Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

PPG: Dry? Inactive? or Dead?

When I was starting photography, I was advised to look for outputs uploaded in there so I can study "great outputs" I spent a lot of time looking, studying, and even following the artist behind them on various photo sites. With the help of PPG, I was able to improve my skills and muster enough courage to submit entries and got accepted. But now PPG looks like dry and stagnant, those images that I love to spend time looking are no longer there, I now even see multiple entries. Submissions are scarce and most interestingly, I think some of my "visual mentors" and their photos are no longer in the PPG, their ouputs can no longer be found on the website. This makes the site less credible for good photos I have known for and used to love.

What can we hope for Pentax and PPG the very least?

10-18-2017, 03:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The gallery is maintained by Ricoh Americas. I think they have lost interest. Maybe PF should start it's own moderated gallery. Not on the forum but on a dedicated site. E.g. the monthly contest winners could be shown there.
Winners' Showcase - PentaxForums.com
10-18-2017, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I stopped posting to PPG quite awhile ago. It felt like Pentax had sort of given up on it. It used to be curated -- not only did you have to get a certain number of votes to get in, but someone from Pentax had to look at your image and think it was worth including. I don't think that happens any more and a lot more photos are passed through.

I still think it could be a great sales piece for Pentax, but it is hard to know how they could do it going forward. It feels like there are a lot more mediocre photos that have gotten in and I always thought the whole point was to showcase the best.
10-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still have photos approved in PPG as does boriscleto and a few others. But it takes from four to five months now to get a photo approved.

If you check under PYP forum, the sticky for PPG is in there and it shows who has had photos approved lately. It's not entirely dead, just dead slow for photos to get approved..

10-18-2017, 04:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I still think it could be a great sales piece for Pentax, but it is hard to know how they could do it going forward. It feels like there are a lot more mediocre photos that have gotten in and I always thought the whole point was to showcase the best.
This is exactly my observation. Mediocre submissions are getting approval as if the site is being trashed or something. Pentax is not doing good either in this department.
10-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And right into the ignore list.
10-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
This is exactly my observation. Mediocre submissions are getting approval as if the site is being trashed or something. Pentax is not doing good either in this department.
I just think it is being neglected. If I were them, I would start over. Maybe keep the premiere gallery but reboot the rest of it. Have links to instagram and Facebook. Curate it better. It is fine if there is only a ten percent approval rate or even lower, just so that the images that do get through are top of the line (better than good, each one should stand out).

I suppose it would be an awfully big project to start it over again and might make some people upset along the way.
10-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a little effort it could be a nice marketing item that would continue to net results. People see great photos and want to buy the same equipment that the photographer used. I think they are missing out on their greatest asset, the photographer!

10-18-2017, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
People see great photos and want to buy the same equipment that the photographer used.
It's the same thing with electric guitars, stock cars and cooking utensils.
10-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hate to say this, given all the inspiration and adrenaline I used to draw from that site, from marvelling at other photographers' work and participating myself, but by now that thing is as dead as the dodo.

Rarely go there anymore because it's simply painful to watch it in its utterly neglected state. What used to be an example of how much Pentax cared about their users' actual photography, and also represented a brilliant advertising effort, has degraded into a mummified, sorry version of its former self.

Seriously, if you want to motivate people to buy Pentax gear, you just cannot leave them with the impression that what they're currently seeing on the site is the best that the brand can offer to them. And by saying that I don't mean to disparage any of the truly outstanding work that can still be found in the gallery if you dig a little.

I don't know if it's lack of will or of resources on Ricoh Imaging Americas' part (my hunch would be the latter), but I would either relaunch the gallery from scratch, with proper curating and cutting-edge web design and display quality, or, cruel as it may sound, commit it to the ash heap of history. The current limbo is rather counterproductive, IMHO.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-19-2017 at 09:43 PM.
10-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Lack. Of. Vision.