Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks guys, I'm pretty much past it now, but it was a hell-ride and an aggravating disruption of my life.

Timing is good for my annual winter swan feedings.There are about 10 trumpeters and 100+ ducks who visit a small patch of open water after freeze-up, where I and a few others bring them corn. The bags are 50 lbs each, and i should be able to heft them by the time the lakes freeze.

---------- Post added 2017-11-12 at 11:05 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Wow, this scares the $#!t out of me since I am due for my age 65 colonoscopy. I am very sorry to hear this and wish you a quick and complete recovery.
No trouble for me the first time I had one. I was told the incidence of colon puncture is about 1/20,000. I guess my number was up.

11-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

@normhead :
This is what looks like the dull weather in autumn here in this part of Italy. Fog....
Sorry guys this was shoot from my car window with Nikon gear.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7100  Photo 
11-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Thanks guys, I'm pretty much past it now, but it was a hell-ride and an aggravating disruption of my life.

Timing is good for my annual winter swan feedings.There are about 10 trumpeters and 100+ ducks who visit a small patch of open water after freeze-up, where I and a few others bring them corn. The bags are 50 lbs each, and i should be able to heft them by the time the lakes freeze.

---------- Post added 2017-11-12 at 11:05 ----------

No trouble for me the first time I had one. I was told the incidence of colon puncture is about 1/20,000. I guess my number was up.
Can you post a picture of the Trumpeters? I would really like to get a look at them. Here in Delaware we have mute swans which are an invasive species but during the winter months we can get lots of wintering tundra swans which are a lot smaller than the trumpeters.
11-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Can you post a picture of the Trumpeters? I would really like to get a look at them. Here in Delaware we have mute swans which are an invasive species but during the winter months we can get lots of wintering tundra swans which are a lot smaller than the trumpeters.

More images here: Browser no longer supported

Three swans in these photos, H70, L31 and the cygnets' mother are no longer with us. L31 disappeared and did not reappear in any reported trumpeter swan sightings in the past couple of years. The breeding female had four cygnets that I am ware of, She died a cruel and extended death from lead poisoning. H70 was my special friend, He was pretty much ostracized by the group because of an old wing injury that prevented flight. He was struck by a vehicle and killed while crossing a road. He left a big void, he was a real personality. I grieved for him like I would a favourite pet. One of the photos in the page linked above shows me feeding him on our first meeting, in 2008. .

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-12-2017 at 02:37 PM.
11-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

More images here: Browser no longer supported

Three swans in these photos, H70, L31 and the cygnets' mother are no longer with us. L31 disappeared and did not reappear in any reported trumpeter swan sightings in the past couple of years. The breeding female had four cygnets that I am ware of, She died a cruel and extended death from lead poisoning. H70 was my special friend, He was pretty much ostracized by the group because of an old wing injury that prevented flight. He was struck by a vehicle and killed while crossing a road. He left a big void, he was a real personality. I grieved for him like I would a favourite pet. One of the photos in the page linked above shows me feeding him on our first meeting, in 2008. .
Nice shots, such beautiful birds. Its amazing how tolerant they are of all of these ducks around them. The mute swans would aggressively chase away all of the ducks but the tundra swans, like the trumpeters are not aggressive. I am awaiting the tundras arrival in the wildlife refuges down here, it is an incredible sight, and sound when the flocks of swans arrive. They should be here by now but the long spells of much warmer than average temperatures seems to be affecting their migration schedules.
Hope you are feeling better.
11-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Nice shots, such beautiful birds. Its amazing how tolerant they are of all of these ducks around them. The mute swans would aggressively chase away all of the ducks but the tundra swans, like the trumpeters are not aggressive. I am awaiting the tundras arrival in the wildlife refuges down here, it is an incredible sight, and sound when the flocks of swans arrive. They should be here by now but the long spells of much warmer than average temperatures seems to be affecting their migration schedules.
Hope you are feeling better.
I've only seen Tundras in large flocks from a distance. They are much more timid than the Trumpeters. I feed some of these birds from my hand. Most of the swans prefer their whole corn thrown into the water. If it's on land, the ducks swarm so aggressively that the swans can't compete. I've seen the duck horde vacuum up 50 lbs of corn in 10 minutes. I always make sure the Trumpeters get their fill. Two years ago we had a brutal winter. I fed them 600 lbs of corn. I couldn't get to them last winter because of my job. This is my first year of retirement, so I will be there several times a week. They are a pitiful site in -20 to -40 degree weather.

I'm feeling better every day. I was able to have a beer yesterday and a couple of whiskies tonight, finally, after two weeks of abstention.
11-13-2017, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
@normhead :
This is what looks like the dull weather in autumn here in this part of Italy. Fog....
Sorry guys this was shoot from my car window with Nikon gear.
At least you've got some sun there. If it's Nikon gear, i can't tell...

11-14-2017, 12:16 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If it's Nikon gear, i can't tell...
Ah Ah it's not. I didn't read in the instruction book of the D7100 that its powerful (just a joke) Af would force the sun to come up in the sky... Yes, still a japanese camera (from the Land of the rising sun..)
11-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
We are into another dark day...... there is supposed to be a few sunny periods this afternoon, I'm going to have to be ready.
11-21-2017, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Norm, you could wait for clear skies at night and try to grab shots of the aurora. Last night was a pretty good night for it in canada apparently from what the auroracast app on my phone showed (especially if you were in quebec or near newf.).
11-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Norm, you could wait for clear skies at night and try to grab shots of the aurora. Last night was a pretty good night for it in canada apparently from what the auroracast app on my phone showed (especially if you were in quebec or near newf.).
I'm too old for that stuff. I can't even stay up for my lifelong football team's (Ohio State) late games. If the sporting event goes on past 10:00 I'm in bed for the finish. And if I do stay up, I'm a tired wreck for two or three more days after the event. I leave that stuff to the young guys who don't seem to suffer at all. . My hours are 10 to 4, and four is time to sit down, watch my images go by on my screen saver, and share a beer with my wife. The "slideshow " is like a photo history of our life and often leads to "remember when" conversations.. After 4 it's dinner and Netflix. You get to be so boringly predictable when you get old.

I know some young guys who shoot all hours of the day and night, but they'd have to drag me out of bed kicking and screaming to get me doing what they do.
11-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sun yesterday so I headed north to Holland Marsh. There's a movement of Snowy Owls into southern Ontario and in the past it's been a good place for owls and hawks. The marsh is a huge market gardening area and requires a lot of driving around. Nothing but a distant crow and a row of pigeons on a power line. I took a pic of an old building (see "textures" thread) and that was it. Nobody talks about the times you go out and you just get skunked.
11-22-2017, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #58
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The weather this morning didn't inspire any lengthy shooting sessions

Quick phone shot on my way to catch a bus.
11-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Sun yesterday so I headed north to Holland Marsh. There's a movement of Snowy Owls into southern Ontario and in the past it's been a good place for owls and hawks. The marsh is a huge market gardening area and requires a lot of driving around. Nothing but a distant crow and a row of pigeons on a power line. I took a pic of an old building (see "textures" thread) and that was it. Nobody talks about the times you go out and you just get skunked.
I've been hanging around, my gear is all packed, I spent an hour and a half refilling all my feeders for my local birds. It's supposed to be sunny, but it's snowing. Hopefully at some point it will get brighter but until then I'm house bound.
11-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Eh, just go out shooting around 7pm and you should be able to see the aurora on a strong night, lol. Also, I find myself fortunate that I no longer live near OSU stadium, as the OSU fans tended to back up traffic, and steal our apt. complex parking spots.