Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2017, 12:43 AM   #1

To stick with Pentax or not

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice / suggestions. Just as I was about to look into getting a good tele lens my K-50 has met it's end due to the well documented aperture block issue. The £200 to fix it seams ridiculous given the cameras worth and the fact it could happen again even after the fix. I've had to bring my K-r out of retirement but the images I'm getting just don't compare to those from the K-50 and the whole saga has left me feeling rather annoyed with Pentax. This raises the following questions:

Do I stick with Pentax or move to another brand?
If I stick with Pentax which camera do I go for?

Additional info related to aid in question answering. I'm not wed to pentax as I don't have much in the way of quality lenses, I use the K-50's18-55mm kit lens and the 100mm f2.8 macro day to day. I have the FA 75-300mm to cover the tele range but very rarely use it as the quality is poor and an M 50mm f1.7 which gets almost zero use. I like wildlife photography (mainly birds) and was looking to get something far superior to the 75-300 so I could indulge this more. I am price constrained so if I stayed pentax it would be between the ~£600 K-70 (if I know it doesn't have the same aperture block issue) or the ~£800 K-3 ii. The KP is too expensive unless it gets a decent price drop.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated as I keep flip flopping and can't decide.

10-18-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you tell me what good tele you were after, I will give you my opinion. This will give me a good idea of the money you have to spend and what the alternatives are.
10-18-2017, 01:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You won't get better value for money with any other brand. They all have the occasional failures.
Generally speaking, if you want top image quality and reliability, be prepared to pay for it.
10-18-2017, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-70 is a steal IMO, given that it delivers the best image quality in the current APS-C lineup, essentially tied with the KP. Thus, the K-70 would be my recommendation per your post above.

However, there's quite a big difference in build quality between the two models. If you pay more, you get a camera that's likely going to last for a longer time. It's a balancing act between investment and reward

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2017, 01:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That 100mm macro is wonderful. If you change brands it is going to cost a pretty penny to get something like it. As a consolotion you should get good money for it when selling. Apart from that there seems to be little that holds you back

If you do stick with Pentax, Sigma makes made some good value for money tele zooms. Look out for a used 120-400mm or 150-500mm.

Regarding camera bodies, the K-70 looks like a good deal compared to the KP. The latter has super high ISO capabilities, a later processor and more advanced metering. Oh yes, 7fps versus 6fps as well. For nearly double the price? Nah.

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
10-18-2017, 01:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
If you tell me what good tele you were after, I will give you my opinion. This will give me a good idea of the money you have to spend and what the alternatives are.
I was just about to start looking at tele lenses so no decision made. Aware that doesn't help but it is the honest answer. I guess a rough budget would of been about £800.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You won't get better value for money with any other brand. They all have the occasional failures.
Generally speaking, if you want top image quality and reliability, be prepared to pay for it.
Aware a failure could of occurred with another brand but it does frustrate you. I chose the K-50 for the enhanced weatherproofing and durability compared to its rivals when i brought it (it had pretty much just been released), plus the aperture block issue does also seem to be an inherit fault with the camera which Pentax won't acknowledge which doesn't help with the brands feel good factor.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-70 is a steal IMO, given that it delivers the best image quality in the current APS-C lineup, essentially tied with the KP. Thus, the K-70 would be my recommendation per your post above.
If i stick with Pentax the K-70 is where i was leaning as image quality is meant to be similar, provided I can be sure its not using the same aperture block as the K-30/K-50 and the build quality is good.

I was happy with the K-50 and had no plans for an upgrade and had forgotten how much of a quality gap there was between the K-r and the K-50 so hadn't really looked at the in-depth details of the current Pentax lineup and the similarly priced competition. Starting to do this now but I'm asking the question so i know where to focus my investigation.
10-18-2017, 02:00 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hawaza Quote
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice / suggestions. Just as I was about to look into getting a good tele lens my K-50 has met it's end due to the well documented aperture block issue. The £200 to fix it seams ridiculous given the cameras worth and the fact it could happen again even after the fix. .
You can repair it yourself with an $10 capacitor or whatever it was, if you have the skills.

10-18-2017, 02:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Why not a K-3II? Available for £799 in the UK. Pentax K-3 II Camera Body Best UK Price - Compare Prices Here - UK Stock.

I upgraded from a K-100D Super to the K-5II a few years ago. There's a big jump in durability when you get to an APS-C flagship model. I'd take a K-3II over a KP because the K-3II has a larger buffer, top LCD, longer battery life and the top is also magnesium alloy. The KP has improved stabilization, better high ISO performance and a newer CPU. All around the K-3II is more value per £ being cheaper than the KP.
10-18-2017, 02:17 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
That 100mm macro is wonderful
Completely agree, when i got the lens it was a revelation and still love using it, its my favourite ever lens, even if it does now seem to be hampered by the K-r its attached to.

Sigma makes made some good value for money tele zooms. Look out for a used 120-400mm or 150-500mm
If i stick with Pentax i'll definitely look more into those lenses.

Regarding camera bodies, the K-70 looks like a good deal compared to the KP
The K-70 does seem like a good deal compared to the KP, and the K-3ii, i just wondered whether I'm missing some important pieces of information which really differentiate them to justify their additional price tag. Appears in the case of the KP that I may not be.

---------- Post added 10-18-17 at 10:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can repair it yourself with an $10 capacitor or whatever it was, if you have the skills.
Unfortunately i do not have the skills Computers are fine but cameras and phones i've had far less success in the past. for example the last tech fix i did was to change my smart-phone screen but it was never quite the same afterwards. Don't think i could live with that with the SLR. The price for the fix in the UK does seem consistent as i contacted a few places and they were all around that mark.

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Why not a K-3II? Available for £799 in the UK.
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
All around the K-3II is more value per £ being cheaper than the KP.
I am considering the K-3ii and if i stay pentax i imagine it will be a K-70 or a K-3ii, since as you and multiple others have already mentioned the KP just doesn't appear to be worth the extra cash. Are there any stand out points which make the K-3ii worth the extra cash over the K-70?
10-18-2017, 02:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The K-3 (ii) and KP have better AF and build quality than the K-70. The K3 (ii) also offers a top lcd. But the K-3 (ii) is a generation behind in IQ compared to the K-70 and KP. Not that it still isn't very good. Between the K-3 and K-3 II. The K-3 II offers pixelshift resolution mode and GPS and star tracking, but lacks an on board flash. Also WiFi is only possible with an additional flu-card on both camera's.
A good tele option would be the https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f45-63-ed-plm-wr-re.html It is compact and relatively light but it has excellent IQ and fast AF.

Last edited by D1N0; 10-18-2017 at 02:38 AM.
10-18-2017, 03:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do I stick with Pentax or move to another brand?
If I stick with Pentax which camera do I go for?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated as I keep flip flopping and can't decide.
For the most part, switching brands is an emotional decision based on hopes and fears, but certainly not an economic or wise choice unless you're unsatisfied with DSLRs or any of your current lenses. I see hundreds of Canon, Nikon, and Pentax cameras each year and they all have some faults.

In terms of a purely practical, value based decision, repairing the K-50 is the most economical. You'd have to repair it four times at £200 each before spending £800. But emotionally this feels crazy. But again, if you were prepared to buy a new K-70, by repairing the K-50, how much would you now have leftover in that budget for a new lens?

The K-70, is the reasonable compromise solution between emotions (fear of K-50 aperture block problem recurring + confidence of improved durability) and intellect (switching systems usually involves losing money on selling your old gear + a Canon or Nikon equivalent to the K-50 or K-70 would cost hundreds more.)
10-18-2017, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I've shot with Canon and Nikon in the consumer range. They felt like junk compared to my K30. The way I bash my
camera around they'd be cracked in a week. I also need WR. Some people are fine in Canon or Nikon land. Not for me.

The aperture repair is easier than a phone screen and if you mess up, pay to have it fixed.
10-18-2017, 03:56 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is the side by side comparison between the K 3 II, the K 3 and the K 70

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I have a K 3 and K 5 II

I also have the GPS add on, it works with the K 3 and K 5 II

Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I use GPS function rarely and the on board flash much more often

You could look for a good " experienced " K 3 and save money for a lens ( or if you really need the GPS function, the O-GPS 1 and a lens )

only you can decide your priorities and your needs

We, of course, will offer our opinions.

Hi guys, . . . . I use the K-50's18-55mm kit lens and the 100mm f2.8 macro day to day. I have the FA 75-300mm to cover the tele range but very rarely use it as the quality is poor and an M 50mm f1.7 which gets almost zero use. I like wildlife photography (mainly birds) and was looking to get something far superior to the 75-300 so I could indulge this more. . . .

what camera body is better suited, in your opinion for wild life photography?

I have used both the K 5 II and K 3 for that purpose and I am satisfied with them. Of course, any Pentax K lenses will work with them ( in some fashion ) I too have the D FA 100mm 2.8 macro and I like it a lot

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-18-2017 at 04:08 AM.
10-18-2017, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
You could look for a good " experienced " K 3 and save money for a lens
I think there's a lot of merit to this idea.

An excellent condition, pre-owned camera with relatively low shutter count is, IMHO, almost better than new... it's cheaper, has already been proof tested and will have nearly as much life left in it (especially with high end models like the K-3 & K-3II).

Since PentaxForums is clearly aimed towards Pentax enthusiasts, most of us here are likely to recommend you stick with the brand. Pentax cameras and lenses, for the most part, represent very good value for money. I don't believe they're any less reliable than the other brands, all of which have suffered some notable problems and/or design issues in recent history.

If the available lens choice suits your requirements, I'd say stick with what you already know. The grass is no greener elsewhere. That said, I don't think you'd be disappointed (nor, necessarily, any happier) with Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc.
10-18-2017, 04:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'd say find the lens you want and then get a body for it whatever the brand is.