Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here in Michigan it has been rather miserable this year. The spring was wet and cold. Then we went right into a extremely hot summer. This fall it has just rained and rained. Now it is about -10 Celsius out. There has only been a handful of really nice days to go out. I have seen the least amount of birds this year than any year before. When you rely on the weekends for going out it makes it even worse.

11-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Here in Michigan it has been rather miserable this year. The spring was wet and cold. Then we went right into a extremely hot summer. This fall it has just rained and rained. Now it is about -10 Celsius out. There has only been a handful of really nice days to go out. I have seen the least amount of birds this year than any year before. When you rely on the weekends for going out it makes it even worse.
I was out in the blind today, all we have is Blue jays, and a few Chickadees. No nuthatches, no Woodpeckers, no Finches.... it was a big year for cones, so I imagine most of them are out in the bush pigging out on all that free food.
11-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #33
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Norm
I guess the rest of the world knows where the rain has gone to!

Dave
11-12-2017, 01:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

In Italy now it's hunting season: despite the weather it's better not walking around in the country...otherwise my skull will be hanging from someone' s home wall. No more Pentaxforums... sigh...for sure I wouldn't see much of (live) wildlife...too bad...

11-12-2017, 05:00 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
In Italy now it's hunting season: despite the weather it's better not walking around in the country...otherwise my skull will be hanging from someone' s home wall.
I had no idea that Pentaxforums were admitting deer as members.
11-12-2017, 05:54 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I had no idea that Pentaxforums were admitting deer as members.
That's because I'm more the wild boar kind. Poor me...
11-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I thought the wild boar were more a Germanic thing, but you learn something every day. Here in Canada we have a thing for wearing camo-pattern blaze orange, which the wildlife can't see as such but hunters can (or should), and a similar rule where I used to live in Australia (and the state forests were full of feral swine for hunters to shoot in a controlled manner). Is this also the case in Italy, or do the boars there see in colour?

11-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

no...wild boar here in Italy exist , given that someone in the past (a greedy hunter?) has crossed native boars (small ones) with large hungarian boars (much much bigger). Typically in Tuscany wild boars (the biggest ones) are a problem because they damage vineyards. Where I live they're not common because we're in the plain. Some kilometers north (50-100) in the mountains there's their habitat and, also, you'll find bears (not exactly what you'd expect in Italy...doesn't it?!) . 50 kms from here we have mountains high as 3000 mt. When I go in the country or in the mountains I always wear techincal clothing but the law here doesn't impose specific clothing for hunters. The real risk comes from hunters tht don't respect the rules: the hve to stay away from paths but sometimes they come close and shoot . If they have light munitions for birds at 20-30 mt distance the shoot isn't lethal but for sure a bad experience.

Last edited by bm75; 11-12-2017 at 06:57 AM.
11-12-2017, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In Italy now it's hunting season: despite the weather it's better not walking around in the country...otherwise my skull will be hanging from someone' s home wall. No more Pentaxforums... sigh...for sure I wouldn't see much of (live) wildlife...too bad...
Same for where I am in Ontario, this puts a bigger damper on my outdoor activities than the weather. We could use a set of blaze orange cameras and lenses.

In any case, depressing weather or stray bullets, I've enough things indoors to photograph or work on that I'm never bored.
11-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I find the bad weather a special time to portray old cities, especially with fog and darkness. There's so much detail in those ancient churches, walls, medioeval cities that it seems to me the bad wheather gives them a special light .
11-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Same for where I am in Ontario, this puts a bigger damper on my outdoor activities than the weather. We could use a set of blaze orange cameras and lenses.

In any case, depressing weather or stray bullets, I've enough things indoors to photograph or work on that I'm never bored.
I live in Northern Ontario. I wear a blaze orange toque or cap in the bush during hunting season, but a vest would be better.

Crap weather and hunters are the least of my worries lately. I went for a colonoscopy on Halloween day, and the surgeon punctured my colon. The ambulance ride was unbelievably painful, surgery that night to remove 4" of my bowel, followed by four days' recovery in hospital. I finished the antibiotic treatment a couple of days ago, which finally ended the side-effect headaches. I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds for the rest of the month. No bush hikes for me for a while
11-12-2017, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

I agree, I have been out in the field shooting ducks with my K-3 and 55-300 PLM or DA*200 and I am sometimes out there with others who are shooting the same ducks with bullets. The weather never stopped me but I never liked the idea that getting close enough for a good picture could get me in real trouble. Luckily the wildlife refuges like Bombay Hook and Prime Hook in Delaware are safe. Hunting (mainly to control the over population of deer) is very carefully regulated.
11-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I find the bad weather a special time to portray old cities, especially with fog and darkness. There's so much detail in those ancient churches, walls, medioeval cities that it seems to me the bad wheather gives them a special light .
That deftly isn't Whitney, there's only a few building left in Whitney from 100 years ago, they and they aren't anything to write home about. We have clapboard buildings waiting to be replaced if there is another lumber boom.

We do't even wear camp-orange, we wear bright orange. At times we go into the park, just to get away from the hunters. But with these freezing temps, the deer hunt is a lot less than what it has been other years.

---------- Post added 11-12-17 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I live in Northern Ontario. I wear a blaze orange toque or cap in the bush during hunting season, but a vest would be better.

Crap weather and hunters are the least of my worries lately. I went for a colonoscopy on Halloween day, and the surgeon punctured my colon. The ambulance ride was unbelievably painful, surgery that night to remove 4" of my bowel, followed by four days' recovery in hospital. I finished the antibiotic treatment a couple of days ago, which finally ended the side-effect headaches. I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds for the rest of the month. No bush hikes for me for a while
Take care Dan. Nothing weighs on my psyche more than not being able to get out in the bush.
11-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

Wow, this scares the $#!t out of me since I am due for my age 65 colonoscopy. I am very sorry to hear this and wish you a quick and complete recovery.
11-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #45
Veteran Member

We're on your side Audiobomber. Take care