Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by YankeeDan Quote
K1 if I go for a hike and for all landscape shots. I'd grab the Fuji for street shooting and a camera to carry around all the time.
Yes, exactly how i use mine.But i dont have the XP2(but soon to get its little bro XE3)

09-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my Olympus mft experience - very small bodies and lenses, light weight, portability, evf is nice when you get used to it (can see exposure as it is in the final file), shutter shock is non existent (at least with my EM1 body), can adapt any lens out there with manual focus.

Disadvantages - battery life, evf can be tricky at night or laggy in certain situations, native lenses can be expensive and sparse in certain areas.

I hear fuji raws have issues with adobe's profiles, don't have first hand experience with that though. Lack of ibis is kind of a bummer.

Iq wise you'll be very close to the top of the apsc mountain I believe, fujis have excellent sensors.
09-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember you will be driving with an LCD in front of you and not a windshield with vipers. That is the biggest advantage. (or not)
09-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went with Olympus EM10 (M43) for size to take on hikes and events. I use my Pentax lenses via adapters and its easier on this camera than the Pentax cameras I own. I love the EVF so much I cant go back to the OVF and instead went out and bought a K-01.
Not with Fuji but the experience must be similar? I like Olympus also for the IBIS but battery life is pretty short.

09-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

An ability to do electronic zoom in while using EVF to confirm the focus could be an advantage too. It could help use manual lens so much easier for me. I am thinking about mirrorless FF every now and then. But On APSC, I don't think K3 is heavy or chunky after attach a lens. Maybe because I carry 2 small primes at max and do not use camera bag but only a small size pouch which is hanged from my belt. Anyway, good luck on your search and make sure to add your lens / zoom weight into the calculation.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 09-11-2017 at 06:53 PM.
09-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
After so many threads about this... My opinion about the most clever thing to tell is just: buy an used one and try it. This could sound harsh (no offense inteded) but trust me, we can discuss to death about advantages of mirrorless Vs reflex but no one but you can say if mirrorless advantages are real advantages for you and if the MLC system you choose could fit your needs. And , psichologically, perhaps if I tell myself I will like a mirrorless, perhaps I decided to buy one and it's just a matter of time before I do it. This always happens to me with cameras and lenses My 2 cents.
Correct. From the words of the OP, there is already a desire to buy a Fuji mirrorless regardless what it does, just because it looks cool. The specs don't matter. He is just looking for some rational arguments to confirm the purchase.
09-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Correct. From the words of the OP, there is already a desire to buy a Fuji mirrorless regardless what it does, just because it looks cool. The specs don't matter. He is just looking for some rational arguments to confirm the purchase.
There's nothing wrong with looking and finding a rational argument to justify a want and turn it into a need. Just be sure to follow through on the argument. If you want a mirrorless body for use with manual focus lenses then you better go shutter happy with that Takumar mounted on your Fuji or Sony! Otherwise you're just a collector looking to buy the next thing for storing on your shelf.

09-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Fuji mirrorless regardless what it does
They all take pictures and video.

The specs don't matter.
Yes, because the specs for the current Fujis are close.

the purchase.
Can vary a lot from model to model...AND theres no indication of which model....just "probably Fuji".

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
go shutter happy with that Takumar mounted on your Fuji
And they go well together...straight adapter for the 1.5x or a FR/SR for a near FF(1.1x)
09-12-2017, 02:28 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really understand why people post questions if they have already made their mind up. In the end, you probably can get basically the same photos with a Fuji that you can with a K3 or K3 II. Fuji has a little better jpeg engine, so if you hate processing RAW files, then that could be a plus, but otherwise I doubt that there are many images taken with one system that couldn't be taken with the other. It really comes down to what is comfortable to use and which you enjoy more.
09-12-2017, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

A lot of the people who have switched to Fuji seem to have done it simply because they like the styling and design that Fuji offers. People need to shoot with cameras they like using. The Samsung NX-1 was a great camera with an awesome spec sheet, but it was a rather plain and uninspiring looking camera. Pentaxians who were attracted to the DA Limited prime lenses will find the Fuji system very appealing. For the enthusiast, feeling that connection with the camera is very important. People are more likely to go to the trouble of packing and carrying a camera if they really love using it.
09-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really understand why people post questions if they have already made their mind up. In the end, you probably can get basically the same photos with a Fuji that you can with a K3 or K3 II. Fuji has a little better jpeg engine, so if you hate processing RAW files, then that could be a plus, but otherwise I doubt that there are many images taken with one system that couldn't be taken with the other. It really comes down to what is comfortable to use and which you enjoy more.
Nah, it comes down to what a forum full of strangers thinks. I guess you didn't get the memo titled "How to Make Decisions in the 21st Century".

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
A lot of the people who have switched to Fuji seem to have done it simply because they like the styling and design that Fuji offers. People need to shoot with cameras they like using. The Samsung NX-1 was a great camera with an awesome spec sheet, but it was a rather plain and uninspiring looking camera. Pentaxians who were attracted to the DA Limited prime lenses will find the Fuji system very appealing. For the enthusiast, feeling that connection with the camera is very important. People are more likely to go to the trouble of packing and carrying a camera if they really love using it.
+1

One of the reasons I enjoy my K-01 so much is because it's so unconventional-looking. The K-5/K-3 series are handsome DSLR's, and that does have an impact on me, compared to the rather homely Canikon offerings in the same class. And really if a person, just by looking at and holding a Fuji camera, feels let's go and make some photos, that's as good a reason as any to buy one.
09-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I shoot Olympus OMD M4/3 stuff. Until Pentax can offer me a mirrorless (why oh why could the KP not be that?) I will stay in that world. The advantages are body size and lens size. When you step up in sensor size, the body remains small but lenses become bigger so there is no real advantage there. I like the touch to focus and not needing to use a directional pad to change focus points. I like the EVF and the ability to make shutter and aperture adjustments and see real time what it would do. I like that I can play with the curve in the camera before taking the shot and seeing it, again in real time. There area lot advantages to it.
09-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
In the end, you probably can get basically the same photos with a Fuji that you can with a K3 or K3 II. Fuji has a little better jpeg engine, so if you hate processing RAW files, then that could be a plus, but otherwise I doubt that there are many images taken with one system that couldn't be taken with the other. It really comes down to what is comfortable to use and which you enjoy more.
+1. .And, as it seems, products like the Fuji xt2 have filled the gap in the AF area, making the MILC a much more refined tool than yesterday. That's why system differences are even smaller.
09-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I just to add a small comment that one disadvantage of mirrorless (and indeed Pentax) is that there are fewer long lens options out there. So if you're ever planning on going the nature and wildlife photography route, keep this in mind.
09-15-2017, 02:08 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote
Hello everyone--

I'm thinking about switching to a mirrorless camera, probably a Fuji. Other than smaller size and lighter weight, what advantages, if any, do mirrorless cameras offer?

Are the Fuji lenses for mirrorless cameras as good as Pentax glass?

Thank you!

Brucie
Every camera of the latest generation - no matter if FF, APS-C, MFT and even some of the so called 1 inch sensors - produces stunning images in the hands of the right photographer. The weight issue is overrated, unless you are going with MFT the advantage is negligible and in that case it comes at the cost of completely losing DOF control. And the weight assessment can vary on individual lenses.
Suppose you are into macro photography: the just released Fuji is bigger, heavier and costlier than the Pentax 100mm WR.
Fuji glass - according to most reliable reviews like the ones by Photozone - is mediocre in tha lab tests but - just like with any other digital camera system - the camera software will provide all the necessary (and unnecessary) adjustments.
The results produced by the X-Trans sensor are not everybody's cup of coffee and if you already own a PP software check that it supports Fuji files.
BTW if you want an upgrade why ignoring the latest Pentax generation? no other brand can offer amazing features like Pixel Shift or the high ISO capabilities (in the APS-C realm) of the KP or the K70.
My final suggestion is: rent one before buying one, you will waste less money than realizing within 6 months that you bought into the wrong camera system (talking from painful experience: 5 camera systems in 5 years - returning to Pentax from where I started ).