Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
cell phone = Instamatic
Although you can probably print a lot larger with a cell phone.

10-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
10 weeks travelling round Asia last year I would say,easily,95% of the photos I saw taken by other people were with phones (and a vast majority were selfies!!)
10-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Although you can probably print a lot larger with a cell phone.
agree - but thinking it's taken the place of that ubiquitous recorder of birthday parties, picnics in the park, visit to so and so's house etc.

And now, don't have to drop it off at the Photohut/drugstore/local shop to get those prints, in as little as an hour, when it was a booming business.

And for most folks, it did everything they wanted it to do, and so does the cell, but now perceived as even better - snap, tap, send - off to a friend.
10-07-2017, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My experience too. Most people actually are fairly basic sheep. Big corporations dictate their lives. Some people are different. The question is whether you don't mind being a sheep.
One could say that the sheep are the ones buying big SLR cameras because they’ve been told they have to have them to take decent pictures. When point and shoot cameras got good enough for most people in the 1980s, they left SLR cameras in droves, and they never looked back. When digital came along, they changed out their film point and shoots for digital point and shoots. When cell phone camera got good enough to take over for their digital point and shoots, they abandoned cameras entirely.
Most images are now viewed on a phone or tablet, and are pretty low resolution. A 12mp camera allows for lots of cropping, the very basic image editing built into them is sufficient for most people.
We sit behind our computers waxing on about how enthusiastic we are about our cameras and photography, and totally ignore the fact that as a percentage of the population we are insignificant.
We are also the sheep. We buy new cameras when we are told to by our corporate masters, we get onto Internet forums and buy accessories as dictated by the advice of others. Meanwhile most people ignore all of this tripe that rules our lives, and quite happily snap pictures that are more meaningfull to them than the most carefully crafted picture of a bug on a flower that our local “experts” shoot will ever be to anyone, and they are the ones who ignore all the hype.
When you point fingers at people and label them, just remember, there are three fingers pointing back at you, all ready to apply the same labels to your forehead.

10-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IN a way it's nice, for those who never wanted more than cell phone snapshots, a phone is a wonderful thing. It's great they don't have to carry a lot of gear yp get the images they do. But, it helps DSLR images stand out from the crowd. The more people use cell phones, the more reason for hiring a pro to do important stuff.
The question is, if everything looks the same to them, will the hire a pro or settle for uncle Dummy's cellphone pictures?
It's the same with music... very few people can appreciate a good performance nowadays, and most everything is the same to them. So why call the xy orchestra to the festival, when the z orchestra will do just fine, and accept peanuts as payment?
10-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #36

No surprise. 5-10 years ago probably 95% were shot with Point-and-shoot. 20 years ago P&S film cameras including Polaroids and disposables. 30 years ago Kodak Instamatic Disc, 110 and 35mm P&S. Now they can share their pictures and videos on Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat that can be ignored instead of boring their friends and family with slide shows.
10-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The question is, if everything looks the same to them,
But does it? If you see everything looks the same and then you see something a bit different....that's the proposition.

When DSLRs were full swing, everyone had an uncle who had one and the value of photography went down. Fewer DSLRs means their images will stand out more.

10-07-2017, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Meanwhile most people ignore all of this tripe that rules our lives, and quite happily snap pictures that are more meaningfull to them than the most carefully crafted picture of a bug on a flower that our local “experts” shoot will ever be to anyone, and they are the ones who ignore all the hype.
Yep. This.

For a lot of DSLR users, taking a picture is about the technical practice of operating the camera and lens, applying the correct settings, properly editing, etc. It's super fun and rewarding - I do it almost every day.

But happy snappy cell phone shooters are probably the ones with the purest inspiration to record the memory of the experience, and I think it's immensely precious to be able to share the memory instantly via wireless-connected devices.

No hate here - I like it all! But, personally, I prefer shooting with my "big" camera. :-)
10-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #39
Veteran Member

But does it? If you see everything looks the same and then you see something a bit different....that's the proposition.

When DSLRs were full swing, everyone had an uncle who had one and the value of photography went down. Fewer DSLRs means their images will stand out more.
To see, or better, to watch is not necessarily to notice.
We live in an image-saturated world, "minute" differences could easily be discarded as noise by the untrained eye.
10-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
[snip]

For a lot of DSLR users, taking a picture is about the technical practice of operating the camera and lens, applying the correct settings, properly editing, etc. It's super fun and rewarding - I do it almost every day.

[snip]
yes, the process, and for many the process is very rewarding - I am part of that group too. I also think it's part of the allure of film that still attracts many of us.
10-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #41

Maybe if cameras offered the connectedness of mobile phones, people would use them. Iphones etc are an intelligent choice if you want to instantly share your photos and holiday experiences with friends or family via social media. Our beloved Pentax dslrs just don't offer this. Sometimes I wish it was an available option.
10-07-2017, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Maybe if cameras offered the connectedness of mobile phones, people would use them. Iphones etc are an intelligent choice if you want to instantly share your photos and holiday experiences with friends or family via social media. Our beloved Pentax dslrs just don't offer this. Sometimes I wish it was an available option.
Don't they?? My K-1 and K-S2 are both wifi capable.

I went to a baseball game with my husband and we spotted his mom and dad across the park. I took a zoomed-in picture of them with my K-1, sent it to my cell phone and texted it to the in-laws within a few minutes.

Yeah, it's a couple more steps, but it's there if you utilize it!
10-07-2017, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
For a cruise last year I lent my father the GX-10 version of the K10D, plus 18-55mm, with everything set to fully auto. He came back with some shots that turned out fine after a bit of editing, so this year I offered him the same set-up again for another cruise next month, but he turned me down. Turns out that on the last cruise he was latched onto by an enthusiastic Canikon who spent the whole two weeks telling him he was using the wrong camera.
For the most part, people just buy a camera and take snaps. The portrait artists, the wedding pros, etc. consider their equipment but this is a small group. Everyone else just buys something and expects it to work great.

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
One explanation might be that that there are huge numbers of pictures being taken that wouldn't previously have been taken -SLRs/DSLRs have never really been the appropriate tool for happy-snappers who just want a record of a place or event.
For a brief while, this did happen. Probably 2005 - 2007? No phones worth a cent on cellphones yet and the point and shoot cameras were pretty low quality (and bridge cameras weren't a thing), so if you wanted decent photo with any color or sharpness at all, you had to get a DSLR. Canon and Nikon got spoiled on that success and figured their sales would go up forever...and then they crashed. Those base models probably barely make much profit these days and exist solely to get people to buy into a system.
10-07-2017, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

99.9% of all photos are taken on cell phones -- so in this case, 95% is pretty good!
10-07-2017, 11:06 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Forum Member

I must say that if it weren't for the smart phone, I'd never have gotten into photography and bought a Pentax. Film for me was too punishing. I started taking pics on the phone around 2013 and posting them on Instagram, and from there it took off. Phones expose a lot of people to the craft.