Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The sun is out.... the sun is out,, it's -15ºC but the suns out.

11-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

This plus kids' outdoor activities, being on call and simple exhaustion from overwork are the reasons I dropped out of Single In and may remain dropped out permanently. I thought I was going to be able to keep a 35/3.5 Super Tak on my S1a for the whole of the month, but I've already given in and remounted the 55/2.0; I need those extra 1.5-ish stops to keep my shutter speed up, even with 400 ASA film, and I am even contemplating resorting to the Thorium Beast (Super Tak 50/1.4).
11-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This plus kids' outdoor activities, being on call and simple exhaustion from overwork are the reasons I dropped out of Single In and may remain dropped out permanently. I thought I was going to be able to keep a 35/3.5 Super Tak on my S1a for the whole of the month, but I've already given in and remounted the 55/2.0; I need those extra 1.5-ish stops to keep my shutter speed up, even with 400 ASA film, and I am even contemplating resorting to the Thorium Beast (Super Tak 50/1.4).
Desperate measures for desperate times.
11-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's been a really bad year, and right now is worse. The weather man promises us sunshine, but it never comes.
I can't remember it being this bad other years. The rain and wet started in the spring and just never stopped. If I lived near a mall, I'd go an hang out there. Watching people buy cellphones at mall Kiosks would be more exciting than this.

I've taken 3 pictures I actually like even a little bit all week, and it's Friday. It's not like I haven't tried, at least 100 attempts. Low light, slow shutter speeds, motion blur, lot's of missed focus. Cameras pushed to the highest acceptable ISO. What's guy to do?
Sounds like it's tripod time. Paired with an ND filter you could get some interesting streaky skies out of all that gray.

Our bad weather this week has been clear, sunny, and kind of windy which can be challenging. I've been focusing on stuff like shadows and sun stars.

11-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree that macro is still an option, but the last couple of times I've tried to log on to Flickr I get the "bad panda" page with a promise that they are working on the problem, so even if you get some shots you might not be able to post them. Meanwhile I'm getting threatening messages from Photobucket - I expect to lose my avatar any day now.
We are getting some sunshine in Toronto today - maybe too bright - and it seems to be shining on Norm as well. But the colder temperatures call for extra batteries.
11-10-2017, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I agree that macro is still an option, but the last couple of times I've tried to log on to Flickr I get the "bad panda" page with a promise that they are working on the problem, so even if you get some shots you might not be able to post them. Meanwhile I'm getting threatening messages from Photobucket - I expect to lose my avatar any day now.
We are getting some sunshine in Toronto today - maybe too bright - and it seems to be shining on Norm as well. But the colder temperatures call for extra batteries.
Ha ha, not if all you do is run out and shoot in your driveway,and backyard.

Last edited by normhead; 11-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.
11-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Snow!
Lucky you!

11-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #23
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Anyone else finding this dull weather interfering with their photgraphy?
No.

The problem is more that it kills any and all inspiration, thus there is no photography to interfere with...

On second thought: Yes.
11-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Snow!
Lucky you!
The first of the year. I really can't complain, not where I live.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
No.

The problem is more that it kills any and all inspiration, thus there is no photography to interfere with...

On second thought: Yes.
Denial, it's not just a river in Africa.
11-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I guess I am on the flip side of this here in Delaware where the constant weather pattern for the last two years has been above normal temperatures (except today) and below normal precipitation. By now the vernal (frog and duck) pond in my yard should be filling up, with the wood ducks and mallards returning. Now it is just a depression in the woods filled with fallen leaves. Hopefully things will even out for both our regions, but you can always brave the elements and get good bird photographs. They don't seem to mind when the weather turns dreary.
11-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #26
Pentaxian

In reference to normheads' first post which I found described something similar to what I experienced this year. This Spring I would look at the forecast and see that the weather prediction was for let's say a week of rainy days. Not that I couldn't hack some light rain due to my lens and camera being WR, but the predictions were usually for more than light rain. So I would figure on just waiting to go shooting when there was a break in the rainy weather. But the forecasts kept continuing for rain. At first I avoided it because it made the trails in the Adirondacks icy due to the freezing rain factor, then when it got warmer I avoided it due to muddy trail factor, but it continued through the Summer. I don't mind the clouds or overcast days because a photographer can do wonders in those conditions (even light) with a tripod, but the thought of some water getting past my WR in steady rain was not in my interest. So I limited myself to a few very productive trips when there were clouds, but not steady rain, where my tripod was very useful in helping with the low light. Maybe next year will be different.
11-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #27
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Norm those photos look fine. I know what you are saying about the weather I am to the west of you in Manitoba. So when it gets really cloudy I do B&W. We just need more snow so I can get the snow shoes out and see what mother nature has done for me.
11-11-2017, 05:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 77tbholmes Quote
Hey Norm those photos look fine. I know what you are saying about the weather I am to the west of you in Manitoba. So when it gets really cloudy I do B&W. We just need more snow so I can get the snow shoes out and see what mother nature has done for me.
We make about 15 km of snow shoe tracks in the bush behind our house every year. But usually not until after Chrstmas. It's -18 this morning and we have a some snow on the ground, but it's going to take another few snow falls before we can start packing down trails.
11-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If we get -18 in Missouri (once every 25 or so years) everything breaks.
11-11-2017, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #30

Asking an international forum about “this dull weather” is a bit insular. Where I am, driving 20km gives me totally different weather. 15000km away, well you are in winter and I am in summer. I have not had dull weather in months.