Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Balsam Separation, Fungus or A Sneeze ?

;HAPPY THANKSGIVING CANADA Answer to follow shortly!

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-25-2017 at 08:03 AM.
10-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The little blobs are all round, so it is (or was) a liquid of some sort. Of your options, an incredibly juicy sneeze sounds the most likely.
10-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I assume the picture is a close up of a round lens taken with another 300mm lens I also though sneeze at first because it looks like droplets and not any fungus I have ever seen. The coverage and dispersion seems more like condensation or mist than what I would imagine from a sneeze though, so I'm going to go with lens separation caused by a long ago exposure to moisture of some sort. (Perhaps an old sneeze or ten?) There's also what appears to be haze or fungus on the other surface of that lens, which leads me to believe it is old and that probably is separation.

How long till you tell us who's right?

---------- Post added 10-09-17 at 05:46 PM ----------

Please also fill us in if you know what caused it! I've heard of some cleaning solutions being bad for lens coatings, but I don't know too much about that.
10-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
;HAPPY THANKSGIVING CANADA Answer to follow shortly!
Its Thanksgiving in Canada Today and a big part of Tradition is Closing up the Cottage before Winter Sets In.
It was None of the above. Although some of it looked like Balsam separation on another current thread.
It is DEW on the window this morning; our last at the cottage for this season. It is a glorious day with fall colours & designs you only see once in a while all over the place and photo opportunities every where.
I am Thankful this day for a Fine Pentax , a Good Eye, a Finger that works, enough Mobility to compose, enough Brain Cells left to compile it and a Wife & Friend of 54 Years to help with all this "necessary" gear we manage to accumulate.

P.S. My Grand Babies have left a very similar pattern on my spectacles from time to time during cold season.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-25-2017 at 08:03 AM.
10-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
It was None of the above. Although some of it looked like Balsam separation on another current thread.
It is DEW on the window this morning; our last at the cottage for this season.
That's not fair! If you listed 'none of the above' as an option I would have totally said condensation on a window!
I sure hope you don't make exam questions for a living!!! You would be the most disliked teacher at the end of the year!
10-10-2017, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
That's not fair! If you listed 'none of the above' as an option I would have totally said condensation on a window!
Damn I wanted the prize but its yours by default (5 days in Afaganistani 4 Nights Somewhere else and a free Map of Interesting Photo Opps )
Funny you should mention it! I was a Part Time Professor for 7 years but was extremely popular because I could be Bribed for marks , copies of tests etc etc .
Most of my Students are very successful working in Federal Government.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-20-2017 at 04:24 PM.