Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #1

Need recommendation on sharing photos

Hello. I'm a long time Pentax owner, but new to this forum and am starting to get more serious into photography. It's all just been touristy stuff until now. I recently acquired the legendary Rokinon/Samyang 14mm F2.8 lens and the GPS unit. I'm going to head out and practice some landscape and astro stuff. I'd like to start uploading some work to share with you guys for fun. I've read through lots of this forum and I like it. It's a great place for Pentaxians and you guys have been so nice.

What I'd like to know is what is the best spot to upload and save my photos online? Which website allows me to create a site I can save my pictures for free or for a modest fee if it's really good. What's the goto site for photo sharing and archiving in 2017?

And by the way I saw the photo contests you have on this forum. Watch out!!! There is a beginner with a Samyang heading out to do some astrolandscaping. I'm going to win me a contest .

09-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gondo Quote
. . . And by the way I saw the photo contests you have on this forum. Watch out!!! There is a beginner with a Samyang heading out to do some astrolandscaping. I'm going to win me a contest .

bring it on

( I don't do that contest, so I don't care )

welcome to the forum
09-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello. I'm a long time Pentax owner, but new to this forum and am starting to get more serious into photography. It's all just been touristy stuff until now. I recently acquired the legendary Rokinon/Samyang 14mm F2.8 lens and the GPS unit. I'm going to head out and practice some landscape and astro stuff. I'd like to start uploading some work to share with you guys for fun. I've read through lots of this forum and I like it. It's a great place for Pentaxians and you guys have been so nice.

What I'd like to know is what is the best spot to upload and save my photos online? Which website allows me to create a site I can save my pictures for free or for a modest fee if it's really good. What's the goto site for photo sharing and archiving in 2017?

And by the way I saw the photo contests you have on this forum. Watch out!!! There is a beginner with a Samyang heading out to do some astrolandscaping. I'm going to win me a contest .
Honestly, for most of my work I use Apple Photos and backup to the Cloud and use Photo Sharing for getting images to friends and family, and Flickr for everyone else.

If you use a Mac.
09-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flickr.

09-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Flickr. Don't use photo bucket. They charge $400 a year to post your photo's for third party websites like this. I moved to flickr along time ago and don't even bother with my photo bucket account anymore. It can just sit there and rot for all i care.
09-02-2017, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

ditto on the Flickr suggestions...
09-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Another vote for Flickr.

09-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #8

Original Poster
I'm familiar with Devianart. I've certainly heard of Flickr, Photobucket, and Instagram. I never realized Flickr was so popular and thought it was just another media website like Pinterest.

I was looking for pro quality sites like Devianart.

A quick search reveals that Flickr is more Photography based, Devianart is obviously heavy with digital 3d art, and 500PX is heavy on HDR photoshopped pics. Every review I read says 500px is superior to Flickr. Any comments?
09-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every review I read says 500px is superior to Flickr. Any comments?
Superior for what? Do you want to sell your photos. Then 500px is better for that. But keep in mind that free users can only upload 7 photos per week to 500px.

If you aren't selling photos, but want the popularity contest type site, try Youpic. Both sites are infested with bots though.

But if you aim is to have your photos online, and share them to other sites, then Flickr is superior. It is also by far the better site for backing up your photo collection as JPEGs.

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-02-2017 at 03:20 PM.
09-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum

I vote for flickr

as well as this forum - " What's the goto site for photo sharing "

Photo Sharing and Galleries - PentaxForums.com

as well as either posting in specific threads or creating your own thread
09-02-2017, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been perfectly happy with Flickr.
09-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

No to Photobucket. I had them years ago, then they screwed the pooch.

Flickr is popular, but it would not sort by filename when I signed up, so I left the next day. I don't enjoy looking at the Flickr page.

Went to SlickPic. It is OK. It's $35 a year, with up to 3 levels of albums. I have 50,000 images there. As a photo repository it does all I need.

SmugMug is a bit more expensive, but customizable, and you can sell from it.
09-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Instagram and 500px are probably the most popular overall right now. If you are mixing in images from a phone/tablet, Apple Photos and Google Photos could be considered too.

I think Flickr is sort of looked at as "past its prime" in the popularity game. However, I personally think Flickr is still the best all-around choice. They each offer some advantages, depending on what you are looking for (Instagram with lots of users, 500px for its "competition" atmosphere and so on.)

Based on what you said, it seems like you're mostly looking for a place to store and be able to share here. If that is the extent of it, I think Flickr would make a lot of sense.
09-03-2017, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked around earlier this year and went with Flickr too.

If you use Flickr It's very easy to post a photo hosted on Flickr in a post on this forum:
1. Open the photo in your Flickr photostream or album that you want to post here.
2. Click the Share button at the bottom. (It looks like an arrow pointing to the right.)
3. Click the tab that says "BBCode"
4. In the drop-down box, select the size photo that you want. Something like 1000 or 1600 on the longer side is usually plenty big enough.
5. Copy the BBCode. If you use the whole code, it will include your name and a text link as well as the photo. I prefer just to copy the first part from the first open url tag to the first close url tag.
6. Paste the code into the post you are creating on PF. It's a good idea to use the "preview post" button to see how it looks before posting.
7. Submit the post and the photo will be displayed.

You can also get BBCodes for multiple photos in an album using this tool: Flickr BB Code thumbnail gallery generator FREE! (If I want to post a series of photos, I often copy them into a temporary album on Flickr and then use this tool to generate BBCode.)

Voila!

09-03-2017, 03:08 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I looked around earlier this year and went with Flickr too.

If you use Flickr It's very easy to post a photo hosted on Flickr in a post on this forum:
1. Open the photo in your Flickr photostream or album that you want to post here.
2. Click the Share button at the bottom. (It looks like an arrow pointing to the right.)
3. Click the tab that says "BBCode"
4. In the drop-down box, select the size photo that you want. Something like 1000 or 1600 on the longer side is usually plenty big enough.
5. Copy the BBCode. If you use the whole code, it will include your name and a text link as well as the photo. I prefer just to copy the first part from the first open url tag to the first close url tag.
6. Paste the code into the post you are creating on PF. It's a good idea to use the "preview post" button to see how it looks before posting.
7. Submit the post and the photo will be displayed.

You can also get BBCodes for multiple photos in an album using this tool: Flickr BB Code thumbnail gallery generator FREE! (If I want to post a series of photos, I often copy them into a temporary album on Flickr and then use this tool to generate BBCode.)

Voila!
it seems, however, when you import photos as described, the EXIF data isn't apparent

as a learner I really appreciate the opportunity to discover what I can from such data contained in the excellent photos I see posted here in the forum without having to click on the photo and go to the flickr account of the poster