Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 01:39 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Cell phones are a little tougher. They don't have a tripod mount
Samsung S4 Zoom does,also does 24-240mm with a 1/2.3" sensor.Only a dual core phn but as a hybrid it does quite nicely.Provides a back up in many situations that i'm in.

---------- Post added 10-10-17 at 07:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I drive Volvo...four tenths of one percent of the US market
my wife drives Toyota...a much bigger market share
Shes smart!

---------- Post added 10-10-17 at 07:51 AM ----------

I shoot primarily pentax
she "shoots" with a Samsung galaxy
Both are good

---------- Post added 10-10-17 at 08:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
The phone is not meant to be used to take hundreds of photos
Took a scenic drive,I was the navigator and shot my phone in continuous(4fps)....2 hours yielded 1200 shots....the motion produced some out of focus but overall the images were OK.

10-09-2017, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #92

I might weigh in on this as I recently came back from touristy stuff myself (went to the US for four months-awesome stuff!!) Anyway, I found myself wishing I had a better phone to use, as it's easy to get a quick snap of a cool landscape or whatever, and then post up to whatever social media you are using. So I'm getting a new iPhone. In many cases, my friends' phone snaps were better than my own TG4 pics! Still keeping it though. I should add that I'm currently using a really cheap android phone....

Last edited by bessa-66; 10-09-2017 at 03:08 PM.
10-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #93
Pentaxian

If laziness was measured by DXO mark, the most crappy mobile phone would explode the scores of the most expensive Phase One model, Sony A9 and D850 altogether. Yet, the phone wouldn't necessarily make it in the top page of DPReview, shocking? why? Well, DPReview not only needs a camera that have something noticeable to brag about, they also need to have the camera (phone) maker to pay them enough relative money for them to pay DPR staff. Eventually, if both ILC makers and phone makers are willing to pay DPR, they accept all the money and create two section to double the money. That's business.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-09-2017 at 04:10 PM.
10-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #94
Veteran Member

My son & I recently returned from 15 days hiking/camping/picture taking in Utah & AZ. Visited 5 National parks & 6 state parks, hiked 148 miles (per his fit bit) and took almost 1,800 pics (I'm sure at least 50-60% will be deleted). I shoot a K20D and the only other Pentax I saw on the entire trip was my son's K30. We did see a gazillion selfies taken (hate those stupid selfie sticks). Lot of Asians and Europeans on the strip.

10-10-2017, 02:53 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Samsung S4 Zoom does,also does 24-240mm with a 1/2.3" sensor.Only a dual core phn but as a hybrid it does quite nicely.Provides a back up in many situations that i'm in.

---------- Post added 10-10-17 at 07:50 AM ----------

Shes smart!

---------- Post added 10-10-17 at 07:51 AM ----------

Both are good

---------- Post added 10-10-17 at 08:10 AM ----------

Took a scenic drive,I was the navigator and shot my phone in continuous(4fps)....2 hours yielded 1200 shots....the motion produced some out of focus but overall the images were OK.
I own an iphone 7 which is decent. Certainly takes care of any needs I have from a cell phone camera.

If I might ask, why would you shoot 1200 shots of anything? Just the thought of trying to delete images I didn't want (which in my case would be 90 percent of them) would be distressing. A lot of times when I'm using an SLR I look through the viewfinder and never even turn the camera on because I can tell I'm not going to like the end resulting image. Anyway, that's about twice the number of photos I come back with from a week's vacation with my family and I thought I was a happy snapper...
10-10-2017, 04:30 AM   #96
Pentaxian

why would you shoot 1200 shots of anything?
It wasnt anything,it was everything!....hills mountains rivers buildings people vehicles roads bridges animals,whatever i saw.IT was first time (only time) ive been along that road.

We broke the journey up at a picturesque lookout,it was there that a bridge camera and dslr were used....Reminds me i need to go back and use the K-1,it wasnt rekeased when i did that trip.
10-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just recently I visited Vienna. Bought a ticket for the Spanish Riding School. Took my K-1 along together with the 60-250 (I optised it for FF) to take some shots. When I got there there were sings everywhere with "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" and the red crossed out camera symbol. When I entered I was reminded of this as well.

Inside I refrained from taking picture, not even clandestinely. Then as soon as the show started out came smart phone everywhere. A great number even with flashes going. There was no reaction by the officials or ushers. So I thought, what the heck and took some shots, everybody else is doing it.

After some two or three pictures one of the officials came racing up to me and shouted in no uncertain language to stop taking pictures.

I turned to him and said (in German, it is good enough to defend myself) why ? everybody in the crowd is doing it. In fact the guy next to me was working his mobile phone while I was talking. (Handy as they call them in Europe)

Guess what the official said:
"Ja aber die nehmen doch keine Photos" ("Yes but they don't take photos")

10-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

Guess what the official said:
"Ja aber die nehmen doch keine Photos" ("Yes but they don't take photos")
Oh dear. What a world we live in. Did you give up, or try to argue the point?
10-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #99
Veteran Member

I'm curious how that ended up as well. A couple years ago I was stopped from entering a stadium for Disney on Ice because my K-3 on a sling looked too professional. The next year I stuck it in the diaper bag and had my wife bring it through security with no problems. I guess they figured she would be too busy tending to the little tyke to take any good pictures.

I hate when people are flashing away with their cell phones distracting everybody, yet they complain a DSLR is the problem. Even if we do use flash, it's much shorter than most phones that keep it on for seconds at a time while they focus. (I try not to use flash if I don't have to though.) Once I had an aunt berate me when my flash ruined her pictures because her camera phone's shutter speed was really slow. Never mind that her phone would keep the flash on for 5-6 seconds at a time and ruin everybody else's pictures. It's particularly frustrating when everybody is trying to take the same picture at once and all the phone flashes are shining away.
10-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I'm curious how that ended up as well. A couple years ago I was stopped from entering a stadium for Disney on Ice because my K-3 on a sling looked too professional. The next year I stuck it in the diaper bag and had my wife bring it through security with no problems. I guess they figured she would be too busy tending to the little tyke to take any good pictures.

[snip]

Going back to touring in the late 70's/early 80's with first my K1000 and then an ME Super, I quickly came to the conclusion that if they thought they were loosing post card/photo sales from their gift shop, they were more likely to tell you to stop.

10-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My son started marketing his athletic equipment business by posting game photos on social media (70D + 24-70 & 70-200). At first he was the only shooter on the sidelines. Now, many many people are shooting games with phones. The HS players, though, reject their parents’ and school shots and actively seek out and license (for free) his images for their college recruiting DVD’s*

* The coaches schedule games they want him or his staff togs to shoot. Coaches and players are amazingly loyal to UltimateLacrosse - the point being, quality images matter.
10-10-2017, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Did you give up, or try to argue the point?
Yeh Mark, I gave up. Were I am now in my live I have learned you cannot argue or reason with ignorant, hardened-in-their-view or very religious people. They do not understand the meaning of the word logic.

A couple years ago I was stopped from entering a stadium for Disney on Ice because my K-3 on a sling looked too professional
I have come across this many times only to find out later the people in charge of the gates make up the rules on the run. Give them a uniform and a badge and they will act like the Gestapo. Not all but some of them anyway.

I hate when people are flashing away with their cell phones distracting everybody
Remember the days of the compact point and shoots before mobile phones started to take over ? Remember the days of sold out events at stadiums (for the overeducated "stadia") at night or bright sunny days when in the stands flashes went off a million times in a futile attempt to shoot the action miles away ? They did not know there was a way to turn off the flash. They did not understand: A) the flash on these cams was too week to be any good and B) the flash came at a cost by wasting battery juice.

These were or are now the same sort of people who, these days, would never purchase a DSLR. If it was too difficult for them to master a simple point and shoot then it will be next to impossible for them to work a modern DSLR now.

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Going back to touring in the late 70's/early 80's with first my K1000 and then an ME Super, I quickly came to the conclusion that if they thought they were loosing post card/photo sales from their gift shop, they were more likely to tell you to stop.
This was precisely my thinking then. But now this will not be the case anymore. With Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Co. the postcard industry has been decimated. All the more a reason why the officials at the Spanish riding school should have a dim view of all the mobile phone clickers if they want to protect postcard sales.
10-11-2017, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

I own an iphone 7 which is decent. Certainly takes care of any needs I have from a cell phone camera.

If I might ask, why would you shoot 1200 shots of anything? Just the thought of trying to delete images I didn't want (which in my case would be 90 percent of them) would be distressing. A lot of times when I'm using an SLR I look through the viewfinder and never even turn the camera on because I can tell I'm not going to like the end resulting image. Anyway, that's about twice the number of photos I come back with from a week's vacation with my family and I thought I was a happy snapper...
1200 isn't much...I've done that in a day, especially catching wildlife while moving
from a stand I tend to be considered
10-11-2017, 04:37 AM   #104
Pentaxian

With Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Co. the postcard industry has been decimated. All the more a reason why the officials at the Spanish riding school should have a dim view of all the mobile phone clickers if they want to protect postcard sales.
In the UK, the National Trust (custodians of stately homes etc) banned cameras at one time for the stated reason that the pictures could be used as reconnaissance for later burglary - identifying stuff to steal and also the alarm arrangements. You could buy postcards of the stuff to steal in their shop anyway.

Perhaps the Spanish Riding School thought you might come back and steal a horse.
10-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[snip]

This was precisely my thinking then. But now this will not be the case anymore. With Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Co. the postcard industry has been decimated. All the more a reason why the officials at the Spanish riding school should have a dim view of all the mobile phone clickers if they want to protect postcard sales.

Agree completely!

---------- Post added 10-11-17 at 07:45 AM ----------

1200 isn't much...I've done that in a day, especially catching wildlife while moving
from a stand I tend to be considered
Yep, I could easily shoot 1200 shots in an afternoon birding. One of the things I love about digital is I don't have to pay per picture. The biggest problem is just sorting out what to print etc. If I were touring someplace, I'd be click happy. Figure it would be perhaps my only chance. And when I'm in the mood, I feel like even a simple walk with the dog results in a dozen or two shots. Photo opportunities abound when I'm in the right mindset to "see" them.

---------- Post added 10-11-17 at 07:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
In the UK, the National Trust (custodians of stately homes etc) banned cameras at one time for the stated reason that the pictures could be used as reconnaissance for later burglary - identifying stuff to steal and also the alarm arrangements. You could buy postcards of the stuff to steal in their shop anyway.

Perhaps the Spanish Riding School thought you might come back and steal a horse.

Years ago in Sterling Scotland while visiting the castle there, I got a good laugh with TP that had something to the effect of, "Property of the Queen" printed on each square. I may have the exact verbiage wrong, but it was close to that. So, would seem the UK National Trust has been on a roll for some time.

Regarding the Spanish Riding School, I think I read someplace on the Internet you could fold up horses and smuggle them out in a large hand bag.....