Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2017, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One Photographer Reports That 95% Of Travel Photos Taken With Cell Phones

In addition to Pentax, I also own a few Fuji cameras. Today I was hanging out at the Fuji forum and one of the other members had this to say...

"I just came back from a 7-day cruise to Alaska on a giant, 5000 person cruise ship. I was probably the tourist with the most sophisticated camera, the APS-C Fuji X-T2. I saw 4 or 5 tourists with Nikons and one with a Canon (Nikon D3000 class.) I did not see any Nikon D700 or D800 class. Forget about Nikon D single digit. I can easily say that 95% of the tourists took pictures with their cell phones."

I was not surprised that he didn't see any Pentax cameras on his trip.

But I was surprised at his comment that 95% of the tourists' on the cruise shot cell phones. Has that been your experience?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-06-2017 at 08:02 PM.
10-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would not surprise me in the least.
10-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sounds about right, except for a few with cameras, all i see is people taking photos with their phones. Also some back and forth on how their phones do a great job, especially with how they blurr the backgrounds.

10-06-2017, 11:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Travel photos are one thing, holiday snapshots are another.

10-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those people with the phones are the ones being targeted by Fuji with the XE3 and its new touchscreen and no Dpad....just like a phn but with an EVF!
10-07-2017, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Has that been your experience?
My experience too. Most people actually are fairly basic sheep. Big corporations dictate their lives. Some people are different. The question is whether you don't mind being a sheep.
10-07-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One explanation might be that that there are huge numbers of pictures being taken that wouldn't previously have been taken -SLRs/DSLRs have never really been the appropriate tool for happy-snappers who just want a record of a place or event.

10-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't been on a cruise, but certainly for vacations I don't see many ILCs out there. I really think it has to do with simplicity of use. People say all the time to me "Oh, you have a nice camera," which means by implication that there cell phone isn't one. But it's just too much bother to buy and learn to use a separate camera and so they stick with their cell phones.
10-07-2017, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The statement should not be surprising. Most people are not photographers (in the meaning that would apply to most members here), but they do like to have a record of where they have been. For that purpose, the best camera is the one they have with them most of the time - the one in their mobile phone - so why would they want to carry another one?

Philip
10-07-2017, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most people can't discriminate between a good, a fair and a downright bad classical music performance.
If they had to start learning an instrument, let's say a violin, they would probably buy a bottom-of-the-line Chinese-made factory item from eBay.

That second thing is quite ok, because they aren't professional musicians.
But the first is disturbing, at least to me, and the photographical analogy is fake, computer generated blur being "the same" as true shallow DoF (just one out of many possible examples).
10-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would depend a little bit on the type of cruise, not? If it was a whale watching cruise or an Alaskan cruise, then I would imagine there would be more people with separate cameras. A normal Carribean cruise is going to be about selfies and food shots and stuff like that and there, a cell phone is probably more than adequate.
10-07-2017, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

For a cruise last year I lent my father the GX-10 version of the K10D, plus 18-55mm, with everything set to fully auto. He came back with some shots that turned out fine after a bit of editing, so this year I offered him the same set-up again for another cruise next month, but he turned me down. Turns out that on the last cruise he was latched onto by an enthusiastic Canikon who spent the whole two weeks telling him he was using the wrong camera.
10-07-2017, 03:40 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
For a cruise last year I lent my father the GX-10 version of the K10D, plus 18-55mm, with everything set to fully auto. He came back with some shots that turned out fine after a bit of editing, so this year I offered him the same set-up again for another cruise next month, but he turned me down. Turns out that on the last cruise he was latched onto by an enthusiastic Canikon who spent the whole two weeks telling him he was using the wrong camera.
You can get your revenge when you pick your dad's nursing home, Dave!
10-07-2017, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
A good choice being turned down only because of some opinionated baboon insistence?
We should all care more about what other people think of us: this way we will all end up doing what's best for... them?
10-07-2017, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

You're a very good photographer, Fenwoodian, I'd be disappointed if you did shots that looked simply like the 95 percent could snap with their phone.