Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

" Bokeh" or "Fokeh"

One of the methods to " frame your picture" is to introduce something in the foreground and soften the focus so it frames but doesn't become part of the prime image and of course just like background Bokeh it helps to frame. What do we call the soft focusing in the Front / "f"ront okeh similar to "b"ack okeh or is it all "Bokeh". I find that the HD DA 55-300 WR does this beautifully.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 01-06-2018 at 10:47 AM.
11-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Technically bokeh is a name for the aesthetic quality of the out-of-focus area(s) in the picture. It's just that so many bokeholics put something isolated in the foreground and leave the background blurred that it's been taken to mean a blurred background.
11-26-2017, 09:07 AM - 5 Likes   #3

Fokeh? Isn't that what Max Immelmann used to fly in WWI?
11-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I raised a similar question some time ago and was "politely" told their are whole chapters on the subject in photography textbooks,who knew?

Like this

Last edited by timb64; 11-26-2017 at 09:52 AM.
11-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I raised a similar question some time ago and was "politely" told their are whole chapters on the subject in photography textbooks,who knew?
So did they read them and get back to you !
Your picture is great you have Fokeh but no Bokeh. What lens & f stop did you use?

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 12:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Technically bokeh is a name for the aesthetic quality of the out-of-focus area(s) in the picture. It's just that so many bokeholics put something isolated in the foreground and leave the background blurred that it's been taken to mean a blurred background.
Sorry Doc I need a second opinion

Last edited by honey bo bo; 11-26-2017 at 10:01 AM.
11-26-2017, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Sorry Doc I need a second opinion
Your condition is called Pentaxophilia; there is no known cure, and the treatment required is lifelong and potentially very expensive.
11-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

So did they read them and get back to you !
Your picture is great you have Fokeh but no Bokeh. What lens & f stop did you use?

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 12:13 PM ----------

Thanks it was a DA16-85WR at f8

11-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Thanks it was a DA16-85WR at f8
I Still get the Bokeh & Fokeh even @ f8 with the 55-300 WR it has something to do with the Focal range of Lens at that aperture. I just love it especially with wildlife because you are always trying to photograph something with cover all around it.
11-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is there a need to construct a new word when the word 'bokeh' describes it all perfectly?
11-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
bokeh' describes it all perfectly?
Hardly as Doc said Bokeholics have turned it primerily into background in discussions I have read and it is rare that Foreground is even mentioned. As I have said the foreground is just as or more important to me for affect and a lot of times is intentionally pursued to enhance the photograph and isolate the prime subject.
11-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hardly as Doc said Bokeholics have turned it primerily into background in discussions I have read and it is rare that Foreground is even mentioned. As I have said the foreground is just as or more important to me for affect and a lot of times is intentionally pursued to enhance the photograph and isolate the prime subject.
Then reclaim the word.
11-26-2017, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I Still get the Bokeh & Fokeh even @ f8 with the 55-300 WR it has something to do with the Focal range of Lens at that aperture. I just love it especially with wildlife because you are always trying to photograph something with cover all around it.
I agree the 55-300 gives some great bokeh

11-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the methods to " frame your picture" is to introduce something in the foreground and soften the focus so it frames but doesn't become part of the prime image and of course just like background Bokeh it helps to frame. What do we call the soft focusing in the Front / "f"ront okeh similar to "b"ack okeh or is it all "Bokeh". I find that the HD DA 55-300 WR does this beautifully.
I call it ugly photography. I really don't like out of focus stuff in the foreground.
11-26-2017, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What do we call the soft focusing in the Front / "f"ront okeh similar to "b"ack okeh or is it all "Bokeh".
The rough translation (non-photo related) for bokeh in Japanese in English is "blur". Of course we know blur in English would technically mean a shutter speed too slow causing motion blur....but everyone accepts it now to mean the aesthetically pleasing out of focus (a.k.a. unacceptable sharpness) areas in the image (both fore and background).

So to answer your question, the answer is 'bokeh'.

From my experience the lenses that produce beautiful background bokeh, also produce nice foreground bokeh. Foreground bokeh is harder to look pleasing, unless the intention in POV, tilt-shift, or you can find nice backlit leaves to create a filtering effect.

The only time I've seen the word "fokeh" used was on cell phones that have a camera app that creates "fake bokeh". So I guess if you're using an app or adding gaussian or any other simulated blur in post processing, that is called fokeh.
11-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I call it ugly photography. I really don't like out of focus stuff in the foreground.
Clearly very much a matter of personal taste. I really like it... I think it can add a real sense of space, distance and separation of the subject when used correctly, and the above photos are good examples of this