Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2017, 03:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well this is interesting. The competition series winner Hakan Simsek has altered his series "Out of Breath" on his web site, removing some and adding other images, and I have to say it works much better as a series, and in relationship with the introductory text.

Now it is telling a heartfelt story, and is not just a collection of random images with homogeneous tonality.

Out Of Breath

12-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He's still coming across to me as a patronising, pretentious git with a death obsession. But now having won the prize, he's retconned his work, and IMO that's cheating.
12-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
He's still coming across to me as a patronising, pretentious git with a death obsession. But now having won the prize, he's retconned his work, and IMO that's cheating.
Wow, you're doubling down on this. That is... revealing.
12-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Well this is interesting. The competition series winner Hakan Simsek has altered his series "Out of Breath" on his web site, removing some and adding other images, and I have to say it works much better as a series, and in relationship with the introductory text.

Now it is telling a heartfelt story, and is not just a collection of random images with homogeneous tonality.

Out Of Breath

I get the feeling that what we're seeing now is the series as Simsek originally intended it. My guess is that he switched in some other shots that he thought might suit the competition better, but has now reverted. Although that's pure speculation on my part, of course.

I'm glad to see that my favourites from the series are still there. It's the third to the tenth that appeal to me the most, and I can't help thinking that the new photographs at the beginning and end are a bit too obvious in their birth-life-death message. It's still a memorable series though, and the man with the hat and glasses will stay with me for a long time -- it looks like a Magritte reimagined by Francis Bacon.

I have no intention of trying to tell anyone else what they should and shouldn't like, but I'll happily say that the photographs in Hakan Simsek's winning set appeal to me immensely. I liked Dougie Wallace's set even better, admittedly, but then I already loved his work. His "Harrodsburg" project blew my mind when I first saw it, and still does.