Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Is there a need to construct a new word when the word 'bokeh' describes it all perfectly?
How about 'Hokeh' ?

11-26-2017, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Bokeholics have turned it primerily into background in discussions I have read and it is rare that Foreground is even mentioned.
Maybe the discussion happens that way due to the smaller number of images using front blur as a framing tool as opposed to the number of images with background blur and therefore people tend to, er, focus on (pardon the pun) background blur when discussing bokeh.

Here's a second opinion on bokeh: https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cln_archiv/cln35_en...cial_bokeh.pdf It's 45 pages long and discusses depth of field and bokeh.

But all that stuff aside, if you just want to create a new word trend all I can say is: Why not? Fokeh is catchy and it's better that the internet creation: 'addicting', an irrelevant word when we already have addictive.

Anyhoo just start using Fokeh all the time and it will take off, after all it works in politics.
11-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Then reclaim the word.
DONE ! I am !

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 06:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I agree the 55-300 gives some great bokeh
And I don't have to think a lot chasing critters

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 06:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I call it ugly photography. I really don't like out of focus stuff in the foreground.
Oh Oh ! A cup of Warm Milk perhaps.

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 06:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The rough translation (non-photo related) for bokeh in Japanese in English is "blur". Of course we know blur in English would technically mean a shutter speed too slow causing motion blur....but everyone accepts it now to mean the aesthetically pleasing out of focus (a.k.a. unacceptable sharpness) areas in the image (both fore and background).

So to answer your question, the answer is 'bokeh'.

From my experience the lenses that produce beautiful background bokeh, also produce nice foreground bokeh. Foreground bokeh is harder to look pleasing, unless the intention in POV, tilt-shift, or you can find nice backlit leaves to create a filtering effect.

The only time I've seen the word "fokeh" used was on cell phones that have a camera app that creates "fake bokeh". So I guess if you're using an app or adding gaussian or any other simulated blur in post processing, that is called fokeh.
I made it up before Trump did ! Dibbs!

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Clearly very much a matter of personal taste. I really like it... I think it can add a real sense of space, distance and separation of the subject when used correctly, and the above photos are good examples of this
Thanks Mac I learned that in Grade 1 Photog Composition It gives a 3D look to me

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
How about 'Hokeh' ?
I think that's what the Kids are getting me for Christmas for when I start my Self Medication here in good old Kannada

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 06:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Maybe the discussion happens that way due to the smaller number of images using front blur as a framing tool as opposed to the number of images with background blur and therefore people tend to, er, focus on (pardon the pun) background blur when discussing bokeh.

Here's a second opinion on bokeh: https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cln_archiv/cln35_en...cial_bokeh.pdf It's 45 pages long and discusses depth of field and bokeh.

But all that stuff aside, if you just want to create a new word trend all I can say is: Why not? Fokeh is catchy and it's better that the internet creation: 'addicting', an irrelevant word when we already have addictive.

Anyhoo just start using Fokeh all the time and it will take off, after all it works in politics.
I'm starting to get a head ach with all this thinking and potential reading and the thought of Trump stealing my new word and we aren't covered under Canada Health I may have to start Self Medicating before Xmas.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 11-26-2017 at 04:28 PM.
11-26-2017, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm starting to get a head ach with all this thinking and potential reading and the thought of Trump stealing my new word and we aren't covered under Canada Health I may have to start Self Medicating before Xmas.
Ne'er mind, if it's all getting too much you can spend some time waking up to sunrise here on the Brisbane river.
(X-post)

It won't be a white Christmas though, you'd have to spend your time in t-shirt & shorts, going to the beach and suffering through warm summer evening BBQ's. We're evil like that around here.

Last edited by Tas; 11-26-2017 at 05:42 PM.
11-26-2017, 05:30 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love fokeh.

A cure for flatness in a picture, IMHO.

Try shooting people with bits of other people as fokeh ... makes for an intimate, candid feel.

Last edited by clackers; 11-26-2017 at 06:36 PM.
11-27-2017, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Then of course there are occasions where "nokeh" is appropriate.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 12-09-2017 at 05:20 PM.
11-27-2017, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Love fokeh.

A cure for flatness in a picture, IMHO.

Try shooting people with bits of other people as fokeh ... makes for an intimate, candid feel.
Where's he gonna put MOM

11-27-2017, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Fokeh" could be confusing as "fauxkeh" already seems claimed to mean bokeh faked in software (seems popular with the portrait modes on iphones).

Maybe "frokeh"? It appears to have some traction for "front bokeh", but it might need championing to keep the large haired bokeh crowd from appropriating it.
11-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Fokeh from the Plum Tree

Here is a female Downy woodpecker in my plum tree. Due to my limited angles to catch her in focus I ended up with Bokeh, "Fokeh" and a bit of "Snowkeh" just above and behind her.
HD 55-300PLM 300mm, f6.3 ISO 400.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
11-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Here is a female Downy woodpecker in my plum tree. Due to my limited angles to catch her in focus I ended up with Bokeh, "Fokeh" and a bit of "Snowkeh" just above and behind her.
HD 55-300PLM 300mm, f6.3 ISO 400.
That's what I'm talking about ! I think you should drop the "w" though in Snowkeh before submitting to Websters . IMHO
11-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Snowkeh vs Snokeh

That's what I'm talking about ! I think you should drop the "w" though in Snowkeh before submitting to Websters . IMHO
Webster's won't take my calls anymore. I do love the Bokeh, "frokeh" and "snokeh" on the new PLM version of the 55-300 with the rounded blades.
11-27-2017, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Where's he gonna put MOM
He's running out of real estate, isn't he?
11-27-2017, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
He's running out of real estate, isn't he?
Clowns? Really? don't they have mental health professionals where you are Ian?
11-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

Maybe "frokeh"? It appears to have some traction for "front bokeh", but it might need championing to keep the large haired bokeh crowd from appropriating it.
If it means annoying that 'Fro Knows' YouTube vlogger, I'm all for it, Brian!
11-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Clowns? Really? don't they have mental health professionals where you are Ian?
(Laughs)

It's a pretty interesting subculture, SSGG. You can see the set of pics this came from here:

Melbourne Tattoo Show - PentaxForums.com