Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

A picture is worth a thousand words

A Year or so ago I came out of the closet and started posting to this sight after sucking up the shared knowledge for a while. I have offered my humble opinion, shared cost effective equipment , some cures for ailments etc. From the very beginning in about 95% of the time I have submitted photos to help explain these postings. I have noticed (with the exception of Post your Photos) that about 95% of the postings don't include any photos and a lot of times have to be asked to post an example. There is no such thing as a bad answer or a bad photo (in this instance) so please get a mit and get in the game and post an example of what you are talking about . THIS IS A PHOTOGRAPHY SITE PLEASE

11-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I prefer Rod Stewart's analogy. Every picture tells a story don't it?
11-20-2017, 12:02 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bobo Quote
A Year or so ago I came out of the closet and started posting to this sight after sucking up the shared knowledge for a while. I have offered my humble opinion, shared cost effective equipment , some cures for ailments etc. From the very beginning in about 95% of the time I have submitted photos to help explain these postings. I have noticed (with the exception of Post your Photos) that about 95% of the postings don't include any photos and a lot of times have to be asked to post an example. There is no such thing as a bad answer or a bad photo (in this instance) so please get a mit and get in the game and post an example of what you are talking about . THIS IS A PHOTOGRAPHY SITE PLEASE

You certainly have a point there, Bruce. And yes, a brand-dedicated photography forum without actual samples of photography of all kinds, be it for illustrating a problem or a possible solution, inviting critique, competing in contests, showing off what our Pentax gear can do, or for the mere fun of sharing images that mean something to us, would be a rather bland enterprise.

Yet I guess we must accept that not everybody feels like attaching an image to every single post that they make, especially when it would be mere decoration without meaningful connection to the purpose of their writing, which can vary a lot. Upload budgets depending on membership status may also influence the frequency of sharing - I personally find that I'm sharing significantly more since I've enjoyed a little more leeway in that regard -, as will the display quality you can easily achieve when you upload high- or full-res versions of images. I notice that quite a few posters include images that directly link to higher-res versions on their Flickr pages when you click on them, but unfortunately I have been at a loss so far as to how I can do this with images on my SmugMug site.

As a general reminder that adding images makes many posts just so much more meaningful, helpful, and engaging, I can sure endorse your move, Bruce, though I can't think of a fitting illustration to my present post, or ... hang on (self-irony mode on):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 11-20-2017 at 12:15 PM.
11-20-2017, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madaboutpix Quote
. Hang on (self-irony mode on):
PERFECTnow pull your head out !

Last edited by honey bo bo; 05-29-2018 at 10:01 AM.
11-20-2017, 12:21 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the hard part is that a lot of times you post something and people start criticizing your technique or post processing. I do try to post images, hopefully that add something to threads, but often you open yourself up to criticism at that point too.
11-20-2017, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
start criticizing your technique or post processing.
u open yourself up to criticism at that point too.
I havn't seen a lot of real criticism; most of it is a critique trying to be helpful or suggestions on how to do it another way (their way) and there are the odd Bull Headed Posters with the only way is theirs! But I for one appreciate your critiques & suggestions backed up with photos. Thank you

Last edited by honey bo bo; 05-29-2018 at 10:01 AM.
11-20-2017, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the hard part is that a lot of times you post something and people start criticizing your technique or post processing. I do try to post images, hopefully that add something to threads, but often you open yourself up to criticism at that point too.
I suspect that HBB's complaint is related to the practice of reporting a performance deficiency or troubleshooting request and never sharing an example of what the issue is. I suspect that part of the problem is that many users don't know how to do a crop at the desired resolution (usually full resolution for pixel-peeping) and or have a general complaint of softness or lack of punch that is not easily demonstrated at Web resolutions.

I have seen such threads continue for dozens of pages with the OP never showing the problem.

Steve

11-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have seen such threads continue for dozens of pages with the OP never showing the problem.
Did he/she catch it?
11-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My own experience is that this is one of the most positive forums/discussion websites I have visited. This has always made my time spent at Pentax Forums a pleasure. Indeed, I have posted some absolutely horrid cell phone pix for illustration and never have had a comment about the photos - only my sometimes strange ideas.

I strongly agree with the Honey Bo Bo. Pictures tell a story we can't always tell clearly or succinctly with words. As a retired teacher, I can know the value of a good illustration to aid understanding. In my personal experience of teaching mathematics, a graphic could bring a topic from the abstract to the concrete.

Speaking of pictures. Honey Bo Bo is a guy named Bruce!? Who knew? Maybe we can't always depend on the photos.

Last edited by AggieDad; 11-20-2017 at 07:02 PM.
11-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Did he/she catch it?
The dog? It was her first exploration under the deck and she (thankfully) came right back out.

Steve
11-20-2017, 08:23 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The dog? It was her first exploration under the deck and she (thankfully) came right back out.

Steve
And thats the rest of the Story. Thanks Steve
By the way my last picture is wooden Moose Foot Prints screwed to the bottom of Running Shoes. My buddy used them in the fall to have some fun in Moose hunting camps at night so when they got up in the morning WELL...........................

Last edited by honey bo bo; 11-20-2017 at 08:29 PM.
11-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The dog?
Does she have a name? LOL

And to Bruce, I thought your first post was for those who need help and refuse to provide photos to get help. Was I miss thinking this?

I have photos posted here that I'm not proud of, but I also learned a lot after joining this forum and not all of it was about my photos.
11-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Does she have a name? LOL

And to Bruce, I thought your first post was for those who need help and refuse to provide photos to get help. Was I miss thinking this?

I have photos posted here that I'm not proud of, but I also learned a lot after joining this forum and not all of it was about my photos.
Yes you are.
11-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So the whole concept of this thread was to get others thoughts on posting photos in the forum, only?
11-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
So the whole concept of this thread was to get others thoughts on posting photos in the forum, only?
Not only. And to post photos not just for problems but for every thing where a photo would add a thousand words to enhance the discussion and don't worry whether its a good or bad photo. At a minimum your mother will like your Photo!