Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 02:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

where to buy CLA-ed Jupiter lenses

Hi!

I'm in the market for a CLA-ed Jupiter-9 in M42 mount. Does anybody know a reliable (eBay) seller? A seller that checks his merchandise for mechanical and optical issues and replaces the old-fashioned Russian grease of the aperture blades. I am not a cheapskate, I'm looking for a reasonable priced Jupiter-9 in excellent working condition. The looks of the lens do not bother me as long as the mechanical and optical condition is excellent.

11-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I know a guy who fixes, builds, and modifies lenses and then sells them. I have never bought from him, but have considered doing so. I don't know if he sells on ebay, but he is very active on the Russian version of All manual lenses website. If you want, I can try to connect you guys. He also ships abroad, which doesn't happen very often with Russians (don't know why).
11-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I know a guy who fixes, builds, and modifies lenses and then sells them. I have never bought from him, but have considered doing so. I don't know if he sells on ebay, but he is very active on the Russian version of All manual lenses website. If you want, I can try to connect you guys. He also ships abroad, which doesn't happen very often with Russians (don't know why).
I would be interested too. Can you share his contact info with me too if that's OK?

Thanks!
11-09-2017, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #4

Jupiter 9 is a very good lens but why don't you buy a Jupiter 37A instead? Jupiter 37A is a "modified" version of Jupiter 9 and it is considered to be an overall better lens. It also has a rounded diaphragm (12 blades!) but it is a bit faster (f3.5 vs f4.0) and sharper. The images shot on a Jupiter 37A are just incredible! Surely, as most old Russian lenses (including the Jupiter 9), images shot on a 37A do have a little bit of initial blue cast. However, after a minor PP, the colors become very vibrant! Also, the images from the 37A do have a distinct "3D effect" and incredible clarity.
I have many * and Limited lenses but after a few days of using the 37A I was blown away by it! It's like a 135mm limited lens! It's very compact and built as a tank as well. Now I almost don't shoot with my FA*80-200 at all.
After a time I began to think that I want a similar lens but with a normal focusing length (I have a 43 Limited and *55 but they are different). The only alternative I found was a Zeiss Makro Planar 50/2 that costs much more However, I bought it as well )
By the way, if anyone is interested, I have a very rare version of 37A for sale (in almost LN condition). It is an "MC-H-30" and it is considered to be the best of all other versions. At a time they were sold, it cost 120 roubles, an "MC" version cost 100 roubles and an ordinary version of 37A (without MC) cost 55 roubles.
Look for yourself how sharp a 37A is - 37?_PixelShift.jpg / ?????? Mail.Ru (pay attention at a flower bud at the upper right corner and also at a flower trunk at the lower left corner).

11-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
... If you want, I can try to connect you guys. ...
Yes, please do

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 10:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
... Jupiter 37A is a "modified" version of Jupiter 9 and it is considered to be an overall better lens. It also has a rounded diaphragm (12 blades!) but it is a bit faster (f3.5 vs f4.0) and sharper. ...
Jupiter-9 is a 85mm F/2.0 lens, the 37A is a 135mm lens. Totally different.
11-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by MrclSchprs Quote
Yes, please do[COLOR="Silver"]
Jupiter-9 is a 85mm F/2.0 lens, the 37A is a 135mm lens. Totally different.
Oh, shame on me) I thought you were talking about the Jupiter 11 135/4. Yes, the Jupiter 9 is a different lens, no doubt.