Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 66 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2017, 05:07 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
...But now this will not be the case anymore. With Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Co. the postcard industry has been decimated...
you would think that
however there are postcards everywhere I look and people are buying them

there is a young photographer who was engaged by a hobby farm north of here to do some marketing art
she told me her most dependable income derives from the sale of souvenir postcards
she had fedex print them and displays them on antique card racks in a half dozen locations

go figure

10-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
1200 isn't much...I've done that in a day, especially catching wildlife while moving
from a stand I tend to be considered
I can see it more with wildlife/birding, although I doubt you would do that sort of shooting with your cell phone. I'm not a birder, but I have tried a few times and since you can't pose them, it is sort of about getting them in the exact right pose with adequate sharpness. It's still a lot of images to wade through and most of them go in the trash bin.

Landscape sort of shots are different in that I do a lot of pre-visualization and even if I like a location, if I don't think the light is right, I won't shoot but will come back later on when it is better. The cost of digital is no longer money for film and processing, but it is time and I only have so much of that at this point in my life.
10-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I can see it more with wildlife/birding, although I doubt you would do that sort of shooting with your cell phone. I'm not a birder, but I have tried a few times and since you can't pose them, it is sort of about getting them in the exact right pose with adequate sharpness. It's still a lot of images to wade through and most of them go in the trash bin.

Landscape sort of shots are different in that I do a lot of pre-visualization and even if I like a location, if I don't think the light is right, I won't shoot but will come back later on when it is better. The cost of digital is no longer money for film and processing, but it is time and I only have so much of that at this point in my life.
as I mentioned earlier I almost never use a phone for photography...frankly it's a non-starter for me

especially while traveling I take my shots as they present themselves and depend on post to make them work

I have gone to extraordinary lengths to get a particular shot but much as in real life I can make images whatever I want...reality is so overrated
10-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
as I mentioned earlier I almost never use a phone for photography...frankly it's a non-starter for me

especially while traveling I take my shots as they present themselves and depend on post to make them work

I have gone to extraordinary lengths to get a particular shot but much as in real life I can make images whatever I want...reality is so overrated
I take a lot of photos of my kids, but I usually take a few photos and then try to get involved with whatever activity they are doing. I have an uncomfortable feeling that the people around me are spending more time documenting their lives than living them (not casting stones at you or anyone else in this thread).

10-11-2017, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #110
Veteran Member

I take a lot of photos of my kids, but I usually take a few photos and then try to get involved with whatever activity they are doing. I have an uncomfortable feeling that the people around me are spending more time documenting their lives than living them (not casting stones at you or anyone else in this thread).
that has gotten to be a thing, hasn't it

recording a life instead of living one
11-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #111
Forum Member

I haven't been on a cruise, but certainly for vacations I don't see many ILCs out there. I really think it has to do with simplicity of use. People say all the time to me "Oh, you have a nice camera," which means by implication that there cell phone isn't one. But it's just too much bother to buy and learn to use a separate camera and so they stick with their cell phones.
Most people I know do not own cameras. Back when I was growing up and into the eighties everyone had a camera. Even if it was a simple instant camera. My parents had 110 and 35 mm cameras as far back as I can remember. Those days are gone. If all a person wants is snap shots, they are using their phones now instead of the cheaply priced cameras that they once bought. I don't even think the drug store throw away cameras are doing that well anymore. Do they still even make them?
11-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesDCrockett Quote
I don't even think the drug store throw away cameras are doing that well anymore. Do they still even make them?
I've seen them occasionally at Weddings with guests being encouraged to make an impromptu record of the glorious day,though there are tales of some wag invariably sticking the camera down their trousers and shooting where the sun don't shine,leaving the happy couple red faced when they collect the prints

11-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #113
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesDCrockett Quote
Most people I know do not own cameras. Back when I was growing up and into the eighties everyone had a camera. Even if it was a simple instant camera. My parents had 110 and 35 mm cameras as far back as I can remember. Those days are gone. If all a person wants is snap shots, they are using their phones now instead of the cheaply priced cameras that they once bought. I don't even think the drug store throw away cameras are doing that well anymore. Do they still even make them?
The then 110s are essentially today's smartphone cameras. The quality coming out of smartphone cameras today is not bad for sharing on social media... especially in well lit scenes.

I think it is actually a positive thing in that people are more likely to experience the trip first hand than the back of a camera. But even if they are spending it behind a phone, it is no different than people in the 80s spending it behind a 110 or disposable 35mm. I'm not alarmed at the topic claim.. unless you expected people to show up with DSLRs, long lenses, and gitzo tripods for their vacation cruises.
11-12-2017, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

Hey, yesterday i saw a camera!...ha ha

At a rock concert,there were lotsa smart phones in operation but only saw one camera apart from the compact i took.

ALL recording devices were banned,so an announcer said.

Chrissie Hynd even stopped mid song to chastise someone with a phone taking a video.

Stevie Nicks is BORING!
11-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #115
Veteran Member

I work in tourism and live in Alaska. My wife and I also take cruises, and I wholeheartedly agree with the 95%+ cell phone figure. FWIW I've seen as many Leica's as I have Pentax's on tourist necks (1 of each) in the 5 years I've been up here. I see the occasional mirror less body, usually an a6000. Lots of base model dslr's from CaNikon, more point and shoots, and lots and lots of cell phones. The only thing I hate seeing are idiots using their tablets to take photos. It's obnoxious and rude in my opinion but that's a rant for another day...

I consider myself a photographer. I've studied and practiced this craft, this art, for almost 20 years; I have a degree in art and have managed to make it in to juried exhibitions, book the occasional gig, and sell a piece here and here. I understand and appreciate composition and light and the decisive moment. Yet my primarily cameras for travel are my old film rangefinders and my iPhone. I've consistently shot about a roll per day and use my phone for the fill in, family snaps, etc.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many people choose to drag several pounds of camera and lens with them on vacation. For the most part I do not travel with my DSLR unless I *know* I'm going somewhere with the express intent of shooting. For example I just got back from New Mexico with my wife and daughter and for once I brought my kit with me because I knew I was taking newborn photos for my sister in law, taking family photos for a gathering, and going to the ABQ balloon fiesta. I used my DSLR a total of five times in 20 days and took around 1500 photos that got whittled down to about 30 for the newborn shoot, 50 other misc family shots, and about 30 from the fiesta. Of those keepers I probably only needed the DSLR for about 20% of the shots, maybe 5-10% if I exclude the Ultra-wide shots from the Balloons, and overall I have only a small handful of shots that I want to print (family stuff excluded). The juice isn't worth the squeeze for me when I'm on vacation, so I choose to let those 5 of 1500 shots go and use my cell phone. And my film cameras because of course I can't really let them go, can I?

My basic question when gearing up to go out: is this personal or is this work? If personal I'm far more likely to leave the big gun at home or in the hotel and just bring the phone and film.

YMMV

Last edited by skierd; 11-12-2017 at 12:39 AM.
11-12-2017, 02:02 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
The only thing I hate seeing are idiots using their tablets to take photos. It's obnoxious and rude in my opinion but that's a rant for another day...
I always felt the same way until I heard the perspective of an older uncle with elderly eyes. He travels a lot and loads his point and shoot images into his tablet, and his tablets camera was just as good for many shots so he uses that instead to skip the transfer step. The large display is much easier for him to see and adjust settings than his little compact p&s. He'll still use the point and shoot for landscapes and when he needs flash, but he doesn't need ultra high resolution for a family group shot.

I will agree that I'm often irritated with people using tablets as cameras in public though, especially when they hold them up in everyone else's way so it shows up in your pictures too. I'm just a little more understanding when it's someone who's a bit advanced in years.

Other pet peeves are when people don't know how to work their own camera, hold their camera up high in the way of everyone behind them, and phone or tablet flashes that stay on for multiple seconds while they take a picture (especially when it reflects back or ruins my low light exposure).

One other annoyance I find a lot is when I'm taking a shot and someone with a camera phone steps right in front of me or has their phone in my frame. I tend to stand farther back and zoom in to compose the scene so I don't block other people, but that backfires for me. I understand the digital zoom on cell phones isn't the best so that's why people move on closer, but with so many people taking photos everyone tends to get in each other's way nowadays.
11-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I've seen them occasionally at Weddings with guests being encouraged to make an impromptu record of the glorious day,though there are tales of some wag invariably sticking the camera down their trousers and shooting where the sun don't shine,leaving the happy couple red faced when they collect the prints
I do believe they've seen the movie Amici Miei Atto II... the "Souvenirs from Italy" scene
11-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #118
Pentaxian

Has anyone else noticed the number of adverts of pre-owned film cameras for sale, where the kit includes a 'telephone lens' ? Is this autocorrupt playing its part, genuine ignorance (can you actually have false ignorance ?), or has someone invented a way to incorporate an Android (or, indeed, any other) operating system in a pre-digital body ?
11-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just thinking about the title, I don't think one photographer (or any one person) has actually seen 95% of travel photographers.
11-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #120
Pentaxian

They use the same method that is used by Law Enforcement officers at a Rave - count the number of attendees within easy hitting distance, then extrapolate using the entire cubic capacity of the building.