Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
That's pretty funny. However, it is consistent with a lot of Ken's other certainties of photography, as I think about it. I do trust that Ken isn't bought like this author is suggesting. I think he really likes that lens. What you have to do (in Ken's case, anyway) is decide if you share his opinions or not.
I don't know if Ken is bought by a particular person, but he is subject to the same pressure for click-throughs as anyone else would be. The bottom of each page has a plea to use the links to help support his family.

And here he even says that he calls many things "the best" -- which is something that was discussed in the original article.

The World's Best

"
Some people think I call everything the world's best, but pay close attention to the marketing weasel words I use to qualify each, and you'll discover that I use these weasel words to let each product be the best at something very specific.

Being the world's best camera is completely different from being the world's best DSLR, because there are many kinds of cameras other then DSLRs.

Here are some examples of how this logic works, as well as the current list, explaining the use of weasel words to restrict the class to a smaller number of things in italics:
"

10-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting article but I think there is a big difference between one article that hyped a legion of 18-200mm converts (mistake) vs. a media-wide hype of what is actually Nikon's current best FF DSLR. A lot of pros shooting the nearly 2 year old 21MP D5 may consider the new 46MP D850 as they retail for half the price of a D5.

Ken Rockwell's Kool Aid stand is only as popular as anyone who wants to buy what one guy is selling. The masses want a guru to give them all the answers so they don't have to question and research and find their own truths. Rockwell fills that lazy thinking. I would argue that Consumer Reports, dpreview.com, are an improvement as a collaborative reference, but even they have their bias and followers that blindly trust their evaluations.

---------- Post added 10-08-17 at 05:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I don't know if Ken is bought by a particular person, but he is subject to the same pressure for click-throughs as anyone else would be. The bottom of each page has a plea to use the links to help support his family.

And here he even says that he calls many things "the best" -- which is something that was discussed in the original article.
"
My main problem with Rockwell is that he uses the term "best". It should be his "favorite".

Even in a case where the Nikon F6 could objectively be the most advanced 35mm SLR, it isn't the most reliable, the most compact, the best value, the quietest, or uses the highest rated optics. I think we are most offended that KR has the nerve to make these huge statements as if it were the truth from the most knowledgable source in the world.

Bottom line: "best" is better click-bait.
10-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You know who are the most dangerous? Those that dont "say" what's the best, but constantly underrate cameras that are not from a given brand, it's like a hidden agenda..Some big youtubers come in mind; some scream, some chuckle mad, some come in pairs, etc..

---------- Post added 10-08-17 at 04:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hmmm. I do believe Ricoh practices viral marketing. The strongest indication something is soon coming is the complete absence of talk.

IIRC K-1 was sold out - very, very oversold - on release day. I got mine from Dealer stock as a walk-in without a pre-order, but that was sheer luck. There were only a few here who said they bought a K-1 in a store.
Sure they are pretty much viral, almost to the point of nausea, with the Theta. 95% of their twit and instagrams are all about it, hardly any mention of the K1, except the rare landscape pic from an ambassador. Not even the great 645 gets enough love anymore from Ricoh..
10-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
Sure they are pretty much viral, almost to the point of nausea, with the Theta. 95% of their twit and instagrams are all about it, hardly any mention of the K1, except the rare landscape pic from an ambassador. Not even the great 645 gets enough love anymore from Ricoh..
They’re thinking GoPro. There were Theta shots at the political conventions. It’s a $300 consumer product - pocket change in a world of $1,000 iPhones. The problem is how to think globally when capturing and how to display the shots.

10-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #20

. . . Sure they are pretty much viral, almost to the point of nausea, with the Theta. 95% of their twit and instagrams are all about it, hardly any mention of the K1, except the rare landscape pic from an ambassador. Not even the great 645 gets enough love anymore from Ricoh..
Give Ricoh some credit. I think they are choosing the appropriate marketing vehicle for the most likely audience. I hope (for their sake) that they sell truckloads of Thetas. Because of not only price, but also complexity and skill requirements, the market for the K-1 is going to be much smaller and more selective (and less subject to "viral marketing") and the 645Z even more so. Do you really think someone is going to buy into a $15,000 camera system (assuming you're going to buy more than one lens) because of a picture on Instagram?

I think Ricoh gives those cameras lots of love. Both were (are) very hard to get for months after their introduction -- what more do you want? And Ricoh is investing in Pentax, especially lenses. I believe lenses sell cameras. Lenses are why I decided to purchase Pentax as my first "real camera" in 2008 as opposed to Nikon or Canon. Ricoh even has a new APS-C lens on their roadmap, which excites me -- I was worried that they would stop developing new lenses for their APS-C cameras because they "can work with" full-frame lenses. (Having said that, I really wouldn't mind a "minor reworking" [if such a thing is possible] of the rest of their line-up to replace all SDM's with DC's & move smc coatings to HD. And if I can complete my wish-list, I want them to put the straight aperture blades BACK into the HD 15 & 21.)
10-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
My main problem with Rockwell is that he uses the term "best". It should be his "favorite".
And he uses "then" incorrectly. It's "than".
10-08-2017, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And he uses "then" incorrectly. It's "than".
You would rather he use than than then? Then how do you use than?

10-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
You would rather he use than than then? Then how do you use than?
In other ways then that.
10-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, viral works very well for Canon and Nikon, why it shouldnt work for Pentax? Whats the holdup?
I think if they sell truckloads of Thetas, that works against Pentax, you are seeing 2 camera divisions slugging off for capital and resources..
Given 1 unit of R & D, and Theta being sucessful, where do you think the next unit will be allocated?
10-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #25

. . . I think if they sell truckloads of Thetas, that works against Pentax, you are seeing 2 camera divisions slugging off for capital and resources..
Given 1 unit of R & D, and Theta being sucessful, where do you think the next unit will be allocated?
I think they will continue to develop Thetas as long as they're successful, and that's great! This won't take resources away from other successful camera lines. The Theta's success will not, I believe, take away from the 645 digital, FF, or APS-C lines as long as they are successful in their own right. The profit-per-sale has the potential to be much higher on the higher ticket items. Ultimately how much money will they be able to get for a Theta vs. a 645Z? Also, there's a certain amount of prestige involved for Ricoh/Pentax in making the higher-ticket cameras.

Don't forget that one of the appeals of the Theta is that it is associated with a "real" camera company (which impresses many who know no better). Cross-pollination is also possible, with ideas and technologies moving either way. This can only help both lines.