10-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Great read! About Camera Hype..

The Camera Hype

Enjoy!

10-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A "Ken Rockwell advice gone wrong" story...at one point he thought he could rule the world with a D40 and 18-200 VR...
10-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Pentax/Ricoh sure as heck aren't leaking much of anything.
10-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A "Ken Rockwell advice gone wrong" story...at one point he thought he could rule the world with a D40 and 18-200 VR...
Not really. Ken hates zooms.

10-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
Great read! About Camera Hype..
Sigh. The only "hype" is about the piece itself, which I have to say, is boring and predictable. So manufacturers and marketers boost their products?!?! Who knew?

In response to a comment, the author wrote this:

"Stephen, many are clueless about how things work on the Internet, especially when it comes to camera announcements. I decided to write this article after talking several people out of upgrading to the D850 (they surely did not need it). The hype is very strong and it pushes consumers to make wrong choices."

The author thinks he knows what other people need. He thinks other people "make wrong choices". He is described thus:

Nasim Mansurov is the author and founder of Photography Life. While he spent the majority of his adult life pursuing technology, he discovered photography as his true passion after the birth of his first child. Not happy with pictures from a point and shoot camera, Nasim decided to purchase a Nikon DSLR to preserve memories of his family and that’s what started his journey into the world of digital photography. Today, Nasim is recognized as one of the leading educators in photography, conducting workshops, producing educational videos and frequently writing content for Photography Life.

"Photography Life" is where this piece was published. It is not "vanity press" but close to it. I have been doing photography for a long time and have never heard of him or this site, which is odd since he is apparently "recognized as one of the leading educators in photography, conducting workshops, producing educational videos and frequently writing content for Photography Life". Especially since he is "frequently writing content for Photography Life", the site he founded.
10-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, he's pretty on mark about social influencers, which I dislike a bit..
One thing is to read a good unbiased review, and another is to read something like "this is the only camera youll need"..
I been reading that line from ads from computer shopper and Modern Photography since as far I can recall..
10-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

I been reading that line from ads from computer shopper and Modern Photography since as far I can recall.
Exactly. It is nothing new; either in photography or anywhere else.

Okay, why do I buy Pentax? The very first 35 mm camera I bought was Pentax because it could go from full auto to full manual, and could be manual speed (auto aperture) or manual aperture (auto speed). Of the three lenses I bought with that camera, over 30 years ago, I can use all* with my K-1. Every Pentax (or compatible Sigma) lens I bought, I can put on my K-1. Or on any of my other Pentax cameras.

But I buy other brands. My favourite "walk around" camera is a Sony. My "tough conditions"* camera is a Ricoh.

* Alas, one of the three has succumbed to mould and it is not worth getting it fixed.

** I live in the tropics; we have a wet season; and in the wet season, monstrous storms can blow up in minutes. My recent Pentax cameras are weather sealed but they would not survive.

10-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What are you using for the tropics?
10-07-2017, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Not really. Ken hates zooms.
Nope - he loved that combo.
"It's a miracle! I bought mine in November 2005 and love it. It's replaced an entire bag of lenses. All I bring anywhere is my 18-200mm, and maybe my 12-24mm for 99% of everything I shoot. "
10-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

What are you using for the tropics?
Pentax! Always Pentax! I keep all my gear in tubs with desiccant, for the wet season humidity. Now I've got the K-1, I doubt I will buy another body for a long time. I've got too many lenses to list but they are all Pentax or Sigma. My best photos* were with a Pentax 18 - 135 or a Sigma 5- 500. (I write "were" because I have only recently got the K-1 and have not shot with it much. I have waterproof camera bags which have an extra pull over rain shield**. Incidentally, I bought my first Pentax in Panama, in the duty free zone (I don't know if they still have that). Last year I bought the Ricoh WG-4, which is waterproof, for when it is really wet. The quality of the images is not first rate, but if I'm in a rain storm, it doesn't really matter: everything is going to be grey and fuzzy.

* My best photos as judged by others, not me, in photography competitions.

** I got caught in a full on tropical, torrential, downpour once -- visibility reduced to less than 1 m and rain coming down harder than in a shower full on -- and I was worried about my camera but the LowenPro bag did not let a drop in.
10-07-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm. I do believe Ricoh practices viral marketing. The strongest indication something is soon coming is the complete absence of talk.

IIRC K-1 was sold out - very, very oversold - on release day. I got mine from Dealer stock as a walk-in without a pre-order, but that was sheer luck. There were only a few here who said they bought a K-1 in a store.
10-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #12

Nope - he loved that combo.
"It's a miracle! I bought mine in November 2005 and love it. It's replaced an entire bag of lenses. All I bring anywhere is my 18-200mm, and maybe my 12-24mm for 99% of everything I shoot. "
You're right! I never saw that article because I don't use a professional camera system.

That's pretty funny. However, it is consistent with a lot of Ken's other certainties of photography, as I think about it. I do trust that Ken isn't bought like this author is suggesting. I think he really likes that lens. What you have to do (in Ken's case, anyway) is decide if you share his opinions or not.

---------- Post added 10-07-17 at 11:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hmmm. I do believe Ricoh practices viral marketing. The strongest indication something is soon coming is the complete absence of talk.

IIRC K-1 was sold out - very, very oversold - on release day. I got mine from Dealer stock as a walk-in without a pre-order, but that was sheer luck. There were only a few here who said they bought a K-1 in a store.
I think everyone practices viral marketing. Is that wrong? Or unexpected?

I'm not willing to believe that the pre-order sales of the first "full-frame" digital camera that Pentax has ever made (after years of cries from almost everyone but me) are so strong because (or, in this case, if) Pentax paid someone to endorse it. I doubt they had to -- this was something a lot of people claimed they wanted for a really, really long time.

If only Pentax would have left off the video mode and included a real shutter speed dial and aperture ring on the body. Then Pentax photographers could be professionals!
10-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
You're right! I never saw that article because I don't use a professional camera system.

That's pretty funny. However, it is consistent with a lot of Ken's other certainties of photography, as I think about it.
He also could not figure out why people bothered to "fiddle" with raw files.
10-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #14

He also could not figure out why people bothered to "fiddle" with raw files.
Doesn't like "pixel peepers," often advocates using S- or M-sized .jpg files, always telling me what "professionals" do or what "professional" equipment is like (that's how I know mine isn't), etc.

But he still has some good advice from time to time, and at least he's honest about his opinions (even if he does value them highly). He provides food for thought.
10-08-2017, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a good article in that he backs up what he says with data, even if the data aren't as strong as the received wisdom - what they don't show. of course, is people like me who are die-hard Pentaxians but interested in what other companies are doing - so I will read reviews with zero intention of buying - I think we account for more traffic than is generally credited - when the K-1 came out I read a few trusted reviews to make sure there weren't issues that I hadn't been aware of, then bought - a very different process.

Last edited by ffking; 10-08-2017 at 11:53 PM.