Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

In the far-off days of totally manual film photography, when I would lug around two film bodies (instead of nowadays, when I lug around two DSLRs!), I would use slide film in one, FP4 in t'other. There were film box reminder slots on the back, but as I 'rolled my own' from bulk, they were used for a folded piece of paper to make notes on (cunning, heh ?).

The problem of knowing which body was which (both Ricoh KR10 Super) was solved by colouring the Ricoh logo on the pentaprism with a red felt-tip pen on the body containing slide film. Incidentally, I was often asked the derivation of this 'enhancement' - my reply was usually that the depth of field on the body was greater due to a larger mirror.

BTW, Dave, the only discussions I've ever had with other photogs have been other Pentax users, when we congratulate each other on our good taste, and I try to blag a drink off them.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 09-09-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: More 'thoughts'
09-09-2017, 10:45 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-1 is so well built if anyone tried to steal it from me I would have no compunction over beating them senseless with it.

Last time I did that with a Pentax DSLR - Pentax sent me a replacement free of charge.
09-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
This. Definitely this.
Me too, I've always do this with every camera I'm using, irrespective of brand, yes even Canikons.
09-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Me too, I've always do this with every camera I'm using, irrespective of brand, yes even Canikons.
I just don't tolerate that kind of crap. If someone is trying to coerce me to try some other brand I politely inform them I've tried them all, and I've kept all the cameras I like. If someone is pushy, I either tell them I've picked the best, or I not-too-vaguely imply that they are stupid sheep.

09-10-2017, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #20

I shoot weddings and at some point I gaffe taped my logo as well.

My main reason is to prevent people stopping me DURING a wedding and striking up a conversation about "why Pentax and not Canikon?".

Other reason was during sessions the couple, or more specifically the guy, would constantly stare at the logo. Blacking it out actually brought that down giving me smoother sessions.

There's also the mystery of "I wonder what camera he's using" and surprisingly I have had a person or two still ask me if it's a Pentax and what lens I was using (rather than is that Nikon or Canon as eluded to my first reason).
09-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
f someone is trying to coerce me to try some other brand I politely inform them I've tried them all, and I've kept all the cameras I like. If someone is pushy, I either tell them I've picked the best, or I not-too-vaguely imply that they are stupid sheep.
Aye but when I'm working, I don't even want to enter into that much conversation, just to get on with job in hand.
09-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I do it because it cuts down reflections, especially in closeups and when shooting through glass.

Avoiding gear related discussions is a bonus tho.

On the flipside I often tape gear up with orange tape (or use sparkly ribbons) when photographing at night - makes it easier to find stuff if you put it down or drop it.

09-13-2017, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The K-1 is so well built if anyone tried to steal it from me I would have no compunction over beating them senseless with it.
Yes,when i did this the thief came to his senses.
09-13-2017, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,when i did this the thief came to his senses.
See how far we've come from the earliest models? If you beat someone with a *ist D, you'd be lucky to produce a bruise. The K-1 is a far more effective weapon. Why don't we see this mentioned in reviews?! Go Ricoh!!!!
09-13-2017, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Well, in that case a Nikon F on a monopod would give even the Vikings pause for thought !
09-13-2017, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can buy a black replacement for the famous Leica red dot.
That way your camera will match your all-black hipster outfit.

Chris
09-13-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Well, in that case a Nikon F on a monopod would give even the Vikings pause for thought !
That better be one hell of a monopod!
09-14-2017, 01:01 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you beat someone with a *ist D, you'd be lucky to produce a bruise.

Yes, but the CCD sensor would make it a really amazingly colourful bruise.
09-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
My guess is that blacking out the brand name make the camera a little less conspicuous - something that would be important to street photographers and the like.
Yep ...that`s why I do it.
I can`t prove that it has any effect but I think that we`re "programmed " to notice script on objects .
Clearly that`s why they put them on.

Last edited by michael markey; 09-14-2017 at 11:12 PM.