Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone else finding this dull weather interfering with their photgraphy?

It's been a really bad year, and right now is worse. The weather man promises us sunshine, but it never comes.
I can't remember it being this bad other years. The rain and wet started in the spring and just never stopped. If I lived near a mall, I'd go an hang out there. Watching people buy cellphones at mall Kiosks would be more exciting than this.

I've taken 3 pictures I actually like even a little bit all week, and it's Friday. It's not like I haven't tried, at least 100 attempts. Low light, slow shutter speeds, motion blur, lot's of missed focus. Cameras pushed to the highest acceptable ISO. What's guy to do?

11-09-2017, 01:52 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I feel your pain,Norm.I tried taking up the guitar and discovered I'd two left hands!!
11-09-2017, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I feel your pain,Norm.I tried taking up the guitar and discovered I'd two left hands!!
There must be some way that could work for you....

There's something I could do in bad weather and long winter nights, relearn to play guitar.I might actually have to read a magazine or book or something, god forbid.

The weather is so bad, I'm all Netflixed out.
11-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There must be some way that could work for you....
Unfortunately not,they either both want to strum or hold down the chord.You really don't want to hear resultant din

11-09-2017, 02:03 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Unfortunately not,they either both want to strum or hold down the chord.You really don't want to hear resultant din
I'm so bored I might go for it.

Let's see, I defended the 18-135, I trashed Tony Northrup, I said hello to some newbies, this is where I process and post my images, but there are no images to process and post.

Maybe I'll un-ignore some of the Pentax is doomed types, and "talk" to them.

Last edited by normhead; 11-09-2017 at 02:53 PM.
11-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Well I have exactly the opposite problem, too much sunny weather this year, I can't say I'm tired of a pristine blue sky, but could use a bit of clouds, that and huge negative impact this is having specially in agriculture.
11-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Look for gloomy shots, all the photos that havent been processed this it the perfect time for it, or product photography? Ways to make “light” of the dull situation?

11-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a pair of light stands, cheap umbrellas and fluorescent 5000K bulbs. I might experiment with Indoor PixelShift. Maybe I’ll LensAlign my good lenses. I might actually cull my gear. There’s plenty to do.
11-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

This autumn was bad for the Hudson Valley of NY. Not too cloudy, but unseasonably warm weather (August temperatures during October) kept leaves green until they fell off the trees. The heat also generated a lot of haze. I did 3 hiking trips and didn't get good landscapes.

I've done some urbex to fill in the gaps. Trespassing doesn't care much about weather (except footprints in snow).

Tomorrow night we have our first freezing temps, and it might be a hard freeze, so there goes my last chance for good foliage.
11-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Dull weather and rain can produce very nice and interesting images too. I have some photos taken a few hours before Typhoon hit Tokyo last month. They are posted on my Instagram and it seem to catch a lot of people attention here and here. It was a lot of rain but the wind had not yet picking up. There are a lot more in hard drive. We got like 2 typhoons in two weeks, and I took full advance of that. I wish my prime lenses are WR lens.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 11-09-2017 at 05:03 PM.
11-09-2017, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's guy to do?
Not sure if these suggestions will interest you but here's some things you might consider:

• Find some post processing software you've not tried before and make use of their free trial period.
Tas
11-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's been a really bad year, and right now is worse. The weather man promises us sunshine, but it never comes.
I can't remember it being this bad other years. The rain and wet started in the spring and just never stopped. If I lived near a mall, I'd go an hang out there. Watching people buy cellphones at mall Kiosks would be more exciting than this.

I've taken 3 pictures I actually like even a little bit all week, and it's Friday. It's not like I haven't tried, at least 100 attempts. Low light, slow shutter speeds, motion blur, lot's of missed focus. Cameras pushed to the highest acceptable ISO. What's guy to do?
You've beaten me in terms of the number of shots taken over the past 2 weeks. ... that should tell you the sort of weather we've been having here.
One shot of a Hairy Woodpecker at the feeder at ISO 6400 and slow shutter speed ... disaster!
I quit !

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 08:24 PM ----------

Found out the guitars hadn't been used for quite a while ... out of tune ... and much too lazy to tune them !
11-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
why don't some macro shots like the evergreen wet spider webs , wet small bugs and so on? Here the weather is the opposite: too dry, it just rains once a month. Autumns here in flatlands is arrived this days but it's not like always...
11-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

We're having a blizzard here in Alaska. A couple inches today, expecting a foot by the end of the weekend. Contrarily, I love shooting in dull light. Great for landscapes and portraits.

Nothing wrong with taking a break from the camera (or computer, especially if you're ready to start feeding the trolls). Are there any galleries near you? Or not so near you? Bad weather is a good time to go get some inspiration and art-brain reset.
11-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I feel your pain, norm. Being in southwestern PA, we get the bad weather from all directions. The amount of clouds/fog/rain/etc... we've gotten this year has pretty much killed my astrophotography attempts since January. Prior years, I had 3x the amount of successful trips to the lake with clear skies... this year... it's like 2016's weather was bragging about a pittance of cloudy weather, and 2017 rolled in and said "hold my beer". On top of that, the wildlife has been strangely absent this year at our state park. Yeah, there's the standard deer (the doe are overpopulated, making them a constant driving hazard here), but fewer birds. The most notable wildlife that I saw this year "looked" like a greatly oversized woodpecker (don't know what it actually was) back in the winter/early spring months. I only wish I had been able to get a picture of that thing for identification purposes, as it was the size of a small dog (think yorkie sized).

Oh well, it isn't Pennsylvania weather without the doom and gloom, I guess.