Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2017, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Lots of great balanced info in this thread. Learning a lot.

Not sure if this was mentioned, or if a DSLR has it(don't see it on the K-1), but with a zoom lens on a milc it shows the Focal length on the Screen. So although its focus by wire(not really all that consistent), you can set the zoom to lets say 23, 25, 62, and it shows you what you have the lens set at.
Why would you want that? I frame based on what I see and not based on the focal length and I assume the same is true for EVFs and OVFs alike.

Honestly, if I used an EVF, I would turn off as much of the stuff in the viewfinder as possible. I really don't want a histogram popping up or lots of shimmery lines on different objects to show what's in focus. I just want to see the scene before me so I can figure out how best to frame it and capture it.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-23-2017 at 03:42 AM.
09-23-2017, 07:02 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why would you want that? I frame based on what I see and not based on the focal length and I assume the same is true for EVFs and OVFs alike.

Honestly, if I used an EVF, I would turn off as much of the stuff in the viewfinder as possible. I really don't want a histogram popping up or lots of shimmery lines on different objects to show what's in focus. I just want to see the scene before me so I can figure out how best to frame it and capture it.

Its just a feature that comes with it. I guess there would be a few reasons why someone would want that feature. You could just set the zoom based on what you like from what you see, but some want a little bit extra information in their shot. A reassurance the object is in focus, or they know if the scene is properly exposed, extra tools for either milc or dslr. Like the histogram, or the aperture, or shutter speed. There are times where id like to know what focal length i am at with my lens.

I dont need to take my eyes away from the viewfinder to know im at lets say 80 or 26 and not 70 or 28( compression differences, and how im visualizing the final image).

I want to recreate a particular shot at a different time for different lighting. I know the the spot that i had the tripod, i set my focus the same as i had it, with the extra info i can set it to the value i had. Same image but now instead of juggling with getting the right frame, i now can focus on nailing the exposure i want.

There are times where im scratching my head as to see what focal length im at with my zoom but just had to guess for equivalence reasons.

Those are the ones i can think of. Some like as much information as possible for reassurance. some like less clutter so it makes it easier to focus, some want both depending on the situation.
09-23-2017, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Its just a feature that comes with it. I guess there would be a few reasons why someone would want that feature. You could just set the zoom based on what you like from what you see, but some want a little bit extra information in their shot. A reassurance the object is in focus, or they know if the scene is properly exposed, extra tools for either milc or dslr. Like the histogram, or the aperture, or shutter speed. There are times where id like to know what focal length i am at with my lens.

I dont need to take my eyes away from the viewfinder to know im at lets say 80 or 26 and not 70 or 28( compression differences, and how im visualizing the final image).

I want to recreate a particular shot at a different time for different lighting. I know the the spot that i had the tripod, i set my focus the same as i had it, with the extra info i can set it to the value i had. Same image but now instead of juggling with getting the right frame, i now can focus on nailing the exposure i want.

There are times where im scratching my head as to see what focal length im at with my zoom but just had to guess for equivalence reasons.

Those are the ones i can think of. Some like as much information as possible for reassurance. some like less clutter so it makes it easier to focus, some want both depending on the situation.
I guess. My zoom lenses have numbers written on them that tell focal length as well as having a focus scale. I use the focus ones some with wide angles like the DA 15 limited to set a hyperfocal length, but overall it is fairly unimportant to me. The big thing is to frame up the scene in the best way you can and if you are at 40mm or 70mm or 20mm doesn't really matter if it is what works best.
09-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess. My zoom lenses have numbers written on them that tell focal length as well as having a focus scale. I use the focus ones some with wide angles like the DA 15 limited to set a hyperfocal length, but overall it is fairly unimportant to me. The big thing is to frame up the scene in the best way you can and if you are at 40mm or 70mm or 20mm doesn't really matter if it is what works best.

Each person has their own way about how they take pictures. I know zooms have the focal length on them, i was just pointing out that with the mirrorless cameras they show the focal length in that case you don’t have to pull your eye away from the view finder.

Yup and sometimes you stitch to panoramas, and sometimes you dont. What ever works best

10-03-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
Oh sweet lord help us mirrorless shooters! I can get about 400, many times more, out of one battery. How many photos are you taking exactly? .

My K-3 battery last for 11 shots in worst case. If you machinegun images battery life is no issue. 99,99% of the time I look through the viewfinder composing an image. If I have to use electricity in order to be able to that as well I could just as well find me another hobby.....
10-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
My K-3 battery last for 11 shots in worst case. If you machinegun images battery life is no issue. 99,99% of the time I look through the viewfinder composing an image. If I have to use electricity in order to be able to that as well I could just as well find me another hobby.....
Excellent point!

Cameras should be rated not just in shots/battery but hours-of-VF-use/battery. For focal length selection, framing, composing, and even focusing, a DSLR has virtually infinite battery life. In that regard, mirrorless is inferior.

There's also the issue of getting image with the lowest possible sensor noise (and highest DR) which entails NOT using the sensor except for capturing the final image. And in that regard, mirrorless is inferior.

Whether DSRL or mirrorless is better depends on the photographer and their goals.