Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #1

Price for stock photo

I have been approached for a photo of mine from the Italian Dolomites by a large global mountaineer company who wish to purchase the photo for use on a new product campaign they are about to release. I have had large success in selling my prints online but never stock photo's. they have asked me how much do they have to pay me for the photo. Does anyone have an idea on what I should charge? Any help greatly appreciate.

09-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me it usually depends on the use. Is this for web or print? How big? How many will be printed? Cover? Exclusive? Is it just for one campaign or do they want multi/unlimited use? All of these will be factors.
Some places will offer a certain rate or range but they don't always want to reveal this info if they think you might take less. It may not hurt to ask what they would typically pay and take that into consideration too.

The bottom line is it depends.
09-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In some European countries, the national union photographer publish guide line for pricing with the various conditions (like mattb123 describes).
You should maybe look into a union of photographer ?
09-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
The photo will be used on a global scale for a new campaign , as posters in shops and for internet use. They won't have full rights of the photo but I will give them he liberty to use as needed
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
For me it usually depends on the use. Is this for web or print? How big? How many will be printed? Cover? Exclusive? Is it just for one campaign or do they want multi/unlimited use? All of these will be factors.
Some places will offer a certain rate or range but they don't always want to reveal this info if they think you might take less. It may not hurt to ask what they would typically pay and take that into consideration too.

The bottom line is it depends.

09-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
Very interesting article indeed. Still very complex to fathom. Basically depends on their budget for the campaign really. We are talking global here, the size of north face, so I'd imagine their budget is not small
09-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, no simple answer but that article gives a reasonable approach if you can get that number from the potential client. I also have the application, FotoQuote which is kind of clunky and may not apply to every market, but it does give a good starting point for calculating prices. I find for the local market if I ask what FQ suggests I don't get the sale but bigger national or global clients might be a little more understanding and used to these kinds of prices.