Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2017, 06:08 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-x. Not my favourite Pentax, but I only paid about 35USD for it. So far I am quite happy. The low light capabilities are a major step up from a K10D or K200D. That alone makes it worth the price.

To get around the focus point indication limitation, I set it to auto focus only on the centre of the frame in the menu. That way I know what the camera is doing.

10-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Assuming that there is nothing wrong with the camera or lens I'd go for it at that price, the kx is a capable little camera and those lenses cover just about any type of photography, plus if she takes to photography they can both be used on more up to date models.
10-27-2017, 07:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I grew up with the idea that 50 mm mimics the human eye's view

I have since learned that isn't exactly correct, it is closer to a 43 mm

so the image obtained by using a 28mm lens with a Pentax cropped camera is very, very close to what the human eye sees.
This is basically why I'm always harping on the lack of a decent (don't need to be amazing, decent is good for a start) prime from a 24mm to 29mm for crop people to have available to them. Life if the optics stack from the FA 28 f2.8 had been recycled into a DA 28 f2.8 instead of them using the FA 35's to create the Plastic Fantastic 35. Or a modern Pentax interpretation of the Sigma Super-Wide II AF. A decent, "fast enough" f2.8 prime with Pentax's attention to quality. The nice thing is that there are a number of 28mm options on the used market from many vendors, some of them quite interesting, like the Vivitar 28mm Series 1 f1.9 or Pentax's K 28 f2.0, etc.
10-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
This is basically why I'm always harping on the lack of a decent (don't need to be amazing, decent is good for a start) prime from a 24mm to 29mm for crop people to have available to them. Life if the optics stack from the FA 28 f2.8 had been recycled into a DA 28 f2.8 instead of them using the FA 35's to create the Plastic Fantastic 35. Or a modern Pentax interpretation of the Sigma Super-Wide II AF. A decent, "fast enough" f2.8 prime with Pentax's attention to quality. The nice thing is that there are a number of 28mm options on the used market from many vendors, some of them quite interesting, like the Vivitar 28mm Series 1 f1.9 or Pentax's K 28 f2.0, etc.
re:

the Vivitar 28 mm

"Vivitar 28mm wide angle lenses were made primarily by Kino Optical (Kiron), and Komine. There is a plethora of different versions see link below. These Kiron versions have serials 22xxxxx, the Komines have 28xxxxx serial numbers. This review page is specifically for the Kiron made f2 versions (and see also Kiron 28mm f2 reviews here ). It is available in both PK and M42 mounts. . . . "

Read more at: Vivitar (Kiron - serial 22xxxxx) 28mm f2 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

" . . . I became particularly interested in the 28mm focal length, which used to be a great wide angle in the film era, and provides a comfortable "normal equivalent" on the APS-C size sensor of today's Pentax digital cameras. It is a bit of a mystery why Pentax have no current 28mm lens. Their FA 31mm Limited, while widely regarded as one of the best pieces of glass on the planet, measures closer to 32mm in formal tests, and so does not have the same outlook. Besides, it is very expensive. Many Pentax shooters believe that a normal lens should be available at commodity pricing.

So, back in Augst 2008 I started the thread Vivitar 28mm As FA 31mm Replacement? on Pentax Forums.

[ https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34654-vivi...placement.html ]

It soon became obvious that there were many different variants on the Vivitar 28mm, but little did I know that I would end up cataloguing over thirty of them! . . . "

http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html

so if you are interested, you might find a 28 mm by the original makers, in other words, not labelled " Vivitar "

10-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know, I've got a Kino Precision 28mm f2.0 on my shelf as well. My collection of 28's right now; an Albinar Macro which is not very good, a Kalt which is apparently quite rare and is decent, the Kino which is pretty good, and I just got a Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX which I've got another thread on. It's been great save for a day where it didn't seem to AF reliably at all, and I haven't been able to recreate since.

If the Sigma continues to be good to use, I'll be selling the Kino and the Albinar. The Kalt stays, mostly for sentimental reasons, and I have taken pictures I rather like with it.
10-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I know, I've got a Kino Precision 28mm f2.0 on my shelf as well. My collection of 28's right now; an Albinar Macro which is not very good, a Kalt which is apparently quite rare and is decent, the Kino which is pretty good, and I just got a Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX which I've got another thread on. It's been great save for a day where it didn't seem to AF reliably at all, and I haven't been able to recreate since.

If the Sigma continues to be good to use, I'll be selling the Kino and the Albinar. The Kalt stays, mostly for sentimental reasons, and I have taken pictures I rather like with it.
is your Kiron the K or P/KA mount ??
10-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K. Aperture ring operation only. I basically use it at f2.0 or f8.0 probably 90% of the time.

10-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If your daughter does get the K-x, tell her about the importance of only using good AA batteries with it - like rechargable Eneloops (with matching charger), or Energizer Lithium disposables.

About the DAL 55-300 and DAL 18-55, I have both and always found them to be good glass. And they both work particularly well with the K-x. My K-x/18-55 combo almost miraculously never took a dud shot.

A great prime to perhaps add to the list at some stage would be the DA 35 f2.4 AL. It's light and bright, very affordable and the field of view on APS-C is very usable.
10-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Assuming they are in good working order this is a pretty gosh darn good deal.
11-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've had no further news at to what was decided ... maybe that was just a "sudden moment" of buyer's "want". ?