P and green mode, I should say!]
Since both have free hosting service offered, it might be a good idea to try both and see what fit you most.
I appreciate the advice, I had never heard of Drupal but will check it out.
08-31-2017, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #9

I like Wordpress, it is very easy to update and get material posted with out a lot of effort. I am not a prolific blogger and I do not want to have to struggle to get things posted so it works well for me. I use it for my model railroading.

Jim Fellows
08-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I use WordPress.com for both my blogs. Found a couple of ok templates but all CMS, no coding Free and the only upgrades I buy are "No Ads" on both for $30 per year and "brookemeyer.blog", couldn't resist.

Here's what they look like: Brooke's Blog | A Photographer's Lightbox and It's All Clear Now | An Artists Communion Through A Lens
Very impressive Brooke! I like what you have there. At this point I'm leaning heavily towards WordPress.

Thank you for the input!