Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2017, 02:58 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Articles about AF System

I came across these when I was looking for PDAF articles. You can move the sliders and see it take effect.

Phase Detection AF
Autofocus: phase detection

Contrast AF
Autofocus: contrast detection

10-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing. It has been awhile since I have seen these and it is good to see they are still in place. Two thumbs up!

Steve
10-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CDAF design is more simple, given fast enough image sensor readout, on sensor AF can replace PDAF in many use cases. As some pixels of the image sensor can be dedicated to the AF function, speeding up the read, we may see more and more mirrorless cameras.
10-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
CDAF design is more simple, given fast enough image sensor readout, on sensor AF can replace PDAF in many use cases. As some pixels of the image sensor can be dedicated to the AF function, speeding up the read, we may see more and more mirrorless cameras.
One of the things I appreciate about CDAF is that it doesnt need lens adjustment like PDAF since it's right in the sensor plane. For most lenses I'm okay with PDAF since you set it up once, but for some zooms you need different adjustment at both ends and so far there's no way to do that automatically.

For most purposes I find PDAF faster and more accurate though (once adjusted). I'm looking forward to when resolution gets so high that they start adding more on sensor PDAF instead of extra pixels, and then you'll have the best of both worlds. Maybe in twenty years we'll have PDAF at every pixel! 🤣

10-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
.......on sensor AF can replace PDAF in many use cases......
This Nikon patent seems similar.
New Nikon multi-pixel PDAF sensor patent | Nikon Rumors

Ok. I started researching about AF systems because I am having focusing issues in video mode. I have attached Zacuto lupe to Lcd screen. Lupe helped me do manual exposure control but not focusing. I hope industry comes up with good AF solution for Video mode :-). I do not mind buying Mirror less camera just for the sake of Video. It does not have to have all the features of K1.