Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help Bruce Spend His Money Wisely...

Hey peeps,

It's Friday night, I'm at a slight crossroads and just wanted to spew forth the dribble that is coming out of my brain in the hopes that some wisdom and clarity can come forth from the members here.

I'm trying to decide on my next purchasing steps forward. I'm gaining momentum and really feel that thee major hurdle holding me back from taking on larger project roles (such as Weddings) is not having a backup camera body (or a body I deem semi capable to replace should the unthinkable happen on the day).

My main current equipment runs as;

Pentax K-1
FA 50mm
DFA 100mm Macro
Pentax AF 540 FGZ II Flashgun

I then have two tripods and some older wider K mount lenses such as the Pentax 24mm which I do occasional landscape stuff (tho I really feel its suboptimal and not wide enough).

I've really decided I need a second camera body. I absolutely cannot take on work of such importance as a wedding to have the K-1 decide on the day to malfunction. Not only would I feel unbelievably bad from letting down the wedding party but also my reputation in a small close-knit community would be severely damaged. But I also wonder... how many other professional photographers operate like this? Do they all have a second camera body or do they just 'wing it'?

A second camera could also assist in recording video, thus allowing me to continue shooting pictures as well at the same time record. A second camera may also allow me to recruit a second shooter to events (should they not have a camera of their own), so I feel it has many advantages.

From my equipment list above I am missing a decent wide landscape style lens. I also find that the K-1 when mounted with the L Bracket does gain some weight and bulk, it's really a far nicer experience to shoot without it on... so here's my thinking;

- Buy a Pentax KP, or K-70 (ensure it has Pixelshift capability)
- Buy a landscape lens for it, such as the PENTAX HD DA 15mm F4 LIMITED (fwiw the thread size is perfect and fits my current ND filter range).

By mounting the L Plate on a lighter KP or K-70 I make this the 'tripod lens' and can shoot 'people specific' with the K-1 only (therefore taking full advantage of the lovely full frame DoF the K-1 gives. My feeling is that FF is not as important when shooting wide and using lower apertures... thoughts?

I would also have more User Modes available on the K-1 to customise if not having to consider landscape (as currently 2/5 are set for landscape use).

I see many professionals use two cameras at once, this seems to be the thing to do, drop one camera and start shooting with another, and I think that's the direction I'm heading in.

So, what's peoples thoughts on this idea?

If the K-1 temporarily died, I take it the ASP-C KP/K-70 can still use the FA50mm? It's just not going to give 50mm..? I mean... you need to be concerned only with Full Frame cameras using ASP-C type lenses right? Not the other way round, it's just going to give a different 'throw'... yeh?

Of course I still need lots of other 'stuff' (quieter 'church' lens, 200mm etc or indeed get better at manual focus shooting!), but I cannot help feel that the missing camera body is halting my progression from actually generating income from this 'hobby'.

FWIW DCEXPERT are having a sale currently, the KP and HD DA 15mm F4 are going pretty decent price with 20% off...

Cheers for listening,

Bruce

10-20-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Every camera used professionally SHOULD have dual card slots to ensure, if, a card fails then theres duplicate files.If i was in you situation id buy the discounted K-1.OR,K-3ii

As far as video goes,4K is the standard.To futureproof your work,its essential.
10-20-2017, 04:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DCExpert has incredible deals on the K-1 right now. I just got my second one.
That and a Sigma Art 35/1.4 and you're set.
10-20-2017, 05:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

how many other professional photographers operate like this? Do they all have a second camera body or do they just 'wing it'?
Having a backup is the single most frequently offered advice for wedding photographers.

I see many professionals use two cameras at once, this seems to be the thing to do, drop one camera and start shooting with another, and I think that's the direction I'm heading in.

So, what's peoples thoughts on this idea?

Not having to change lenses is a good thing in fast-paced scenarios. some companies (Think Tank, Optech) offer dual-cameras straps and harnesses to help with this.

I take it the ASP-C KP/K-70 can still use the FA50mm?
Of course.

It's just not going to give 50mm..?
It will give you a narrower field of view, like that of a 75mm on FF. Otherwise it's the same lens. APS-C is simply cropping, nothing else.

10-20-2017, 05:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Every camera used professionally SHOULD have dual card slots to ensure, if, a card fails then theres duplicate files.If i was in you situation id buy the discounted K-1.OR,K-3ii

As far as video goes,4K is the standard.To futureproof your work,its essential.
Ok. So is card failure really a likely thing (I mean in typical normal temperature scenarios). I don't even use my dual slots that way, I heard/read that it takes longer to finish the shot when writing to two cards instead of one at a time.
I would have thought a far more likely scenario is a camera body malfunction of some description before a card decides to lose all the shots taken on that day (though that is a scary thought indeed!).

4K, yes it's a pity Pentax isn't onboard with this yet. I'm with Pentax because I am also somebody on a budget, in fact I bet I'm probably one of the lowest earners here on the Pentax forum with a K-1! (I'm a cleaner). The K-1 is the cheapest FF in the market currently, and one of its drawback is the lack of 4K. However, having said that, this 60fps and 4K stuff doesn't overly appeal to me that much, I far rather like my movies at 1080p and 25-30fps, 60fps is for sport and nature stuff, I'm not sure getting the best man's speech 4K is that important, I would think capturing the moment with 'expensive glass' is more important. If not tripoding I would invest in mechanisms for smooth panning when recording (giros etc) and prioritise that over 4K.

There's not a lot I can do about it, I'm with Pentax for the foreseeable future, I won't be a photographer commanding very steep prices for jobs for many years to come, where I might eventually have to leave Pentax if they don't keep up with the competition in other regards. For now I have to accept 4K isn't gonna happen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I did think about a second K-1, but for me Sandy every $ counts. I could get a KP (which is lighter) AND a PENTAX HD DA 15mm F4 LIMITED for still less than a second K-1 (from DCExpert)...

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Having a backup is the single most frequently offered advice for wedding photographers.

Not having to change lenses is a good thing in fast-paced scenarios. some companies (Think Tank, Optech) offer dual-cameras straps and harnesses to help with this.

Of course.

It will give you a narrower field of view, like that of a 75mm on FF. Otherwise it's the same lens. APS-C is simply cropping, nothing else.
Thanks, and yes Optech are good, I have a couple of their dual lens caps, very handy.
Honestly, I just wonder about other photographers sometimes and if they are lacking in common sense or just greedy and not thinking long term, or in fact are actually carrying a backup...
10-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
AU$2350 for a K-1? That's less than I paid for mine second-hand...

Double bonus: With two identical bodies there's no fumbling with different button layout when switching between the two.
10-20-2017, 05:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
AU$2350 for a K-1? That's less than I paid for mine second-hand...

Double bonus: With two identical bodies there's no fumbling with different button layout when switching between the two.
It's actually $1879 or something (20% off). It's a steal alright, but then the KP is also down to $1100ish...

---------- Post added 10-20-17 at 11:34 PM ----------

So let's talk about camera bodies then. I've done a little comparing with the Pentax Camera Comparison section, but I'm not sure it's detailed everything...

Ok, so lets say the intention I have is that the second body;

a) acts as a backup in case the unthinkable happens and the K-1 is temporarily out of commission.
b) acts as a primary wide lens landscape lens (even if the K-1 is fine and healthy)
c) for jobs where landscapes are not a concern can be a second portrait shooter at a different focal length

The contenders are a KP, K-70 and K3II. What are the main differences between the 3 do you see from a landscape perspective? The K3II has dual card slots, something that surfar pointed out, that's definitely an advantage. Are all 3 WR? Do all 3 do Astrotracing built in like the K-1? Do all 3 do Pixelshifting etc?

Last edited by BruceBanner; 10-20-2017 at 05:36 AM.
10-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That new K-1 is £1120 new. Stop talking about it and buy one, you will regret it later if you don't. If they came in at that price here I'd have one in a moment. Never seen such a price before, I'm starting to drool over black Friday now.😁
10-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's actually $1879 or something (20% off). It's a steal alright, but then the KP is also down to $1100ish...

---------- Post added 10-20-17 at 11:34 PM ----------

So let's talk about camera bodies then. I've done a little comparing with the Pentax Camera Comparison section, but I'm not sure it's detailed everything...

Ok, so lets say the intention I have is that the second body;

a) acts as a backup in case the unthinkable happens and the K-1 is temporarily out of commission.
b) acts as a primary wide lens landscape lens (even if the K-1 is fine and healthy)
c) for jobs where landscapes are not a concern can be a second portrait shooter at a different focal length

The contenders are a KP, K-70 and K3II. What are the main differences between the 3 do you see from a landscape perspective? The K3II has dual card slots, something that surfar pointed out, that's definitely an advantage. Are all 3 WR? Do all 3 do Astrotracing built in like the K-1? Do all 3 do Pixelshifting etc?
I own the K-3 II. The answer to your questions are as follows. They are all 24 MP and have Pixel Shift. The KP and K-70 are better in low light (Just how important is this to you). The K-3 II is the only one with built-in GPS (AstroTracer) and dual SD slots. Personally if you can't afford another K-1 it seems like you need the K-3 II.
10-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Your planning seems sound.

For weddings, a 2nd body reduces pauses to swap lenses and also gives a backup in case one camera dies. I don't think the single card slot is a big concern. Photograph the most important parts of a wedding with both cameras so you're covered for card failure, a camera getting stolen, camera malfunction frying both cards, etc.

For landscapes, the DA 15 can be used with your K-1 or your 2nd body. Keep the K-1 in full frame mode and crop later; the edges will vignette to black, but you'll still get a wider field than you can get with an APS-C sensor. Note that the DA 15 has great contrast and flare resistance but is only moderately sharp.
10-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

1 if possible find a company that rents cameras and decide whether that might be a better option to start with

2 consider a K 3 as opposed to a K 3 II might be a better option - I would think a flash being more important than gps for a wedding

Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Just some thoughts from a non expert
10-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

major hurdle holding me back from taking on larger project roles (such as Weddings) is not having a backup camera body (or a body I deem semi capable to replace should the unthinkable happen on the day).

My main current equipment runs as;
Pentax K-1
FA 50mm
DFA 100mm Macro
Pentax AF 540 FGZ II Flashgun

I've really decided I need a second camera body. But I also wonder... how many other professional photographers operate like this? Do they all have a second camera body or do they just 'wing it'?
A second camera could also assist in recording video so here's my thinking;

- Buy a landscape lens for it, such as the PENTAX HD DA 15mm F4 LIMITED (fwiw the thread size is perfect and fits my current ND filter range).
Bruce
Bruce,
I think your plan is a sound one. My only added advice would be to get a second flash unit. From my experience at weddings, the flash is the weakest link; the most likely bit of equipment to fail.

If you didnʻt want to spend the $$$ for a second Pentax AF 540FGZII, you could get little brother Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash unless power is an absolute necessity. Other options include:
a) Metz mecablitz 44 AF-2 (half price of 540FGZII, faster recycle, almost same power, but no weather-sealing)
b) Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1 (3/4 price of 540FGZII, faster recycle, same power, but no weather-sealing)
c) Metz mecablitz 64 AF-1 (same price as 540FGZII, faster recycle, more power, more zoom range, but no weather sealing)

BTW: As your wedding photography grows, you may find using master and slave flashes helpful and the Metz units will work wireless with Pentax.
10-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it boils down to how many weddings you plan to do. If you see yourself doing 20+ weddings a year an identical backup with dual card slots seem wise. That would mean another K-1.

You may need a normal fast zoom as well if you are shooting one camera, or two cameras with different fast primes (but personally that seems like a lot of weight hanging around oneself all day on a shoot, or maybe I need to work out more )

A K-3ii would give you the flexibility of a smaller lighter option for weddings with dual card slots, either as a primary, backup or secondary shooter situation. It also addresses your landscape needs and has better AF than the K-70.
The KP has the third control wheel like the K-1, best AF and ISO performance of the crop options and the tilty screen for landcapes. The lack of dual cards though would be a deal breaker for me for paid wedding work.
10-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

do they just 'wing it'?
Ok. So is card failure really a likely thing (I mean in typical normal temperature scenarios). I don't even use my dual slots that way, I heard/read that it takes longer to finish the shot when writing to two cards instead of one at a time.
I would have thought a far more likely scenario is a camera body malfunction of some description before a card decides to lose all the shots taken on that day (though that is a scary thought indeed!).
[quote=DeadJohn;4115848]I don't think the single card slot is a big concern.

Show me the person who has driven their vehicle all their life with no spare AND never had a flat?

---------- Post added 10-21-17 at 06:56 AM ----------

---------- Post added 10-21-17 at 06:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Photograph the most important parts of a wedding with both cameras
Ofcourse, one in each hand.

Last edited by surfar; 10-20-2017 at 12:58 PM.
10-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I own the K-3 II. The answer to your questions are as follows. They are all 24 MP and have Pixel Shift. The KP and K-70 are better in low light (Just how important is this to you). The K-3 II is the only one with built-in GPS (AstroTracer) and dual SD slots. Personally if you can't afford another K-1 it seems like you need the K-3 II.
Yeh, that comparison chart showed me that they are all 24mp, it's just understanding all the other stuff that the comparison chart may not highlight (such as the better low light performance of the K-70/KP vs the K3II. And I couldn't see 'Pixelshift' mentioned anywhere in the chart).

I wonder... is there a nice visual time flow chart somewhere showing what model of camera Pentax released and when? I kinda missed all of this as I bought the budget K-50 first and then launched straight up to the K-1, missing out everything in between.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
1 if possible find a company that rents cameras and decide whether that might be a better option to start with

2 consider a K 3 as opposed to a K 3 II might be a better option - I would think a flash being more important than gps for a wedding

Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Just some thoughts from a non expert
There are a few companies that rent over here, but it's typically 6 month minimum commitment :/
And then there's a good chance on the day they aren't open if something goes wrong with your main camera body, but I hear what you mean, as in trial one for a week, then try another etc, sadly that kinda service doesn't exist here in oz.

So the K3 has built in flash but the K3II doesn't? Whilst you're absolutely right about flash being more important that Astrotracer, my intention was to have the second body as setup/configured for landscape work, period. The idea being trying to move away from the K-1 doing that kinda work so that I can custom the user modes more to my liking (5 user modes for portrait work on the K-1, 3 user modes for landscape work on the other body).

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Bruce,
I think your plan is a sound one. My only added advice would be to get a second flash unit. From my experience at weddings, the flash is the weakest link; the most likely bit of equipment to fail.

If you didnʻt want to spend the $$$ for a second Pentax AF 540FGZII, you could get little brother Pentax AF360FGZ II Flash unless power is an absolute necessity. Other options include:
a) Metz mecablitz 44 AF-2 (half price of 540FGZII, faster recycle, almost same power, but no weather-sealing)
b) Metz mecablitz 52 AF-1 (3/4 price of 540FGZII, faster recycle, same power, but no weather-sealing)
c) Metz mecablitz 64 AF-1 (same price as 540FGZII, faster recycle, more power, more zoom range, but no weather sealing)

BTW: As your wedding photography grows, you may find using master and slave flashes helpful and the Metz units will work wireless with Pentax.
Yes, I had already considered a second flash would become necessary, or at least useful, and Metz was the forerunner for consideration. Cheers for the advice and pointers.

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I think it boils down to how many weddings you plan to do. If you see yourself doing 20+ weddings a year an identical backup with dual card slots seem wise. That would mean another K-1.

You may need a normal fast zoom as well if you are shooting one camera, or two cameras with different fast primes (but personally that seems like a lot of weight hanging around oneself all day on a shoot, or maybe I need to work out more )

A K-3ii would give you the flexibility of a smaller lighter option for weddings with dual card slots, either as a primary, backup or secondary shooter situation. It also addresses your landscape needs and has better AF than the K-70.
The KP has the third control wheel like the K-1, best AF and ISO performance of the crop options and the tilty screen for landcapes. The lack of dual cards though would be a deal breaker for me for paid wedding work.
I think to begin with I would be ecstatically happy with 5 weddings a year, and then 10 the next, and so on so forth, so when finances allow I can revisit camera bodies once I am up and running and established well enough (the K-1 would likely become the backup in this scenario and a newer Pentax model the primary).

I'm aware I am missing a lens or two, I need a 'church' lens, a longer reach and quieter AF, so yeh, possibly the K-1 would have that anchored to me and the spare camera body a wider portrait (35-50mm prime).

Yes the tilt screen is a must if I am also wishing to set up the second camera body as a Landscape camera. Again though... dual card slots, is this a thing in the camera world, where one sd card just dies and loses all it's data?! Or the camera body suddenly decides to fail spectacularly and format the sd cards without consent?!

I've worked with computers for years, flash devices tend to have the lowest failure rate, mechanical mechanisms (HDD and Camera Bodies), the highest. I really thought the Pentax K-1 offered two slots for convenience, to stop you having to switch cards etc, and I don't even use mine currently to write the one RAW file to both cards (you can do that tho right? Like it's not just RAW to SD Card 1 and +JPG to SD Card 2? You can write the same RAW file to both SD Card 1 and 2 at the same time? Yeh?). I'm aware the K-1 offers the ability to copy content from one card to another, this I see as a useful feature, that is if writing the same RAW file as you're shooting significantly slows the shooting process down, it makes sense before leaving the event to make a copy of the sd card from one to another before leaving, but of course in this scenario I may use a laptop or some other device to copy content before driving off.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Show me the person who has driven their vehicle all their life with no spare AND never had a flat?
I refer you to my points above, I don't quite like the analogy of flat tyres and sd cards tho lol. But I do hear what you're saying and am taking the dual slot under serious consideration. I guess tho, if on the day my primary camera (k-1) with dual slots fails and I'm left shooting only with my spare camera body then I am already up sh!t creek! Perhaps I can factor dual slot into the purchasing decision, but if it's at the expense of tilt screen or some other feature I deem useful in my overall setup I will have to think long and hard.
I'm just not convinced sd cards 'fail', get wiped easily or any of the other stuff, I am however convinced a camera body on the day will just cease to work entirely!

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I cover events now with a pair of K3II's. Both bought used - one had 15K and the other a few hundred clicks. Used to be K5IIs bodies and before that K5's. Kept one of the K5IIs ( with 140K on the shutter) as a ready spare. Lenses have been consistent for years: DA12-24, DA 17-70, Tamron 28-75 and DA50-135 which gives me overlap and redundancy. After one fried itself and I found out about YN560III's, sold my other Pentax 540 and have a flash bag with 4 ( soon to 5) YN560III speedlites. Most headshots and portraits are done with the 50-135 and off camera speedlites and or monolights.
Good info, I really need to find a Pentax camera body timeline and start comparing some other Pentax bodies.