Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

In a rut...

Ever get the feeling that there's just nothing to photograph? I guess I have the photographic equivalent of writer's block. Is that a thing?

Any thoughts on how to break through?

09-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would say you should buy a new lens. That always helps me
09-02-2017, 03:28 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't buy a new lens (unless you really want to)

Join the Single In group and force yourself to use your least used lens in creative new ways every day for a month.

If you don't shoot street, get out and give it a go. If you don't do portraits, find a friend and play around. Experiment with still lifes around the house and off camera lighting. Check out the night sky. Look at Flickr's Explore stream and try to replicate something that inspires you. So many options.
09-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grab a lens, as suggested, perhaps one you don't use often, and go for a walk. Don't come home until you've taken too many pictures, like at least 200. Find the rock, the telephone pole, the tin can, something. Play with it. Look at it differently. Ever shoot black and white film? When I walk outside with a roll of B&W, it's a different mind set. I see differently. Maybe switch your camera to black and white mode. Have fun, and don't take anything too seriously.

09-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eh, I get in a photographic rut from time to time. My photographic world is very small. I think sometimes a person just needs to let himself be for a while.

If you have any teleconverters, close-up adapters, etc try using them in combinations that you've never used before.

I've also found that cleaning my camera and lenses gets the enthusiasm going a bit, too.
09-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree, don't buy a lens, choose a theme or take on one of this forum's challenges. The project can kick start your creative juices.

09-02-2017, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Ever get the feeling that there's just nothing to photograph? I guess I have the photographic equivalent of writer's block. Is that a thing?

Take a trip. Even if you stay local go someplace you've never been before and see what you can find to photograph. Don't buy anything other than perhaps an admission ticket, if needed.

09-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I imagine that many of us go through periods like that. Certainly, the subject pops up here occasionally. What you should do probably depends on how you're feeling about other things in your life, at the time,

Generally, though, robiles' advice is good, though you don't necessarily have to buy a new lens (or anything). If you have a lens or two that's been sitting around without much use for a while, you could re-discover it - put it on your camera and go around a few favourite places with it, to see things differently. Failing that, have a look around at some aspects of photography that you haven't tried before - portraiture, macro etc - and try your hand.

If you really want to spend some money, though, I find there's nothing quite like travel to get you going on many aspects of photography, not just pictures of famous objects, but all the aspects - detail, lighting, composition, so-called "street" photography, even portraiture. I'm looking forward to travel to Europe later this month, to get me fired up.
09-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It definitely happens. It's happened to me more than one time.

Here are a few thoughts on the subject... one, it's not a bad thing to hang up your camera for a while. I've gone a month or even two without snapping a single photo. That said you still have to check your desire to take photos. By that you might not have a camera in hand but if you get to the point where you are walking around framing things up in your mind, or checking out how the light falls on a subject, this is a good thing.

Along with that, TAKE A BREAK! Nothing wrong with taking a break. That said I personally will read books about photography and see pictures other people take or read about art or anything like that. All of those things can eventually combine together to improve your photography.

Taking time to study is a big deal if you ask me. There is definitely a lot of 'book work' if you plan to get to that other level. I have a book for example that will take 20 years to get even remotely good at... it's all about light, the different kinds of light, and everything in between. When I lack inspiration I break out that book (or others) and read away. Please note that I have never to my recollection ever read a book about how sensors work or anything like that. I personally focus on stuff that is about artistic quality. You will find that many of the masters of art and photography were masters at 1) light 2) observation. People that can lift every day mundane things and elevate them into art is fascinating.

I personally travel quite often but when I am back in Texas it's almost like 'block' hits me. To me, here, there is nothing to shoot. Texas as a whole is probably one of the least photography friendly places ever. But when you start getting down to real elements of light and how that interacts with your subject... there is a lot going on regardless of where you are at. Also read up about Ansel Adams (youtube has good videos too). He has an 11 zone method. Study that and get back to me.

Another thing that I do is try stuff I've never tried before. I got really into the 'blah' mode before and then I took up macro. It was something out of my element but I was curious so I learned about it. Same thing can ring true for flash or other things.

At the end of the day light inspires me. When you learn how to read light better you will start seeing thousands of more opportunities for shots.
09-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would suggest a photo walk with a professional. I take the 'Photo walk' when visiting a National park or city. It is amazing what that has done for my interest and skill. Sure the pro takes you to some standard photo locations to shoot through streaming light etc. BUT you will get tips that help you every day.
09-02-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Awesome responses, guys, thanks!

I haven't done forum challenges or single lens/months and that could be a great idea.

I also have a flash that I feel like I've never learned to use properly, that could be a thing.
09-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Awesome responses, guys, thanks!

I haven't done forum challenges or single lens/months and that could be a great idea.

I also have a flash that I feel like I've never learned to use properly, that could be a thing.
Focus on quality over quantity.
09-02-2017, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I have the photographic equivalent of writer's block. Is that a thing?
If you change your process, you will change the outcome. I find this is one of the best ways to overcome stagnation.

People stick with familiar processes because they can predict the outcome - unfortunately this often leads to their work becoming stale.
09-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been off my game of late too, though I continue to look for something to ignite a spark. I like to capture landscapes but I also like sports and events as they are completely different to shoot. I maintain some bookmarks that let me see what's coming up around where I live, so I wondered what might be coming up i your neck of the woods.

I see you're in Seattle and when searching events I came across a lot of interesting things that would have me out and about.

I came across this webpage: SEATTLE events, fairs, festivals - September 2017 and on it is a vintage aircraft event this weekend and a lighthouse festival next weekend. And that's just for starters. This looks like a handy webpage as it covers the entire year.

I also came across another type of Seattle event webpage here: Seattle Festivals 2017-2018 | Find Events in Seattle, WA | Everfest It seems people up your way don't mind a beer or two, but what intrigued me about this page was a Hawaii festival that has an image portraying Australian Aboriginals. There's no mention of other 'indigenous pacific cultures' on the festival website so it's probably a mistake by the host of the events webpage. I'm not sure if this is covering all the same events as the first link, so you might want to cross reference them and any others you find for events not covered by any one page

Anyhoo, so my suggestion is to bookmark websites like this so you can drop by them each week or each month and plan around trying to capture the essence of an event that catches your eye.

Good luck with it mate.

Tas
09-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Just posted a few photos to Flickr after over four months. A weekend break did the trick. Stayed in the same city, so you don't even have to go far.